Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Comments

• fawke83fawke83 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭
    Oh, I found a review a guy from another forum that I participate wrote, that actually sums pretty much what I felt with this movie. It's long, but, if you're trying to understand some of my frustrations with the film:

The Amazing Spider-Man 2

The only thing that eludes the cinematic superhero genre more often than a compelling villain is a moving romance. In that sense, Marc Webb's The Amazing Spider-Man 2 practically deserves applause for so beautifully capturing the spectacular spark of young love between Spidey/Peter Parker (Andrew Garfield) and Gwen Stacy (Emma Stone). The perfectly cast actors have wildly exciting chemistry and Webb brings out a tender naturalism in the stars' scenes together. Their fumbling, bumbling cuteness when sharing the screen is infectiously adorable and hugely refreshing in the midst of blockbuster chaos. But hold that applause, or most of it at least, because countering the high of sweet romance here is the low of a vapid villain vortex that threatens to suck Spidey's latest adventure into a ghastly pit of expensive enemy-exhausted embarrassment.

An army of antagonists is unleashed here, giving Spidey plenty of foes to battle and Webb plenty of time to waste. This really is Spider-Man 3 all over again, where multiple villains pop up at opportune times after comical or rushed introductions and form some epic vendetta against our webhead hero with befuddling motivation as their only driving force. Putting aside how conspicuously odd it is to write about an old Spider-Man 3 when the new movie is a Spider-Man 2, it's tough to get on board with this portion of Webb's vision when he's apparently so eager to recycle the mistakes of the franchise's previous phase.

It's not like Rhys Ifan's Curt Conners/The Lizard from Webb's 2012 Spidey reboot was a great and memorable bad guy, but he had a serviceable sense of purpose and made a fine enough impression in his human form to carry some dramatic weight over into the action sequences. This latest batch of villains can make no such claim, though. They're nearly top-to-bottom disasters, good actors hampered by bad writing that in turn inspires them to try their hands at being bad actors. Jamie Foxx fares the worst as nerdy electrical engineer Max Dillon, whose basement-level self-esteem issues are at war with Foxx's natural charisma.

Max is so horribly down in the dumps that it's hard not to feel for the guy and Foxx does what he can in these early scenes, despite the attempts by the makeup department to humiliate him. But when a terrible work accident transforms him into a glowing blue embodiment of electricity who adopts the moniker Electro, everything goes off the rails. Foxx struggles to be intimidating and anything but really silly at this point, while credited screenwriters Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci, and Jeff Pinkner (James Vanderbilt shares a "screen story" credit with these guys, too) all seem at a complete loss as for how to handle everything from dialogue to basic villainous incentives.

Pre-Electro Max used to idolize Spider-Man, but when Spidey's masked visage momentarily takes precedence over his azure one in a Times Square showdown that fills every nearby screen with the hero and villain, Electro gets... jealous? Or something. It's all executed so horribly to boot, so none of it makes much sense one way or another. Max just wants some attention, but when he discovers what he's capable of (controlling electricity, blasting everything in sight with devastating bolts of lightning), he decides to just be a big jerk. Perhaps most demoralizing (for Foxx, Max, and electricity as a whole) is that Electro's presence is used only for some cool CGI effects and to help facilitate the birth of another villain, this movie's version of Green Goblin. Electro really has no purpose beyond that and it's galling how little effort is made to integrate him into the overall narrative.

The misguided use of Electro is made all the more puzzling when we witness the rise of Harry Osborn (Dane DeHaan, replacing the more ubiquitous James Franco of the previous kick at this franchise's can), who has returned to New York to bid a chilly farewell to his dying dad, the business mogul whose company Oscorp is responsible for everything bad in this Spidey universe. Harry's arc is pretty predictable for anyone who's seen the other movies, is familiar with the comics, or has paid much attention to the overwhelming marketing campaign for this movie. Things have been altered ever so slightly from the Harry that Raimi's trilogy gave us, but the endgame is ultimately the same.

