Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

Slughorn in DH Part 2

jonny7003jonny7003 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭
edited December 2011 in General
Did anyone catch the moment where Slughorn took a quick swig of (presumably) Liquid Luck during the statues scene ? I'm watching DH 2 now and I noticed it for the first time. I think it's a nice homage to HBP.

Comments

• BraveheartBraveheart Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭
    I noticed it first time, but I don't think it was liquid luck. :P
  • mattStrelowmattStrelow Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I noticed it last week, I giggled when I saw it :P

• Martin1Martin1 Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking a shot o' jack, but liquid luck works :p
  • HessHess Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I noticed yesterday LOL, and I laughed.
  • Lord StaffordLord Stafford Posts: 27,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I noticed it first time, but it isn't liquid luck. :|

Lord Stafford.
  • aaronaaron Posts: 20,950 mod
    And you would know that...how?
    imageimageimage
    Watch HBP. What happened to Ron? What happened to Harry?

Lord Stafford.
    Well, Ron never really took the liquid luck, and sure Harry seemed drunk. There's nothing that says Slughorn wasn't like that. You just see him take the swig and then shoot the spell, and then he disappears. By the time you see him next, the hour of his luck has wore off.

The point is, you don't know what he's drinking, so stop acting like you do.
    imageimageimage
    Well, it's probable that he wasn't drinking liquid luck.

Lord Stafford.
    Well, it's probable that he wasn't drinking liquid luck.

Lord Stafford.
    Better.

It is also probable that he was drinking liquid luck.

:O
    imageimageimage
    Do you even know what probable means?

Lord Stafford.
  • jonny7003jonny7003 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭
    Well, it kind of makes sense for it to be Liquid Luck IMO since it is Slughorn after all, and he's preparing for battle. Plus, it seems to be in his character to take a quick swig when nobody's looking. I think it's a nice little background reference. Anyway, perhaps LL affects people in different ways. Slughorn did seem a bit tipsy when putting the protections up, but then again Slughorn always seems tipsy.
  • Toini01Toini01 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭
    I noticed it the first time but never thought it was liquid luck.

I don't know if this was meant or not, but when he walks down the stairs, he's like in panic, walking quite quickly, stressed... And then he seems more confident while casting the spells.

It might be totaly random, but I saw it like this.
    "Where it all started... "
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "It all ends here... "
    Probably a shot of Jack Daniels. :D
    Knowing Slughorn, yes.

Lord Stafford.
    Probably a shot of Jack Daniels. :D
    Knowing Slughorn, yes.

Lord Stafford.
    Yes. One of those stiff potions for the end of the day that Belby mentioned. The only ones worth having. ;)
  • RichardRichard Posts: 48,700 mod
    edited December 2011
    Yes i always thought it was liquid luck he was drinking and i still do :)
  • YodatheHobbitYodatheHobbit Posts: 943 ✭✭
    edited December 2011
    It probably isn't supposed to be liquid luck. I just assumed alcohol as well, but it would have been funny and a nice nod to HBP had they wrote it that way.
  • NickNick Posts: 20,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    liquid luck definitely :))
  • grable424grable424 Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was liquid luck but idk... It seemed like it was in a small vial
  • RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 7,872 mod
    edited December 2011
    I thought It was liquid luck as well but it could have been anything lol even a stamina potion because ol sluggy isn't the youngest and most strapping after all :P
  • AshAsh Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dutch courage I imagine haha.
  • RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 7,872 mod
    Dutch courage I imagine haha.
    Bahahahahaha!
  • chesterchester Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love when Slughorn turns very quickly and surprised when MCGonagall is bringing the statues to life.
    imageimageimage
    Slughorn needed a scene in Part 2. Broadbent was too good an actor not to give a bit more material to.
    He, like many, only received a cameo.

Lord Stafford.
  • FireflyFirefly Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    While it would have been nice for him to have more screentime, his story ultimately began and was resolved in HBP.
    image image
    While it would have been nice for him to have more screentime, his story ultimately began and was resolved in HBP.
    I found it great just to see him. The few sentences and shots he got were enough knowing that even in the book ha had almost nothing to do.

