Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

HP SAGA - Looking back, what were you excited to see on FILM - did it live upto your expectations

Onset23Onset23 Posts: 448 ✭✭
edited December 2011 in General
I picked up my my BLURAY copy of Deathly Hallows part 2 today

And it struck me! This is it! No more!

And i thought about my HP experience over the years i properly joined the world after watching Goblet of fire in 2005 and promptly read all the books

Just wondering what others were EXCITED TO SEE in the films and wether or not it lived upto their expectations

OOTP

UMBRIDGE
Possibly my favourite character in the entire saga! I had a very definate image of her in my mind and had always imagined Anette Badland in the role
I remember seeing that very first image of Umbridge (the one with Trelawney and Mcgonegal in the courtyard) and leaping with excitment
She looked perfect!

Verdict- Everything id hoped she would be and more, id pictured a very over weight grotesque character but we got a dainty, catty, bitchy Umbridge and i adored the change! Imelda was sublime

THE MINISTRY OF MAGIC
Reading the book id always imagined a large open square golden atrium. I was so excited to see how the film makers imagined the wizading government

Verdict - verrrry different from my imagination. I remember seeing the shot from the trailer and grimacing because it was nothing like i imagined!
It turns out i loved the design far more than my imagination, the idea it was the underground, clad in victorian tiles! I just loved it

VOLDEMORT VS DUMBLEDORE
I saw a massive epic battle, soaring music, epic visuals, titanic wand duelling

Verdict - Confusing camera angles so it took me several times to understand the geography of what was happening, some impreve moments (Voldemort breaking the atrium windows) i enjoyd it but it was badly directed!

HBP

SLUGHORN
Bob Hoskins was the Slughorn in my brain, short, fat, big moustache! I was excited to see how he looked!

Verdict - was bitterly dissappointed that he looked nothing like the book, BUT Jim was perfect, the right attitude, the right vulnerability. Slughorns confession is one of the highlights of the saga for me

NARCISSA
Tilda Swinton was how i pictures Narcissa Malfoy! Aagain i was always excited to see how the characters looked

Verdict - Helen Mccrory is prob in my top 3 actresses in the entire country, she is astounding! When she was dropped from OOTP i was devastated! So when i heard she was cast as Narcissa i was so happy! Seeing her costume perturbed me because they REALLY aged her up, hated the two tone hair and hated the bright red lipstick! LOVED the look in DH1-DH2, AND whilst only really a cameo part i think she was perfect!

DUMBLEDORES DEATH
I wanted a windswept astronomy tower, a frightend looking dumbledore, an impressive shot of him falling all the way down the tower

Verdict - the buildup was magnificent! The moment was not. Hated how it was shot from Harry POV! HATED that overly long and slowed down plunge, cutting away FAR to early! I wanted to see him fall into the darkness! Grown to actually quite like the falling shot! It was used beautifully in DH1

DH1

UMBRIDGES RETURN/MINISTRY HEIST
I had heard rumours that she and harry were to have a wand battle and was syched that theyd built her part up!

Verdict - exactly like the book, the expanded ministry was beautiful, especially umbridges office! I didnt like Umbrige as much in this one because it seemed very monotone! On level, there was no bitchy, catty umbridge. No ahem and no laughs! YAXLEY was the best thin in this scene. Peter Mullan took a part i didnt much care for in the book and made him truely scary. Should have got him comeuppance in DH2

XENOPHILIUS LOVEGOOD
Billy conolley was my first choice. The Cotton Candy hair sold it for me

Verdict - unimpressed i have to say. Rhys Ifans seemed far to young to play him IMO. although it made sense i hated the irish accent and he looked nothing like i imagined! He did an ok job tho!

DH2

THE BATTLE SEQUENCES
Epic, loud, lingering!

Verdict - what little we saw was very well done! far to little, Yates seems to use jump cuts far to much

MOLLY VS BELLATRIX
The line of the series! Couldnt wait to see it delivered

Verdict - hated that there was no build up thanks to the editing! the action was so confused it was all over the place. It just sort of happened! The line was delivered to perfection. I wanted to see Bellatrixes body, I wanted Voldemort to see Bellatrixes body, and it didnt happen!

VOLDEMORTS DEATH
a blood red sky, a crowd watching scared about what would happen! a huge climactic moment of the rebound and Voldemorts body, broken on the floor of the great hall

Verdict - very very different from the book, not all of it good. Thesetting was beautiful, a smokey, washed out misty sky. wish to god that a crowd had gathered to watch this final moment but i can see why they didnt do it. The moment of realisation when Nagini is destroyed is AMAZING. the tears in voldys eyes. He knows this is it for him! The rebound was sooooo not what i was expecting. AND I LOVED IT. The curse Slowly sinking back through the wand and injecting into his blood stream was phenomenally done! The elder wand flying through the air. and i ADORED that voldemort simply and slowly melted away, his ashed rising against the newly risen sun! One of my FAV shots in the saga
HATED that there wasnt really an aftermath with everyone!