Harry is just as mismanaged here as Electro is, but he's well woven into the overall story, so a huge part of the movie's problems could arguably have been solved by removing Electro entirely and making Harry's arc occupy a lone villain spot. This would prevent Harry's subplot from being so rushed and would provide more room for emotional entanglement considering that Harry is Peter's childhood friend and he ties into the movie's main theme of how children are shaped, good or bad, by the actions and decisions of their parents. The pieces actually add up in this scenario, but instead Electro hogs the spotlight for the first chunk of the movie and then Harry just picks up the slack in the final stretch.

So the potentially meaty theme that Webb is so eager to pursue hangs limp, since even though Foxx has mentioned that scenes involving his character's rotten relationship with his mother were shot, none of them make the final cut. Electro then adds nothing to the thematic web, which just seems like bad planning. Considering how much of The Amazing Spider-Man 2 is focused on the awful (and awfully obvious) backstory of Peter's parents that no one ever asked about in fifty years of web-slinging comic adventures, it's surprising that Webb can't keep his movie more focused when the right elements are present, but simply too scattered to completely connect.

All of the scenes surrounding the supposed truth behind the disappearance of Peter's parents are trite, boring drivel and it's clearly the one part of the script without any sort of safety net at all because it feels so lamely fabricated, so pointlessly included. A dreadful prologue is again taped on to the front of the movie, as was the case with Webb's previous Spider-effort, and here it really stands out because it's followed by a glorious re-introduction to Spidey that feels immediately like it should have been the actual opening of the picture. The 3D footage of our hero swinging through Manhattan is the most immersive effects-driven action yet seen in a Spider-Man movie and even rivals most other superhero movies in terms of a pure adrenaline rush. Webb, cinematographer Daniel Mindel, and the team of digital artists have truly outdone themselves in this department.

This is what makes The Amazing Spider-Man 2 more of a messy head-scratcher than a massive misfire. When the movie works, it works exceptionally well, but what works is buried underneath an overbearing desire to tell a backstory that isn't very interesting, even perhaps for the storytellers themselves judging by how distracted they become with the whole Electro tangent. Paul Giamatti even gets in on the villain game in a bit role that first enables a very fun action sequence and then later works to mechanically set up the studio's plans for an expanded rogues gallery that will terrorize Spidey in future instalments as one big Oscorp-bred team. That's all fine in some ways, because thinking optimistically, more villains only increases the chances that at least one will emerge a formidable foe. It also increases the chances of future Spidey flicks feeling like Spider-Man 3 x 2. Such an equation is worrisome.

With so much going on here, it's, um, amazing that Webb and all those writers even find time for Peter and Gwen's love story. But just like the previous movie, this sequel isn't afraid to take a break to just let the two lovebirds enjoy each other's company. A playful scene where they try to resist their attraction to each other buzzes with a kind of heartfelt authenticity that is so exceedingly rare in blockbuster movies. Even the saccharine section of the score by Hans Zimmer and a collection of artists called The Magnificent Six that accompanies this scene adds to the sweet moment. Other score excerpts range from goofy (the heavily electric rock song that joins Electro in his big action-packed reveal) to inspired (the eerie Twin Peaks-ish sounds of Harry's theme), making this one of the more musically eclectic superhero movies in quite some time.

Peter and Gwen's relationship is so well acted and so fantastically fortified by their wealth of chemistry that it provides enough emotion to make this easily the most moving superhero pic since The Dark Knight. But is that enough when the rest of the movie is so busy building up villains and slowly peeling back the layers of the insipid Parker parents storyline that is so dragged out it can't possibly be taken seriously? The answer is probably no for this sequel, even though Garfield and Stone give it everything they've got and more. There are too many bad decisions here and the missteps are more glaring and intrusive than they were in Webb's much stronger Spidey debut. That doesn't mean that the captivating onscreen romance, so absent from nearly every superhero movie to date, isn't deeply special, but it does seem to suggest that in Webb's hands, Spider-Man is more lover than fighter.

Quaalude fight: because drunk fight is too mainstream.
  • Martin1Martin1 Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I would've been 100% for dropping electro and making it all Goblin.

I think that would've been much better.
  • Darth LedgerDarth Ledger Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went and saw it again today and I agree that it would have actually worked better as a shorter movie with Harry as the main villain.

