Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials | Official Thread

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited May 2015 in General

Books

The Maze Runner

Synopsis: Imagine waking up one day in total darkness, unsure of where you are and unable to remember anything about yourself except your first name. You're in a bizarre place devoid of adults called the Glade. The Glade is an enclosed structure with a jail, a graveyard, a slaughterhouse, living quarters, and gardens. And no way out. Outside the Glade is the Maze, and every day some of the kids -- the Runners -- venture into the labyrinth, trying to map the ever-changing pattern of walls in an attempt to find an exit from this hellish place. So far, no one has figured it out. And not all of the Runners return from their daily exertions, victims of the maniacal Grievers, part animal, part mechanical killing machines.Thomas is the newest arrival to the Glade in this Truman-meets-Lord of the Flies tale. A motley crew of half a dozen kids is all he has to guide him in this strange world. As soon as he arrives, unusual things begin to happen, and the others grow suspicious of him. Though the Maze seems somehow familiar to Thomas, he's unable to make sense of the place, despite his extraordinary abilities as a Runner. What is this place, and does Thomas hold the key to finding a way out? In The Maze Runner, Dashner has crafted a creative and engaging novel that's both mysterious and thought provoking.

Book trailer:

The Scorch Trials

Synopsis: Solving the Maze was supposed to be the end. No more puzzles. No more variables. And no more running. Thomas was sure that escape meant he and the Gladers would get their lives back. But no one really knew what sort of life they were going back to. In the Maze, life was easy. They had food, and shelter, and safety . . . until Teresa triggered the end. In the world outside the Maze, however, the end was triggered long ago. Burned by sun flares and baked by a new, brutal climate, the earth is a wasteland. Government has disintegrated—and with it, order—and now Cranks, people covered in festering wounds and driven to murderous insanity by the infectious disease known as the Flare, roam the crumbling cities hunting for their next victim . . . and meal. The Gladers are far from finished with running. Instead of freedom, they find themselves faced with another trial. They must cross the Scorch, the most burned-out section of the world, and arrive at a safe haven in two weeks. And WICKED has made sure to adjust the variables and stack the odds against them. Thomas can only wonder—does he hold the secret of freedom somewhere in his mind? Or will he forever be at the mercy of WICKED?

Book Trailer:

The Death Cure

Synopsis: Thomas knows that Wicked can't be trusted, but they say the time for lies is over, that they've collected all they can from the Trials and now must rely on the Gladers, with full memories restored, to help them with their ultimate mission. It's up to the Gladers to complete the blueprint for the cure to the Flare with a final voluntary test. What Wicked doesn't know is that something's happened that no Trial or Variable could have foreseen. Thomas has remembered far more than they think. And he knows that he can't believe a word of what Wicked says. The time for lies is over. But the truth is more dangerous than Thomas could ever imagine. Will anyone survive the Death Cure?

The Movie
The movie is in pre-production by 20th Century Fox. At the beggining of the year, it was published that the responsible for the direction would be Catherine Hardwicke. Although, since then, there are no more news about it or even a confirmation, as you can check in IMDB. Let's wait. :)

What did I thought?
I've read only the first one, but it was enough to make me fascinated about the series. Do you know when a book is so damn good that you can't put it away? When you stay hours awake reading? The Maze Runner is just this kind of book. I wanna thank Ernie for reccomending me the trilogy. Yesterday, the second book was released over here and it caught me totally by surprise. I just went to the book store and there it was. I couldn't be happier! I will start reading today. If you like dystopian young-adult novels and really enjoyed The Hunger Games, for example. I HIGHLY reccomend. Sometimes, it's even better than Suzanne Collins novel!

:D

image image image
We'll never be forgiven for what we did.
Trust me, I'm a Film Grad ;)
Post edited by Samch92 on

Comments

• You should, Vance!
    It's amazing!