Was great imo that we could see him again.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "It all ends here... "
    I found it great just to see him. The few sentences and shots he got were enough knowing that even in the book ha had almost nothing to do.

Was great imo that we could see him again.
    Exactly. :)
    image image
    This. I have to say, his small "Harry" at the very end made me smile emotionally.
    imageimageimage
    This. I have to say, his small "Harry" at the very end made me smile emotionally.
    Me to. It was great to have all the characters at least say a word. Even if some deserved more, but well, we can't have everything...
    "It all ends here... "
    edited December 2011
    Me to. It was great to have all the characters at least say a word. Even if some deserved more, but well, we can't have everything...
    Arthur Weasley never said a word. Nor did Tonks. Meh.

Slughorn was the one who questioned defying Voldemort in the book, I think. He ought to have done that instead of Flitwick, since he already had a bit of stuff to do anyway.

And Slughorn's "Harry" was not at the very end, but during the break.
    That isn't at the very end. That's when they go in and see one of the twins lying there, dead.

Lord Stafford.
    That isn't at the very end. That's when they go in and see one of the twins lying there, dead.

Lord Stafford.
    Ah, my mistake, but it did still make me smile emotionally, as did the shot of him at the very end in the Great Hall. And Aberforth talking with Dean, etc. It really felt right.
    imageimageimage
    It did. The only thing that didn't, was Slughorn's appearance gag. And for once, Filch wasn't accusing Harry of killing anybody. :P

Lord Stafford.
    edited December 2011

Lord Stafford.
    Ah, my mistake, but it did still make me smile emotionally, as did the shot of him at the very end in the Great Hall. And Aberforth talking with Dean, etc. It really felt right.
    I liked that the scene with all the conversations at the end felt real. I hate when you get the most clearly rehearsed conversations in films, ruins the whole feel. All improv here, I'd imagine.
    Yeah, Alfie's laugh felt totally genuine, as did all the other performances. I feel the only thing that could've made it better is if some of those actors at least acknowledged Harry, maybe nodded or smiled to him (like Cho did--a great addition), something to show that they were thankful for him defeating Voldemort. A very peaceful, quiet scene though, well done. Loved the nostalgic bit as Filch began to grudgingly clean up and Hagrid walked down to his hut, like all was back to normal.
    imageimageimage
    There is no hut.

Lord Stafford.
    Yeah, Alfie's laugh felt totally genuine, as did all the other performances. I feel the only thing that could've made it better is if some of those actors at least acknowledged Harry, maybe nodded or smiled to him (like Cho did--a great addition), something to show that they were thankful for him defeating Voldemort. A very peaceful, quiet scene though, well done. Loved the nostalgic bit as Filch began to grudgingly clean up and Hagrid walked down to his hut, like all was back to normal.
    Well in fairness, that problem would have been solved by simply not cutting the reaction to Voldemort's death scene. I would have liked the Weasleys and especially Ginny to have more reaction to Harry though. She could have come up and walked with him through that scene and then he could have given her a kiss and walked off with Ron and Hermione to the bridge. There definitely ought to have been more from Ginny. After screaming for Harry she pretty much got shunned from the rest of the movie. Same with McGonagall. The last we see of her in the series is her standing on the steps looking heartbroken at Harry's death. Since she's been such a constant throughout the series, I think a shot of her smiling at Harry after his victory should have been included at the very least, to give a more satisfying last impression of her character.
    Well in fairness, that problem would have been solved by simply not cutting the reaction to Voldemort's death scene. I would have liked the Weasleys and especially Ginny to have more reaction to Harry though. She could have come up and walked with him through that scene and then he could have given her a kiss and walked off with Ron and Hermione to the bridge. There definitely ought to have been more from Ginny. After screaming for Harry she pretty much got shunned from the rest of the movie. Same with McGonagall. The last we see of her in the series is her standing on the steps looking heartbroken at Harry's death. Since she's been such a constant throughout the series, I think a shot of her smiling at Harry after his victory should have been included at the very least, to give a more satisfying last impression of her character.
    Exactly. Snape was last seen happy at apparently looking into Lily Evans' eyes.

Lord Stafford.
    There is no hut.