I actually believe they should have added William Fisk as Kingpin to bring the S6 together. Keep the same storyline just replace Electro with one of the S6 like Rhino or perhaps Vulture.
    "If you make yourself more than just a man... If you devote yourself to an ideal... You become something else entirely- A Legend."

• BrianBrian Posts: 171 mod
    I think they didn't want to make it just the Goblin in order to avoid it feeling like Sam Rami's trilogy, which had a lot of focus on their relationship.
    Brian said:

I think they didn't want to make it just the Goblin in order to avoid it feeling like Sam Rami's trilogy, which had a lot of focus on their relationship.

Yeah, which is why the first 2 villains have been two that didn't appear in the Rami's trilogy.

Still, if it would've made for a better movie, I think they should've done it. Would've given Harry a lot more depth before being goblin.
  • RichardRichard Posts: 48,700 mod
    I disagree electro was essential. The goblin ws cool and I wouldve liked to see more of him but perhaps theyre saving the best for the 3rd.
    Kingpin guys. He's gotta make an appearance.

Does anyone feel completely hollow right now after those last 15 minutes? I loved the Peter/Gwen relationship more than any other on screen relationship in YEARS. I'm so depressed that she's gone :(
    "If you make yourself more than just a man... If you devote yourself to an ideal... You become something else entirely- A Legend."

Richard said:

I disagree electro was essential. The goblin ws cool and I wouldve liked to see more of him but perhaps theyre saving the best for the 3rd.

How was he essential. I'm just curious how he advanced the plot or development of others.

Kingpin guys. He's gotta make an appearance.

Does anyone feel completely hollow right now after those last 15 minutes? I loved the Peter/Gwen relationship more than any other on screen relationship in YEARS. I'm so depressed that she's gone :(

I just love how Webb handled it. I can't wait to see how they handle Peter and Mary Jane.

Also, I know tons of people will see it as corny/cheesy as fuck, but I loved that fucking montage when he started hanging up the stuff about his dad. It was perfect.
  • PhineasPhineas Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Martin1 said:

Richard said:

How was he essential. I'm just curious how he advanced the plot or development of others.
    He advanced the plot for Harry's storyline. The board members pinned the accident on Harry, giving them an excuse to fire him, and in turn, Harry used Electro to get back into Oscorp, in exchange for having revenge on Spider-Man, which was another thing Harry wanted from him.

To get rid of Electro, you'd then need to remove the Oscorp plot, and much of Harry's, and then you'd have no film anyway.
    imageimage
  • yonythemoonyyonythemoony Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Evanna Lynch
    @Evy_Lynch
    When did I become that age that you only watch movies/tv that leave you crying into your cat every single night? Spiderman 2 was too much
    Phineas said:

Martin1 said:

Richard said:

He advanced the plot for Harry's storyline. The board members pinned the accident on Harry, giving them an excuse to fire him, and in turn, Harry used Electro to get back into Oscorp, in exchange for having revenge on Spider-Man, which was another thing Harry wanted from him.

To get rid of Electro, you'd then need to remove the Oscorp plot, and much of Harry's, and then you'd have no film anyway.
    Besides the fact that Electro was already hinted in the end credits scene of the first film, and he's a proof of how people see Spider-Man in NYC. We see him as a dumb, ordinary guy, who gets obsessed with Spider-Man and treats him like a god. When Electro has the accident, he starts become paranoid and getting voices inside of his head, that turns him into a serious threat. When he sees Spider-Man at Times Square, he's no longer a god to him, but a liar, and his enemy.

And being drunk with power, Electro sees everybody else as inferior and makes him the villain. Not a big villain, but still a proper villain. And another victim of OSCORP's dark plans.
    I don't think he was teased at all in the the post credits scene of the first film. The lightning was more atmospheric than symbolic, because the scene mostly just served to introduce the Man in the Shadows. Now that we know that he is Gustav Fiers/the Gentleman, who was asking Connor's about Peter's father, I think the scene more set up the Sinister Six from the beginning, and hints at his motivations for it. He knows all about Richard Parker's research, and he knows Peter is Spiderman. Like his character in the Sinister Six novels, he wants revenge for some reason. If Fiers had anything to do with Electro, it was coincidental, unless he somehow engineered his creation, knowing he would turn against Peter. But I highly doubt that, because if anyone was responsible for Electro, it was Smythe.
    imageimage
    I'm glad someone else thought of Twin Peaks

