Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

Pacific Rim

aaronaaron Posts: 20,950 mod
edited August 2011 in General
I forgot about this project for a while, but I just read a bit more on it, and it really does sound INSANE.

In 2013, we'll see Guillermo del Toro's next directorial effort--the giant monster film Pacific Rim, based on a screenplay by Travis Beacham. Del Toro described the monsters in the film to be "Huge". The film involves giant monsters traveling through a vortex in the pacific rim where they attack major cities and humans must battle them by using mecha suits called Jaegers. He comments,"This is my most un-modest film, this has everything. The scale is enormous and I'm just a big kid having fun."

Starring Charlie Day, Charlie Hunnam, Idris Elba, Willem Dafoe, Max Martini, Rinko Kikuchi, and Robert Kazinski.

--

Holy SHITE, this sounds fantastic, I really can't wait for it. I'm kind of skeptical about del Toro's films but I guess I enjoyed Pan's Labyrinth for the freaky fuck that it was, and I'm anticipating del Toro's Beauty (with Emma Watson) and his live-action reboot of The Haunted Mansion, so why not anticipate this as well. This could be an epic fail or an epic win on spectacular proportions, I just hope it is the latter because if done right, it could be REALLY awesome.
imageimageimage

Comments

• JoshieJoshie Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HOLY...SHIT THIS SOUNDS GREAT!

I'm going to see it :)
  • GodricGryffindorGodricGryffindor Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guillermo's agenda is way
    too messy. Stick to one project
    and get it done.

G.G.
  • aaronaaron Posts: 20,950 mod
    ^Yeah, I can agree with that. I am looking forward to Emma Watson as Belle more than this, though. :-ss
    imageimageimage
  • JasonJason Posts: 7,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So he already started working on this and it will be out in 2013? Sound really interesting, and like you said, it can be really epic or a failure.
  • I agree with Jason! It can be, indeed, epic or a failure!
    image image image
    We'll never be forgiven for what we did.
    Trust me, I'm a Film Grad ;)
  • yonythemoonyyonythemoony Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Lord StaffordLord Stafford Posts: 27,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, what do you know? He kept to it, Richard. On point, though, I agree with Aaron; this does sound insane!

Lord Stafford.
  • Samch92Samch92 Posts: 6,398 mod
    its seems like Godzilla lol :P
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • IsaiahIsaiah Posts: 3,342 mod
    It does. I thought for a second I saw Godzilla's head. But this looks crazy.
    LoyalWeasley18 - POTTERMORE EARLY MEMBER -CRIMSONICE199-
    Photobucket

Photobucket
  • aaronaaron Posts: 20,950 mod
    http://www.panpacificdefense.com/

13 days til the trailer! :O So excited!
    imageimageimage
    edited November 2012

• SoulxxBondSoulxxBond Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭✭
    Is that the creature... if so it looks pretty awesome!
    A trailer will premiere in a few minutes.
    Holy fuck.
    Damn that looks awesome! Another Godzilla kind of movie. I'll definitely see it.
  • Hm. If it wasn't directed by Del Toro, I wouldn't be excited about it. From the trailer, looks generic.
    image image image
    That was kick ass.
    Photobucket

Photobucket
  • RichardRichard Posts: 48,700 mod
    Wow
  • RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 7,872 mod
    Henrick said:

Hm. If it wasn't directed by Del Toro, I wouldn't be excited about it. From the trailer, looks generic.

hahaha why must we agree on nearly everything when it comes to movies? hahaha :P

• RyGuy said:

Henrick said:

Hm. If it wasn't directed by Del Toro, I wouldn't be excited about it. From the trailer, looks generic.

hahaha why must we agree on nearly everything when it comes to movies? hahaha :P

Because we are awesome, Ry! :D :D

image image image
  • mattStrelowmattStrelow Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am I the only one who thinks this looks very bad?

Yes
  • nick_hansennick_hansen Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't get what the big fuss over this Del Toro guy is all about.
  • Darth LedgerDarth Ledger Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Henrick.
    "If you make yourself more than just a man... If you devote yourself to an ideal... You become something else entirely- A Legend."

• chesterchester Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks like the average blockbuster movie.
    imageimageimage
  • NickNick Posts: 20,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a good popcorn flick but nothing memorable.
  • GodricGryffindorGodricGryffindor Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Guillermo is a great director, but this looks kinda basic.