EPILOGUE
sunset, emotional, leaving hogwarts

Verdict - soooooo emotional. This was done to perfection, the kids were great, the aging makeup was brilliant! LEAVING HOGWARTS!
It brouh the saga full cire and wrapped it up beautifully in a nice neat bow! Would have loved to have had a wideshot of the train leaving the station as the trio watched but i adored how the final shot of the saga was the trio!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Comments

• Onset23Onset23 Posts: 448 ✭✭
    noone?
  • TheDoctorTheDoctor Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was excited to see a faithful rendering of JKR's masterpiece, and I was bitterly disappointed.
  • TheDoctorTheDoctor Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lololol jk, i'll answer for real later
  • yonythemoonyyonythemoony Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

XENOPHILIUS LOVEGOOD
    Billy conolley was my first choice. The Cotton Candy hair sold it for me

Verdict - unimpressed i have to say. Rhys Ifans seemed far to young to play him IMO. although it made sense i hated the irish accent and he looked nothing like i imagined! He did an ok job tho!
    According to Evanna, he made her Louth accent pretty well. Both had chemistry, and from the beginning, Rhys was into the role, hugging Evanna when he first met her and saying "I've missed you" xD
  • PhineasPhineas Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    I like what you've done with this thread :D

Dementors: I was only young when I read the books, so naturally, in my head, I just imagined Nazgul with no armoured gauntlets. Lol. But I love the torn fabric they're just draped in. It's not very easy to see in the film, but their physical body is actually a skeletal torso, pelvis and spine, which is long enough to replace the legs. Which I think is very unique and amazing. Love the Dementors.

Rita Skeeter: My God. Miranda Richardson. I just wish that we couldve seen a bit more of her throughout the film. She's absolutely perfect and brilliant. I always thought if Richardson was to get a part in Harry Potter, she'd be Bellatrix, but she was absolutely sublime.

Umbridge: I completely and utterly agree with you and how perfect Imelda Staunton is. We don't need her to necessarily look perfect for the part, but she is...tremendous. I love the deleted scene with her 'I really hate children' rant. I wish it'd been kept in the film, rather than just that line. Seeing her keep up this fluffy bunny act, and then just break down into madness would've been awesome.

Slughorn: I know I said I imagined Stephen Fry as Bagman, but when Bagman wasn't in the film, I thought he might be given Slughorn. I know he's not nearly old enough, but in the books, he's constantly descibed as genial, and Fry is about as genial as you can ever get. But Jim Broadbent is completely amazing, and the Francis story is probably one of my favourite moments of the films.

Harry vs Voldemort: I love everything about the extended duel. I love that Voldemort unleashes his skill during the staircase sequence, with his rapidfire Killing Curses. Not only does Avada Kedavra take power, but this is the fastest we've ever seen a character duel; in almost ever other duel, there seems to be a definite paced rhythm to the duel. I think the closest we've come to that speed was Molly against Bellatrix. Voldemort starts shooting them out the wazoo, and it is glorious. When I first read about the extended duel and the tower jump, I read that it occured in the Astronomy Tower. In my head, I imagined a bit of a slowmo sort of struggle, and then a throw over the edge, much like Frodo and Gollum. But seeing Voldemort lose his shit, smack Harry around and creep toward him, ready to push him over the battlements was intense, was awesome.
    imageimage
  • Martin1Martin1 Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first book I read before the movie was Prisoner of Azkaban, but I can't exactly recall whether it lived up to my expectations. I was, what, 9?

Goblet of Fire I remember more clearly, but nothing where I could be like: "Yeah, I imagined that scene a lot better in the book than this." Again, I was like 10 :p

Order of the Phoenix was the first one, though. I thought it was great, the best being Umbridge. She was perfect.

HBP was another. I knew the memory scenes were being cut, so I wasn't shocked by that and it didn't bother. The cave was beautiful and way better than I imagined while reading it.

So many things in Deathly Hallows film came on screen better than it could in my head. You can't imagine something like Courtyard Apocalypse or The Prince's Tale the way they were in the movie.

Voldemort vs Harry was better in the film than the book. I loved that change so much. It's probably my favorite change in the entire series.
    The first book I read before the movie was Prisoner of Azkaban, but I can't exactly recall whether it lived up to my expectations. I was, what, 9?

Goblet of Fire I remember more clearly, but nothing where I could be like: "Yeah, I imagined that scene a lot better in the book than this." Again, I was like 10 :p

Order of the Phoenix was the first one, though. I thought it was great, the best being Umbridge. She was perfect.

HBP was another. I knew the memory scenes were being cut, so I wasn't shocked by that and it didn't bother. The cave was beautiful and way better than I imagined while reading it.

So many things in Deathly Hallows film came on screen better than it could in my head. You can't imagine something like Courtyard Apocalypse or The Prince's Tale the way they were in the movie.

Voldemort vs Harry was better in the film than the book. I loved that change so much. It's probably my favorite change in the entire series.
  • Toini01Toini01 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭
    I think the best scenes which are EXACTLY how I imagined them in the book are
    -the escape from Gringotts. From the objects which are multiplying and the dragon's flight, everything was similar.
    -Courtyard Apocalypse : I didn't imagined the trio running in there but I just imagined a big battle scene in the courtyard with flashes, explosions, destruction, fire... It's THE picture I had for the entire BoH.
    "Where it all started... "
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    "It all ends here... "
  • XDMorsmordreXDXDMorsmordreXD Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    The first book I read before the film was Order of the Phoenix.
    I didn't like the film initially. It's grown on me though.
    Mysterious thing time.
    edited December 2011
    Can't see the pic.

And you edited the comment, nvrm :p
  • XDMorsmordreXDXDMorsmordreXD Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't see the pic.
    Oh...oh yeah? You can't?

Lolz, I deleted it.
    Mysterious thing time.
  • Lord_DarkeyesLord_Darkeyes Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭✭
    I gotta say..

DH1 was a lot like I pictured in the book. I just love the memories I had while reading it, and I think it really did bring those back.

DH2 was NOTHING like I pictured it. Idk. It was just so different than my own imagination. However, that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it any less!
    image image image

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭✭
    I would have liked to see more to the Ministry of Magic battle in OOTP. I love the whole Ministry scene in the OOTP book, and I was kind of let down with what we got in the movie.
  • mattStrelowmattStrelow Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was excited to see St. Mungus on film.