Phineas said:

Martin1 said:

Richard said:

So you're saying the whole point of Electro is Harry using him to get to Oscorp. That makes him worthless. There's tons of ways Harry could've gotten it. They've could've skipped that and just given Harry direct access to the venom and then he could get his revenge.
    That's not what I said at all.
    imageimage
    Basically it is though. What did Electro do in the story? He gave Harry ability to get the venom. He didn't hurt spiderman and failed to really advance the plot. The lizard made Peter investigate his father's work which is important, and of he course he ended up killing captain stacy.

Electro gave Harry ability to get the venom. I could be wrong because I may not be thinking of something, but exactly more did he do?
    I explained it already. He's used as a device, not just for Harry, but for the whole Oscorp story line. His accident is what kickstarts Harry's subplot, because the board of the directors try to cover it up, or they'll lose stock if the public finds out, and then they pin it on Harry, saying he 'experimented' on Max Dillon, and fired him. This was all before Harry took back Oscorp at the end of the second act, so ignore that. Electro may have been used as a plot device, but he was a well established character in his own right, and he is a threat regardless. You may have missed that he levelled Times Square and nearly wiped out New York's whole power indefinitely.

I could go on, but I loved the film, so I don't care enough to beat this dead horse.
    imageimage
    Actually it was the lizard accident that started it all. Yeah the part for the Harry cover up might have been necessary, but as a whole Electro didn't do much. I would've much preferred if it was more focused on Harry.
  • fawke83fawke83 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭
    Martin1 said:

Actually it was the lizard accident that started it all. Yeah the part for the Harry cover up might have been necessary, but as a whole Electro didn't do much. I would've much preferred if it was more focused on Harry.

That's exactly my point. Electro feels useless to the main story of the movie, it is actually kinda apalling how little effort is made to mix him in the plot, and that is just plain lazy writing.

All in all, he's been just stuck there to give some excuse for cool CGI effects, and give a little hand in the emerging of Green Goblin. But this kind of thing could easily be solved by some tweaking in the script, not much.

Not to mention how mediocre he was, as a villain and as a character.
    Quaalude fight: because drunk fight is too mainstream.
  • dobby_freak19dobby_freak19 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭✭
    Just came back from it
    Man that chemistry....was pure art. I loved it, and I almost cried in several of their scenes, specially knowing what was coming. This was my favorite aspect of the film.

I liked the action scenes, and I love the ending with that little boy and all , it was sweet. I am in love with Andrew Garfield also, think he is an amazing Peter Parker, a great actor and he has so much charisma.

Oh and I gotta say, that DOFP clip after the credits was pure gold. I was literally fangirling the entire scene now I just can´t wait to see the film!!! Awesome
    Hope you like it!
    edited May 2014
    fawke83 said:

Martin1 said:

That's exactly my point. Electro feels useless to the main story of the movie, it is actually kinda apalling how little effort is made to mix him in the plot, and that is just plain lazy writing.

All in all, he's been just stuck there to give some excuse for cool CGI effects, and give a little hand in the emerging of Green Goblin. But this kind of thing could easily be solved by some tweaking in the script, not much.

I completely disagree, but whatever. Look, the way I see it, is the two main themes of the film are hope, and consequence. Spiderman gave hope to both Max and Harry, and he neglected them both (sort of). He then faced the consequence with that, when Gwen helped in the final fight with Electro. She knew how to win, because she's sciencey. Cue Green Goblin. Had Gwen not been there, Harry wouldn't have made the connection and figured out that Peter was Spiderman, and she'd still be alive. The point of the story is the consequence of Peter's actions, and it's spawning villains around him. The villains roles in the overall story were enough to stop it from being more about them, like most bloody superhero films, where it's all about the villain, and all the hero has to do is find a way to overcome them.

