Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

Voldemorts Past

Darth LedgerDarth Ledger Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2011 in General
I think if I had to choose my favorite part of the series to read it would be the memories in half blood prince. I think this is so interesting. I would also say the trips into voldemorts mind in DH are favorites too.
"If you make yourself more than just a man... If you devote yourself to an ideal... You become something else entirely- A Legend."

Comments

• Lord StaffordLord Stafford Posts: 27,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same here. It was just so dark. It showed how and why he turned into the monster that is Voldemort.

Lord Stafford.
  • Toini01Toini01 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭
    What was great is that, the first time we read it, we didn't know the slightest thing about his past and we discovered it step by step with Dumbledore's comments and explanations.
    "Where it all started... "
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "It all ends here... "
  • HessHess Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, that's the main reason why I love HBP book so much.
    It's a great shame that we didn't really learn anything about him in the movie. We got the basis, but that's it.

Lord Stafford.
    I know it's kind of selfish but, I don't care to see the very small details about Dumbledore's past because I read them. I just need to have the main storyline put on screen and the rest can stay in the book because I read it and I know it.

I think that this is the reason why I don't hate a lot about how faithful a movie is.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "It all ends here... "
  • Darth LedgerDarth Ledger Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't express enough on here how much I love HBP and DH the books
    "If you make yourself more than just a man... If you devote yourself to an ideal... You become something else entirely- A Legend."

It's good to hear that being said. That's rarely expressed.

Lord Stafford.
    I feel like we talk about the movies so much that book discussion falls by the wayside... I'm re reading the series as soon as this semester ends

• mattStrelowmattStrelow Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The orphanage memory is by far one of the best scenes J.K. ever wrote.

I feel like we talk about the movies so much that book discussion falls by the wayside... I'm re reading the series as soon as this semester ends
    Good on you.

Lord Stafford.
  • This is why I love HBP the most, Tom Riddle's story is such a sad and tragic one that you can't help but feel sorry for him and understand why he came such a monster
    Like i said, it's a shame that was never translated onto the screen. Properly, anyway.

Lord Stafford.
  • mattStrelowmattStrelow Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like i said, it's a shame that was never translated onto the screen. Properly, anyway.

Lord Stafford.
    Agreed.

Yes, I love Half Blood Prince and I think it's the best movie of the series after Deathly Hallows (both parts as a whole), but the fact that so many memories were cut is really sad. The Gaunt memory is essential for better understanding the Horcruxes, and that's why so many non-readers were so confused about them. And the other memories would also be very interesting to watch.

The one that i've noticed to be most recently acknowledged, is the job application/interview. Now, that would have been just... I don't know. Just.

Lord Stafford.
    The one that i've noticed to be most recently acknowledged, is the job application/interview. Now, that would have been just... I don't know. Just.

Lord Stafford.
    I'm 100% with you on this one

Lord Stafford.
    We were talking about how great those memories were, not about how bad the movie was not to add this or this memory...
    "It all ends here... "

Lord Stafford.
    We were talking about how great those memories were, not about how bad the movie was not to add this or this memory...
    Was i talking about how bad the movie was not to add this or the memory? No, i was not.

Lord Stafford.
  • FireflyFirefly Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭
    The job interview was absolutely necessary I think.

We saw child Tom, then teenage Tom, and we already knew the old Voldemort.

There was no adult Tom in between to bridge the gap of the just-beginning transformation.
    image image

Lord Stafford.
    Was i talking about how bad the movie was not to add this or the memory? No, i was not.

Lord Stafford.
    Well you just said that those scenes had to be put on screen and the others weren't (to use your own words) properly adapted on screen.

Knowing that those memories are half of the movie, it's like if I said I didn't like the part where Harry is at Hogwarts in DH2...

"It all ends here... "
    Arggh movie talk... The books rule this discussion, not movies lol

I've read HBP more than any of them, I know I read it 4 times in 06 and about 8 times since, not counting the twice in 05

Lord Stafford.

Lord Stafford.
    Well you just said that those scenes had to be put on screen and the others weren't (to use your own words) properly adapted on screen.

Knowing that those memories are half of the movie, it's like if I said I didn't like the part where Harry is at Hogwarts in DH2...

I never said that they 'had' to be anything. Read. I said that 'it's a great shame' There was nothing about how this and that 'had' to be there. I'm certainly not reading that.

Lord Stafford.

Lord Stafford.

Lord Stafford.

I never said that they 'had' to be anything. Read. I said that 'it's a great shame' There was nothing about how this and that 'had' to be there. I'm certainly not reading that.

Lord Stafford.
    Stop trying to correct each of the words I use to look like you didn't comlain (again) about the movie in a book's thread

What I don't understand ks why you HAVE TO say something bad about the movie in this thread...

In the complains thread I would understand it but there...

"It all ends here... "
  • yonythemoonyyonythemoony Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The job interview was absolutely necessary I think.

We saw child Tom, then teenage Tom, and we already knew the old Voldemort.

There was no adult Tom in between to bridge the gap of the just-beginning transformation.
    And they could have brought back Christian Coulson to play adult Voldy.

I think that they should have learn from J.K., and put all Voldemort's memories in a montage ala Prince's Tale.
    Idk I liked how they were spread out. I was always excited when Harry would get a letter from Dumbledore about a meeting.

• Martin1Martin1 Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Idk I liked how they were spread out. I was always excited when Harry would get a letter from Dumbledore about a meeting.
    I think he means in the movie.
  • XDMorsmordreXDXDMorsmordreXD Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's good to hear that being said. That's rarely expressed.