I just hope Catherine Hardwicke doesn't direct the movie. Haha lol
    It has a great potential. J.J. Abrams could do it!
    image image image
  • JasonJason Posts: 7,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I'm going to pick this up soon. :)
  • NickNick Posts: 20,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    maybe they should make this a movie it would be awesome
  • Marie_AnetteMarie_Anette Posts: 3,506
    This sounds like a pretty interesting book :-?
    It doesn't fit my current mood, but I could give it a try.
    Photobucket
  • Fox is producing the movie, Nick :D
    image image image
  • dobby_freak19dobby_freak19 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭✭
    I want to read the 3rd one!!! The first 2 books are simply stunning very good reading
    cant wait for the 3rd :D
    Glad you liked it Henrick!
    Hope you like it!
  • aaronaaron Posts: 20,950 mod
    Sounds similar to the style of THG, I'll probably read this soon. Thanks for the recommendation, Rick! :)
    imageimageimage
  • I loved it, Ernie!!! Once again, thank you so much for introducing this trilogy to me! :D
    Sounds similar to the style of THG, I'll probably read this soon. Thanks for the recommendation, Rick! :)
    You're very welcome, bud!! I hope you like it, aaron! :D

image image image
  • JoshieJoshie Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HENRICK GO TO CHAT BITCH!
  • DON'T SHOUT AT ME :'(
    image image image
  • JoshieJoshie Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DON'T SHOUT AT ME :'(
    You know I'm kidding buddy. :)
  • mattStrelowmattStrelow Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Were these books already released in Brazil?

Oh well...
    20th Century Fox = MAJOR FLOP

• Yes, Matt!
    The first two have been already published.

Oh Matt. Fox is not that bad. Avatar, X-MEN, Star Wars, Ice Age... :D
    image image image
  • mattStrelowmattStrelow Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Matt!
    The first two have been already published.

Oh Matt. Fox is not that bad. Avatar, X-MEN, Star Wars, Ice Age... :D
    Of course Fox is not a bad studio, but there seems to be some curse around them, because every single book adaptation they released sucked and flopped (except for Narnia which made some good money but still sucked).
    Eragon, The Seeker, Percy Jackson, Narnia...

BTW, it seems that I haven't expressed my hate for Avatar to you guys yet :P

I just got the book and I'm excited to read it, but it will have to wait until I'm done with Mockingjay. :)
  • YAY JASON!! I hope you like it, bud!

I'm at the beggining of The Scorch Trials, the second one. AND JESUS CHRIST. THERE'S THIS SICK TWIST... :OOO

I WAS LIKE: WHAT THE HELL, JESUS CHRIST!!! :OOO
    image image image
  • Guys!
    I've just finished reading...

I think most of you know that I'm trying to find a saga to get excited about like I did with Potter. And, so far, The Hunger Games and The Maze Runner have been my best shots. I just love YA's dystopias and I find amazing the sense of urgency and how the violence is exposed in a teenagers environment.

After a shocking, disturbing and amazing cliff-hanger in an unexpected epilogue, The Scorch Trials begins in a really fast paced way. James Dashner is not the best YA's writer, but he knows how to drag you into a story and make the book a literally page-turner. But, as in Catching Fire, I got the same feeling while reading The Scorch Trials.

Writing a second book might be as harder as the first one. You have to deal with the expectations of the readers and, still, offer a story as good as the first one. For me, The Maze Runner Trilogy and The Hunger Games Trilogy suffer from the same issue: the second books are not as good as the first ones and they end up being overshadowed. Don't get me wrong: I love both of them, but they didn't get me as excited as the first ones.

That's the main problem of The Scorch Trials. James Dashner tries really hard to surprise the reader and the story goes follows a totally different path from the first. I really did think that somethings were over the top and I wasn't expecting a "zombie-like" subplot. The middle of the book does drag a bit but, the good thing: you always want to read more.

I highly recommend The Maze Runner saga to everyone that LOVES Twists. It's crazy the high quantity of twists in the story. It just drives you crazy and that's amazing. There's a twist in almost every chapter and you are left always wanting more. Despite some issues, The Scorch Trials is, indeed, a really good sequence. And it's so fun the way you discover things like the characters do. You feel as lost as the characters and, honestly? I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE THIRD ONE!

Summarizing, The Maze Runner is a really good surprise and, sometimes, even better than Hunger Games.

I highly recommend it, guys!
    image image image
    I'm starting it tomorrow, maybe tonight. :D I need something to take my mind off the calculating Mockingjay.
    imageimageimage
  • I really hope you enjoy, Aaron!
    If you like Lost, The Lord of Flies, Saw... It's impossible not to enjoy! :DDD
    image image image
    I'm half-way through The Maze Runner. :)
  • Are you enjoying it Jason ? :DDD
    image image image
    Yeah :D

It started out slow, but it's picking up. Might finish the book tomorrow.
  • Oh yeah! I forgot to tell you guys that!
    The book is not as fast paced as others YA's novels! :D
    image image image
    edited August 2011
    Finished it yesterday while the power was out: WOW.

It really picked up it's pace towards the end. Really shocking, especially the deaths, 2 in particular. The last few pages especially were shocking/confusing, didn't really expect all of that to happen.