Here, it was done beautifully, by making the story about Peter, and to me, all the characters were just balanced in a nice way for the story to work. Yeah, Electro may not have done much, but the film absolutely DID focus on Harry. He got far more screentime, because as I say, Electro is a device more for his character's story than Peter's. And even then, Max/Electro's whole idolisation, and then subsequent hate of Spiderman worked as a form of development. He had plenty of screentime, and he was well utilised, and I don't see any laziness in it at all. Hell, Christopher Nolan and David Goyer always planned The Dark Knight films and Man of Steel around the themes they wanted to present, not what villain they wanted to show next. That's what this film has done, and I think it was done perfectly. I have nothing more to say, to be honest.
    imageimage
    Best Spiderman film to date.

End of discussion lol.
    Phineas said:

fawke83 said:

Martin1 said:

I completely disagree, but whatever. Look, the way I see it, is the two main themes of the film are hope, and consequence. Spiderman gave hope to both Max and Harry, and he neglected them both (sort of). He then faced the consequence with that, when Gwen helped in the final fight with Electro. She knew how to win, because she's sciencey. Cue Green Goblin. Had Gwen not been there, Harry wouldn't have made the connection and figured out that Peter was Spiderman, and she'd still be alive. The point of the story is the consequence of Peter's actions, and it's spawning villains around him. The villains roles in the overall story were enough to stop it from being more about them, like most bloody superhero films, where it's all about the villain, and all the hero has to do is find a way to overcome them.

Here, it was done beautifully, by making the story about Peter, and to me, all the characters were just balanced in a nice way for the story to work. Yeah, Electro may not have done much, but the film absolutely DID focus on Harry. He got far more screentime, because as I say, Electro is a device more for his character's story than Peter's. And even then, Max/Electro's whole idolisation, and then subsequent hate of Spiderman worked as a form of development. He had plenty of screentime, and he was well utilised, and I don't see any laziness in it at all. Hell, Christopher Nolan and David Goyer always planned The Dark Knight films and Man of Steel around the themes they wanted to present, not what villain they wanted to show next. That's what this film has done, and I think it was done perfectly. I have nothing more to say, to be honest.
    Well said.
    Phineas said:

fawke83 said:

Martin1 said:

Lmfao, to say he neglected Max is a faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar reach.

And I'm not saying it's laziness and I'm not saying the character's didn't have good relationships. I'm saying Electro was a bit uninspired imo and would've loved to have seen more scenes with Harry and Peter together.
    Phineas said:

fawke83 said:

Martin1 said:

I agree. Garfield and Stone make the film... Webb is definitely no Nolan. Even Man of Steel had far more literary merit.

Garfield and Stone do make this movie. Mostly Garfield, he's great.
    Not to forget Sally Field, I completely related to her scenes. It was like she was my grandmother.

Thats what you said for TASM lol :)

Best superhero film I've seen.

What was your favorite parts?

Well said.

The entire climax was solid as fuck, great fights with Electro and Goblin, particularly Goblin which is one of the most intense and heart-pounding fight sequences ever in a superhero film
    The buddy cop dynamic between Harry and Electro was fun as hell and hilarious
    Dane, Garfield and Stone fucking annihilated their roles
    The graduation speech intercutting with the action at the beginning
    The fact that the story was specifically a character piece that put the focus and importance on developing Spider-man into Spider-MAN
    All the subplots worked and served their purposes respectfully
    The movie was never in a hurry, plenty of chill moments with the characters but still maintained good pacing nonetheless
    The dynamic between Peter and Gwen
    The dynamic between Peter and May
    The emotional core of Peter and Gwen and Peter and his parents
    Time as a metaphor which brilliantly led to the... you know
    The soundtrack was terrific, great new main theme, great love theme, great action cues

Yeah it was pretty bitchin and not afraid to take risks, felt unique and unlike other superhero films, and the ending still lingers due to characterization and emotion, also unlike many other superhero films. As a huge Spiderman fan I felt it absolutely nailed the title character and all the repercussions that come with being Spiderman, and never before has it actually went the lengths that the comics always did but that the films had been lacking, until now. The end of this movie was like, damn, this is no joke huh? He got far more development and maturity than Raimi's Peter. I still think Spider-man 2 and The Amazing Spider-man are fantastic films, but Amazing Spider-man 2 was finally the one that got everything right in terms of character, emotion, aesthetic, themes, entertaining and tragic payoffs, etc. It's the quintessential Spider-man film.