Lord Stafford.
    Lolololol I guess that's true, maybe he's walking back to rebuild his hut?
    imageimageimage
    There is no hut.

Lord Stafford.
    There's nowhere to rebuild it. They cast aside that whole area, all for a little Snatcher run.

Lord Stafford.
    Yeah, there definitely should've been more Ginny, but I can attribute that to the fact that Ginny was never as big a character as she was in the books. Their relationship just wasn't established all that well tbh, and I'm kind of torn on this one because HBP had to provide a delicate balance between Harry and Ginny's romance and the Voldemort memories, both of which were very important. I feel HBP sort of sacrificed Harry/Ginny for more of Ron/Lavender, which never gave Harry/Ginny a good set-up to begin with. They don't have chemistry, so I'm kind of glad they cut down their scenes. And also, Bonnie Wright isn't a good actress apart from a few scenes, so the less Ginny, the better. Ultimately, since they decided to cut down Ginny's role in HBP, I'm fine with the continuation over to DH. However, I feel like they should've cut Ron/Lavender in HBP in favor of Harry/Ginny establishment, so that Ginny's role could've been more prominent in both the DH films.
    imageimageimage
    There is no hut.

Lord Stafford.
    There's nowhere to rebuild it. They cast aside that whole area, all for a little Snatcher run.

Lord Stafford.
    Nah, there's hundreds of untouched acres around Hogwarts, and with the DE threat gone they could've easily torn down that wall, though I doubt they would've. Besides, in the epilogue it says Hagrid has invited the kids down for tea on the first Friday, which means his hut is rebuilt anyway.
    imageimageimage
    Yeah, there definitely should've been more Ginny, but I can attribute that to the fact that Ginny was never as big a character as she was in the books. Their relationship just wasn't established all that well tbh, and I'm kind of torn on this one because HBP had to provide a delicate balance between Harry and Ginny's romance and the Voldemort memories, both of which were very important. I feel HBP sort of sacrificed Harry/Ginny for more of Ron/Lavender, which never gave Harry/Ginny a good set-up to begin with. They don't have chemistry, so I'm kind of glad they cut down their scenes. And also, Bonnie Wright isn't a good actress apart from a few scenes, so the less Ginny, the better. Ultimately, since they decided to cut down Ginny's role in HBP, I'm fine with the continuation over to DH. However, I feel like they should've cut Ron/Lavender in HBP in favor of Harry/Ginny establishment, so that Ginny's role could've been more prominent in both the DH films.
    Well, they built her up... only to let her down. Like so many others.

Lord Stafford.
    There is no hut.

Lord Stafford.

Lord Stafford.
    Nah, there's hundreds of untouched acres around Hogwarts, and with the DE threat gone they could've easily torn down that wall, though I doubt they would've. Besides, in the epilogue it says Hagrid has invited the kids down for tea on the first Friday, which means his hut is rebuilt anyway.
    That's in the book. It was never knocked down.

Lord Stafford.
    Is that to say that you were surprised how much we got, or how little?

Lord Stafford.
    I think he means how much.
    image image
    edited December 2011
    Well, they built her up... only to let her down. Like so many others.

Lord Stafford.
    Well, Goldenberg built her up because he knew what was coming, but the mistake can be attributed to Kloves. Still, I imagine adapting HBP must've been such a chaotic mess for him. It seems like he couldn't decide the tone he wanted to go with. He had some pretty shitty humor, some which escaped into the final cut, but I was also very impressed with how he wrote the Harry/Slughorn scenes and the Harry/Dumbledore ones. I enjoyed it overall.
    imageimageimage
    There is no hut.

Lord Stafford.

Lord Stafford.
    That's in the book. It was never knocked down.

Lord Stafford.
    I can't remember if it was lit on fire in the book or not, but certainly not knocked down. Easily extinguished with magic, just like the Burrow.
    imageimageimage
    Is that to say that you were surprised how much we got, or how little?

Lord Stafford.
    No, we saw enough of slughorn compared to the other teachers.
    And i know what you want to say, but no, we saw enough of the teachers in general.
    I don't 'want' to say anything. I was just asking you.

Lord Stafford.