Lord Stafford.
    Agreed with both!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Mysterious thing time.
  • RichardRichard Posts: 48,700 mod
    I know it's kind of selfish but, I don't care to see the very small details about Dumbledore's past because I read them. I just need to have the main storyline put on screen and the rest can stay in the book because I read it and I know it.

I think that this is the reason why I don't hate a lot about how faithful a movie is.
    \:D/
  • LizLiz Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭✭
    I can honestly say that HBP is my fave book to read out of the series. I love all the details we get about Tom Riddle and Dumbledore's death/funeral was so moving!
  • BaneBane Posts: 9,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HBP is unique because it takes the time to divulge SO much information. I like DH more because of the emotion and climactic nature, but HBP is probably the better READING experience.
  • RichardRichard Posts: 48,700 mod
    I can honestly say that HBP is my fave book to read out of the series. I love all the details we get about Tom Riddle and Dumbledore's death/funeral was so moving!
    WE GO LIZ! :)
  • MadBellaMadBella Posts: 473
    yeaah i like reading hbp because it has so much details. i feel as the series progressed it gave a better insight to the characters until dh where it focused on the end...my favorite part in the series to read is the ministry of magic chapters.
    "Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure."

Lord Stafford.

Lord Stafford.

Lord Stafford.
    Stop trying to correct each of the words I use to look like you didn't comlain (again) about the movie in a book's thread

What I don't understand ks why you HAVE TO say something bad about the movie in this thread...

In the complains thread I would understand it but there...

I didn't complain about anything, you nutcase. I merely mentioned it.

Lord Stafford.
  • RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 7,872 mod
    Stafford fuck you can't ever just drop something. Keep calm and carry on. Dayum.
    I am calm. If you want to roast me for no reason, then go ahead. But i'm just responding to something that was directed at me.

Lord Stafford.
  • AshAsh Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Om nom nom, spit roast.
    I am calm. If you want to roast me for no reason, then go ahead. But i'm just responding to something that was directed at me.

Lord Stafford.
    Settle it in a pm or elsewhere. I was reading up on this topic and it was back on topic after the previous altercation but alas you had to squeeze in the last word. Please just settle this in a pm or activity or somewhere else. I wanna see what people have to say about voldemort, not read more of this skulduggery lol

Lord Stafford.
    Settle it in a pm or elsewhere. I was reading up on this topic and it was back on topic after the previous altercation but alas you had to squeeze in the last word. Please just settle this in a pm or activity or somewhere else. I wanna see what people have to say about voldemort, not read more of this skulduggery lol
    Wrong. I didn't feel any need to 'squezze in the last word' Toini was talking to me, and felt obliged to respond. I didn't do it in any way that is wrong. And it wasn't an altercation... it was a conversation, or a debate at best.

Lord Stafford.
    Please. Take it elsewhere. Stay on topic. Thanks.
    edited December 2011
    Right. Well, how about apologising for jumping to conclusions, then?

Lord Stafford.
    Post edited by Lord Stafford on
  • LizLiz Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭✭
    Amen! Another HBP lover!
    WE GO LIZ! :)
    :D
  • PhineasPhineas Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
    HBP was a great book and what made it soo awesome was the fact that we lived an every day live at Hogwarts, knowing that something was going to happen with Draco and the Deatheaters, not knowing how it would happen and, to keep the book interesting, we got Tom's memories. I think that GOF is the best book (because a lot is going on at the same time, it's original...) but my favourite scenes are Voldemort's souvenir for 2 big reasons :
    -They're very surprising and important in the story.
    -Because they never got translated onto the big screen, we can let our imagination tell us what the scene looks like. I'm not saying the books would have been better without the movie, I'm just saying that a few scenes are better with our own imagination than with Stuart Craig/David Yates' one because we sometimes want to create our own Harry Potter world (I'm not saying that I Yates and Craig's imagination is wrong because I think their vision of the book couldn't get any closer then what I thought when I read the books.)

@LordStafford
    The only thing I find kind of depressing is that, in a thread where people are talking about how great Voldemort's past is, you have to say that it was badely adapted onto the screen and that it's a shame memories of his past are missing.

If you wanted to say this, go back to the complains thread.
    "It all ends here... "
    That isn't a complaint, that's an acknowledgement.

Lord Stafford.
    That isn't a complaint, that's an acknowledgement.

Lord Stafford.
    If you think so, it's ok, but I felt it like a complain in the wrong post. But anyway, let's stop this debate and get back to topic.

"It all ends here... "
    Fair enough, but i know that i wasn't complaining. That's what i'm talking about when i say that you guys far too often jump to conclusions with me.

Lord Stafford.
    Fair enough, but i know that i wasn't complaining. That's what i'm talking about when i say that you guys far too often jump to conclusions with me.

Lord Stafford.
    Well maybe you weren't but it seems like. Someone can seem very nice and be an idiot that's the problem. If it wasn't ment to be a complain, then show it by adding that the film was still good or something like that. People would understand and see you from a different point of view.

"It all ends here... "
    I understand that completely, but some of the people here are so blinded by their hatred of me, that they won't listen to reason. They refuse. Nothing like that can force me from this forum, but i'm fed up with it. More than they are fed up with me.

Lord Stafford.
  • PhineasPhineas Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    I understand that completely, but some of the people here are so blinded by their hatred of me, that they won't listen to reason. They refuse. Nothing like that can force me from this forum, but i'm fed up with it. More than they are fed up with me.

Lord Stafford.
    I try. I really do. And a lot of the time, I succeed.

;;)

I'm sorry for my shizzle. Forgivenzies?
    imageimage
    Something I like to compare/contrast is Dobby's burial vs Dumbledore's. In DH Harry even says as extravagant as Dumbledore's funeral was, he felt Dobby deserved the same. There's power in these scenes and words to me... This is why Dobby's burial tears me up