It isn't perfect, but what is? I also disagree heavily with most of the complaints I've seen, the biggest being that the story isn't focused and has too many subplots. Cannot disagree more. The main plot is about Peter and Gwen which by extension is also about Spider-man accepting responsibility and his maturity which is his deepest struggle that was finally brought to fruition here, and the subplots concerning Electro and Harry worked separately well enough but then converged toward the end seamlessly. Finally there was the subplot about Peter's parents, but that had been founded and built upon since the first film and was finally addressed here.

So much this.

I enjoyed it. It wasn't as good as the first, but it was still enjoyable.
    But I don't even see how Mary Jane would have even fit into the story! I'm glad they cut her, as much as I love Shailene Woodley.
    My biggest complaint is that Max/Electro's motive for being evil was really kind of dumb. I think his character would have been more poignant with a better backstory besides being the nerdy guy no one notices.
    Brian said:

I enjoyed it. It wasn't as good as the first, but it was still enjoyable.
    But I don't even see how Mary Jane would have even fit into the story! I'm glad they cut her, as much as I love Shailene Woodley.
    My biggest complaint is that Max/Electro's motive for being evil was really kind of dumb. I think his character would have been more poignant with a better backstory besides being the nerdy guy no one notices.

Yeah I agree Electro could've been better.

But other than that it was marvelous imo
    Well I think of Jamie Foxx as a throw-away actor and it was just another throw-away role, so no real surprise there.
  • Samch92Samch92 Posts: 6,398 mod
    Finally got the chance to watch the movie and I enjoyed a lot
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Lord StaffordLord Stafford Posts: 27,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • PhoenixGoblet86PhoenixGoblet86 Posts: 52 ✭✭
    EW can announce that Spider-Man 2 is available on Digital HD on Aug. 5 before arriving on Blu-ray and DVD on Aug. 19

Blu-ray & DVD Bonus Features Include:
    4 All-New Deleted Scenes with Commentary by Marc Webb
    Filmmaker Commentary
    Alicia Keys “It’s On Again” music video

Exclusively Available on Blu-ray:
    9 Additional Deleted Scenes with Commentary by Marc Webb, including “Peter Meets His Father”
    “The Wages of Heroism: Making The Amazing Spider-Man 2,” featuring revealing, in-depth segments including:
    “Lessons Learned: Development and Direction” — Filmmakers and cast discuss their approach to the sequel and their efforts to make it the best Spider-Man yet.
    “Heart of the City: Shooting in New York” — A behind-the-scenes look at the film’s unprecedented access to 
New York City during production.
    “Triple Threat: Attack of the Villains” — An inside look at the development of Spider-Man’s fearsome foes, Electro, 
the Green Goblin and Rhino.
    “A More Dangerous World: Transforming Electro and the Green Goblin” — From make-up to costuming, see what it took to transform Jamie Foxx and Dane DeHaan into their fearsome alter-egos.
    “A Bolt From the Blue: Visual Effects” — Sony Pictures Imageworks artists and animators show how they created the gravity defying, web-slinging and pumped-up action in the new film.
    “Spidey Gets His Groove Back: Music and Editing” — Learn how the film’s soundtrack and score came together in this behind-the-scenes look at jam sessions with Composer Hans Zimmer and the team of master musicians he assembled, including Pharrell Williams, Johnny Marr, Michael Einziger and more.