At first, when I saw there was an epilogue, I thought it would be something on Thomas's life in his new place, but I was really surprise at all the twists. Can't wait to read the 2nd book. :D
  • YAAAY!

I'm glad you enjoyed it, bud!

I kinda agree that a lof of stuff happens on the last pages, but everything's so shocking and disturbing that... WOW

I was really disturbed.
    image image image
    One thing i didn't really understand, was 'The Flare' the sickness going around or what the sun was doing to Earth?
    I started yesterday evening and was so intrigued I read a little bit more than I intended to, up to the part where the girl comes out of the Box and she has the note. It's very interesting, I'm looking forward to my next session tonight. :D
    imageimageimage
  • I think this is going to be the next series I read after what I'm reading now.
  • One thing i didn't really understand, was 'The Flare' the sickness going around or what the sun was doing to Earth?
    It's the disease, bud :D
    image image image
  • Wow guys! I'm really happy and glad you all are enjoying it :DDD

image image image
  • RichardRichard Posts: 48,700 mod
    I want to read this are they making a movie anytime soon?
    When is it scheduled to release?
  • I want to read this are they making a movie anytime soon?
    Yes! Fox bought the rights to produce it! :D
    image image image
    I want to read this are they making a movie anytime soon?
    "The movie is in pre-production by 20th Century Fox. At the beggining of the year, it was published that the responsible for the direction would be Catherine Hardwicke. Although, since then, there are no more news about it or even a confirmation, as you can check in IMDB. Let's wait. :)"
    Catherine Hardwicke? OH HELL TO THE NO.
    imageimageimage
    I really hope Catherine Hardwicke isn't the director. I don't think she will do the story justice.
  • I KNOW! It will be a NIGHTMARE if she directs it! But I don't think she will.
    image image image
    Lol if she directs hope is lost.
    This is him, not impressive at all.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3834300/
    It says online that Noah Oppenheim will write the script.
    edited August 2011
    This movie is screwed... what a bunch of klunk. :(
    Post edited by Jason on
  • PopkinPopkin Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Wow looks really awesome! I'll definitely read them :)

1,000 post - woot woot! :D
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Oh wow, just read the first 2 chapters of The Scorch Trials. Disturbing. :o

• The beggining of Scorch Trials is amazing. I was shocked!
    image image image
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to read these, I think next after I finish the book I'm currently reading.
  • Guys. I've found a extended version of the book trailer!
    Amazing!!! :D

image image image
    Well, I'm almost halfway through the book. In my eyes it's still not as good as THG though. THG has likable, relatable, human characters whereas THG has semi-annoying boys (so far, the girl hasn't woken up yet.) But the one thing that I'm fascinated at by The Maze Runner is it's ability to be so intriguing and move at such a steady pace which is almost always fast. From the first few chapters it has been moving so fast I can hardly put the book down. Exciting things happen every chapter. It's great writing. So I'm loving the book so far.
    imageimageimage
  • That's great to know, bud!

What I love about The Maze Runner is the character development. I know that The Hunger Games has more likable characters, but I don't think that makes them more human. For me, it's quite the opposite, actually. What makes The Hunger Games characters likable is the fact that they have a lot of virtues and there's this obvious line between good and evil. The Maze Runner characters are much more human to me because they hate, they have a lot of shortcomings and annoying characteristics, but that's how every human being behave. Specially in a rotten world like theirs.

image image image
    I read for four hours straight last night, up til 3am and finished the book. IT WAS SO GOOD!

But I'm still really confused about some stuff. Basically all the stuff that happens after they go down the slide in the Griever Hole. First of all, the whole WICKED thing was an experiment to create the Maze, which was a trial of some sort to weed out the best of the best to fight the Flare, which was a solar flare which changed the face of the earth and made everyone diseased.

But I'm still so confused about WICKED; what exactly is it, why does it need help to fight the flare, and what the hell was up with the Creators? Who were the people that saved the Gladers? Why was Gally there, and why did he try and kill Thomas? I get the purpose of the Maze Trials but don't quite get the logisitics of it. What was the whole point of the Maze and Glade, and the Grievers? Why make the whole thing so complicated if it was basically just a survival trial? What exactly are the Grievers, it never gives a sufficient explanation? Why, if the Gladers were stolen at birth, did they come up in the Box when they were in their teens? And is the Maze in an alternate universe or still on earth somewhere?
    imageimageimage
    That's all probably answered in book 2.