G.G.
  • Probably, the last scene will be a fight with monsters and robots destroying buildings in NY. Oh wait.. LMAO JK :)
    image image image
  • RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 7,872 mod
    Henrick said:

Probably, the last scene will be a fight with monsters and robots destroying buildings in NY. Oh wait.. LMAO JK :)

I feel like every single action movie in the past few years always follows this same generic pattern...THERES MORE TO THE WORLD THAN NEW YORK MOVIE COMPANY LOCATION SCOUTS!!! 8-}
    They said that there'll be fights in lots of places in the world. In the trailer, they showed San Francisco. Also, Transformers had battles in Chicago, Los Angeles and in the desert.
  • HessHess Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I felt nothing watching that trailer.
    New pics:
    imageimageimage
  • NickNick Posts: 20,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    im not sure what to think about this movie. blockbuster? or Mediocre? i guess only time will tell.
  • Rinko Kikuchi <3
    image image image
    The movie was recently screened unfinished and the people love it.

Rian Johnson @rianjohnson (Twitter)
    Go into Pacific Rim prepared to be transmogrified into a 12 year old. And then to pee your pants with joy. I love it so much.

Bryan Chojnowski @BryanInSpace (Twitter)
    Just saw an early cut of Pacific Rim and it is pretttttty cool.

Eric Church @HoursOfWealth (Twitter)
    Saw a pre-screening of Pacific Rim… it is amazing.

Alex Irvine @alexirvine (Twitter)
    So, yeah. You’re going to want to see Pacific Rim.

IMDb user OriginsOfRuin:
    I just got back from the screening (though I’m not this guy’s friend, haha), and I freaking loved it. That’s all I can really say, but the FX are flat out incredible (the ones that were done) and the story is solid. I didn’t know Charlie Day was in it, and being a big fan of It’s Always Sunny, that was a pleasant surprise (he fits his role perfectly).

Overall, it’s probably the best summer monster movie I’ve seen, and out of summer movies in general, falls behind the new Batman series, but that’s about it. I wrote on their response form that they should be proud of the movie and that I’m glad it’s not another Transformers clone (re: Battleship). They killed it!

Let’s be honest, it’s not meant to be a complex, character-driven movie like the Batman franchise. There are huge monsters, humans fight them with big machines, and that’s your basic story. Beyond that, it’s easy to root for the characters and the action set pieces and monsters are incredible and awesome. It’s the summer action movie Transformers should’ve been, but failed epically at.

I don’t think you can expect that out of him because Avatar took place on another planet. Del Toro can only world build in the sense of envisioning a future on planet earth with crazy, big ass robots defending cities around the globe from giant, alien monsters. He can’t deviate too much from how we know and understand the world already.

1. The movie in its current form was around 2:00-2:15-ish. We weren’t allowed to have phones, so I’m not sure of the exact time..

2. I thought the performances were very good, considering the subject matter and the script. Idris Elba was great as the older commanding officer, and Charlie and Rinko both did well in their roles. Charlie Day and Ron Perlman were both awesome. It’s not going to win any SAG awards by any means, but the acting and direction were solid, and above average for a big monster movie.

3. It was hard to tell at points, to be honest. There was a good mixture between the two and they blended it really well. The set pieces with the jaegers were amazing and absolutely monstrous. It felt like a good combination between visual FX, models, and practical effects.

There were a good amount of kaijus (monsters), but they vary in size. Can’t really give the details on them.

If IMDb were to allow me to rated the movie, I’d give it a 10/10. I generally rate movies pretty highly, but that goes with understanding the identity of the movie for me. This particular film wasn’t meant to be anything more than giant robots fighting giant monsters. In that sense, it succeeded big time, and it had a lotta heart to go with it. I was thoroughly impressed and smiling throughout the film.

1. I think getting a maquette of anything from this movie would be pretty sweet. The designs of the jaegers and kaijus were very cool.

2. Yes, more than likely. I’d love to see it myself.

3. Umm… I honestly don’t remember the color that well. Black/gray/purple sounds about right. Somewhere in there, but mostly gray.
    Photobucket

Photobucket
    Some concept art:
    imageimageimage
    The second one is amazing.
  • Cathy97Cathy97 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭
    Frankly, I think he ought to have combined Beauty and the Beast with Pacific Rim so you'd have Belle battling the giant Godzilla-like monsters.

Lord Stafford.

Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures have just shared a teaser photo from an anticipated new trailer of Guillermo del Toro’s epic, action adventure Pacific Rim and it features Manila, Philippines.

The photo shows a screen-grab from a news flash, reporting that a kai kaiju (sea monster) wreaks havoc on Manila and leaves a pile contaminating the city.

Lord Stafford.
  • silverarrowgriffinsilverarrowgriffin Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    HAHAHA lol Manila XD I wish my city were that famous XD
    imageimage
    imageimage

Lord Stafford.
    edited May 2013

Lord Stafford.
    Post edited by Lord Stafford on