Exclusive to the DVD:
    New Public Service Announcement for the Worldwide Orphans Foundation (WWO), featuring Andrew Garfield & WWO CEO Dr. Jane Aronson

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/06/16/amazing-spider-man-2-blu-ray/
  • PatricierPatricier Posts: 253 ✭✭
    Does anyone else agree that Shailene Woodley's MJ scenes shoulda been in the movie? They would have added more depth to the relationship complex by showing the problems that Peter has to deal with like if he should still remain with Gwen even if it is easier to stay with MJ, which is also a great set up for ASM3 as MJ will b featured more. I think Shailene would have made a great MJ and from what ive seen of Set footage, i am relieved of this belief. She always captivates you into a character, which she executes so realisticly with true to real life characteristics that u cannot help but feel for her

Btw please sign and share the directors cut petition if u have not already as we may get to c the MJ scenes along with many others: http://www.change.org/en-AU/petitions/sony-pictures-and-director-marc-webb-consider-releasing-a-directors-cut-version-of-the-amazing-spider-man-2-to-the-general-public-on-blue-ray-and-dvd

Plus consider having spidey in the avengers mvoies too: http://www.change.org/en-AU/petitions/kevin-feige-make-spider-man-part-of-the-marvel-cinematic-universe
    For those who want Shailene Woodley to remain as MJ, I have another project that I am working on. I could use the support. All you have to do is sign and share the following petition on social networks, and tell others to do the same. You can choose to sign anonymously or make up ur name/other information if need be.

I believe that Shailene has both the looks and chops to pull of being this version of Spider-Man's Mary Jane. Her past roles have shown how natural she is at the teen role, making it seem fresh and realistic as if a real person, and not some superficial cliche. You can read more at my petition description in the link here:https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/sony-keep-shailene-woodley-as-mary-jane-in-the-amazing-spider-man-movies
  • JordyJordy Posts: 613 ✭✭✭✭
    Le sigh
  • PhoenixGoblet86PhoenixGoblet86 Posts: 52 ✭✭
    Question, do you guys generally like Garfield better or prefer Maguire? This could be an interesting poll. For me, I prefer Garfield for the following reasons:

MUCH more natural acting, he actually feels like he IS Spider-Man/Peter, and totally embodies the character. Maguire was just going through the motions and not to mention he was just plain BORING! He actually was good in the video game versions of the spider-Man movies, but in the actual movies themselves… I dunno, he was just pathetic to watch and actually made me feel (to quote Chris Columbus when he stated he saw Pokemon: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Interview-Chris-Columbus-And-The-Cast-Of-Percy-Jackson-16977.html) suicidal and depressed. Garfield actually made me feel inspired and hopeful that, to quote him "maybe eventually every things going to be alright"

He also actually acts like a real teenager who still has his problems and interest in science that Peter Parker does instead of being too much of a loser like Tobey MaGuire is
    edited October 2014
    I always liked MacGuire, but he played Peter as a crybaby. Andrew's Peter was human and emotional, but not a wimp. Also, he's a fan from the comics since he was a boy. And has sucessfully cheated people to think he's american (he's british). The movies, Raimi's trilogy was very comic book like but they feel cheesy by today's standarts and Sony putting their hands on the third movie made Raimi to ruin his franchise.

The reboot gave us a much more modern and realistic Spider-man, and with traits of the character that wasn't on the original trilogy. But Sony put their hands again on the second movie and ruined part of the charm of the first one (but still it was more realistic than Raimi's trilogy).

The best they could do is keep Garfield and have him as part of The Avengers (After all, Avengers was gonna include the Oscorp Tower). Add some other heroes since Marvel is willing to include new ones (bring back Sarah Gadon, and have her playing Black Cat).
    Post edited by yonythemoony on

I always liked MacGuire, but he played Peter as a crybaby. Andrew's Peter was human and emotional, but not a wimp. Also, he's a fan from the comics since he was a boy. And has sucessfully cheated people to think he's american (he's british). The movies, Raimi's trilogy was very comic book like but they feel cheesy by today's standarts and Sony putting their hands on the third movie made Raimi to ruin his franchise.

The reboot gave us a much more modern and realistic Spider-man, and with traits of the character that wasn't on the original trilogy. But Sony put their hands again on the second movie and ruined part of the charm of the first one (but still it was more realistic than Raimi's trilogy).

The best they could do is keeping Maguire and have him as part of The Avengers (After all, Avengers was gonna include the Oscorp Tower). Add some other heroes since Marvel is willing to include new ones (bring back Sarah Gadon, and have her playing Black Cat).

I'm guessing you meant to say Garfield right ? The avengers was gonna include the REBOOT's oscorp tower