Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

Rate/Review the Last Movie or TV Show You Watched

Comments

• Lars von Trier should watch Tree of Life for the rest of his days to see how you make an art movie that isn't a complete bore and utter train wreck. It has shot to my #1 of 2011.
    image image image
    We'll never be forgiven for what we did.
    Trust me, I'm a Film Grad ;)
  • NumberEightNumberEight Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    :D

Malick's The Tree of Life has things to say that aren't shrouded in exaggeration, unlike Trier's view on depression. Everyone can relate to Tree of Life given its themes of life and death and what accompanies them, if they enjoy it, that is. Not everyone can relate to a crippling First World Problem and a mad, crazy woman. Malick's cosmos integration is far superior than Trier's, which breaks any sense of subtlety it hoped to achieve. Of course, that's not to say that Tree of Life doesn't break subtlety: its ending was subtle until dialogue came in and weakened the impact a bit. It's also a more ambitious and brave venture, causing so much divisiveness that I haven't seen in a long time.

I would have enjoyed Melancholia a lot more if the planet collision was more accurate and took place over the course of weeks, allowing for more insight into the characters.
    Pottermore username: DustBlade76

So Crucify the ego, before it's far too late, to leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical. And you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable.
  • AshAsh Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Martha Marcy May Marlene - 9/10. This film took me by surprise, an engrossing psychological thriller which I thought was very well constructed, and Elizabeth Olsen gives one of my favourite performances of the year. It really is haunting and I don't think I'll be forgetting it any time soon.
  • XDMorsmordreXDXDMorsmordreXD Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome! It's indeed led by a mesmerizing debut performance from Elizabeth Olsen and is a distinctive, haunting psychological drama.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Mysterious thing time.
  • Darth LedgerDarth Ledger Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gayniggers from Outer Space - 10/10. This is everything 2001: A Space Odyssey wishes it could be. A masterpiece on every level.
    It's a classic bahahaha. 10/10 here too

69%

I thought the ending sucked balls.

"If you make yourself more than just a man... If you devote yourself to an ideal... You become something else entirely- A Legend."

• RichardRichard Posts: 48,700 mod
    ..... lmao
    I died.
    Mysterious thing time.
  • aaronaaron Posts: 20,950 mod
    Is it sad that I enjoyed Horrible Bosses? 7/10 Lol just for Jennifer Aniston playing with herself.
    imageimageimage
    I need to see that movie aaron.. lol
    Gayniggers from Outer Space is next on my list.
    imageimageimage
    oh god... LOL
  • GodricGryffindorGodricGryffindor Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows - 89%

Beautifully executed. The technical aspects were
    perfect. Simply, perfect. The pace is quite slow at
    times, but overall, this is a thrilling experience.

I'm a fan of Guy Ritchie's vision. I loved the first
    film just as much as I loved this one. I honestly
    can't wait for the third installment.

The acting was superb. Holmes/Watson bromance
    was enjoyable and believable. Jared Harris was
    perfect as Moriarty. Although, I do have to say that
    Noomi Rapace and Rachel McAdams were underused.

SPOLIER
    I can't believe they killed her character.
    I was devastated.

---------------------------------------------
    "A Game of Shadows" was brilliant. Yes, I know there
    are quite a lot of haters out there, but I just don't care.
    Guy Ritchie has delivered, once again.

G.G.

Her death was conspicuous... She may yet be alive... If this is the Nolan Verse lol
    "If you make yourself more than just a man... If you devote yourself to an ideal... You become something else entirely- A Legend."

• GodricGryffindorGodricGryffindor Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Her death was conspicuous... She may yet be alive... If this is the Nolan Verse lol
    I really hope so.
    I really do.

G.G.
    Carnage (Roman Polanski, 2011) 4.5/5
    I has been a while that I've seen such a deep character study in a comedy. At the same time, it has been a while that I haven't had so much fun watching a comedy. A smart, provocative, acid one. It might not have a lot of big moments - one of them is really remarkable indeed - but Carnage is an exercise in great performances and a vivid and intelligent script with hilarious dialogues. Jodie Foster should definitely receive an Oscar Nomination. Fast and comic, Carnage is also a criticism on hypocrisy and the society.
    image image image
    I really want to see Carnage, Henrick. the trailer had me hooked.

So Crucify the ego, before it's far too late, to leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical. And you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable.
  • alec96alec96 Posts: 85 ✭✭
    If anyone is interested to see my reviews of the latest movies I've watched, then feel free to check out my blog. http://moviereviewer96.wordpress.com/
    Horrible Bosses - 58%
    Tucker and Dale vs Evil - 88%

I loved Tucker and Dale, I was mildly interested in HB... Muthafucka Jones was the best part.

• chesterchester Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clash of the titans - 6/10. The acting from Sam Worthington is horrible. Can't stand that guy. Hope he doesn't make many movies in the future. He also ruined Avatar for me. The story was okay, so were the SFX.
    imageimageimage
  • Clash of the titans - 6/10. The acting from Sam Worthington is horrible. Can't stand that guy. Hope he doesn't make many movies in the future. He also ruined Avatar for me. The story was okay, so were the SFX.
    Thank God that in 2/3 of the movie he was an Avatar. I can't stand him too. Terrible and mediocre actor.
    image image image
  • RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 7,872 mod
    I. DESPISE. AVATAR.

GYEAHHHHHHHHHH!!!
    edited January 2012
    I. DESPISE. AVATAR.

GYEAHHHHHHHHHH!!!
    It's one of my favorites.

• Marie_AnetteMarie_Anette Posts: 3,506
    edited January 2012

Across The Universe - 8.5/10
    Didn't like the execution of some scenes, but I thought it was a really good movie.

Moulin Rouge - 9.5/10
    Photobucket
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2012
    War Horse (Steven Spielberg, 2011) 4/5
    It's the typical academic movie screaming for awards, where everything is calculated and beautifully done. Once again, Spielberg proves its talent in directing war sequences and landscape scenes. As always, the combo John Williams and Steven Spielberg works really well. I really enjoyed how the camera captured the horses and their emotional feeling. Actually, I was more moved by the animals than by the characters. War Horse is, indeed, a beautiful movie although is much more remarkable and appealing to the eyes and the ears than to the heart.

Gulliver's Travel (Rob Letterman, 2010) 0/5
    Jonathan Swift turned in his grave. I feel embarrassed for everyone involved in this atrocious piece of shit. One of the worst movies I've ever seen these past years. Maybe, in my entire life.
    image image image
  • Martin1Martin1 Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - 9.5/10
    Lmao rick sassy!!
  • Lmao rick sassy!!
    Hahahahahaha. It's terrible Rich. Jesus Christ. It made me hate Jack Black even more. I'm still feeling offended by some scenes.
    image image image
    edited January 2012
    jack Black is still awesome even though he has had duds. I like his work in The School of Rock, King Kong, High Fidelity, Kung Fu Panda, Saving Silverman, The Holiday, Tropic Thunder, Nacho Libre, Orange County, and Shallow Hal.

I think he's best in King Kong.

• CarneCarne Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭
    Sherlock Holmes 2 - 7.5/10

Entertaining, but messy.
    The only movies I have ever liked Jack Black in are King Kong and Be Kind Rewind I cannot stand when that douche opens his mouth and sings so If I know he's singing in a movie...I do my best to avoid it lol. I don't really like him as an actor either he's just kind of eh lol but alas all a matter of opinion.

Last night we all watched jackass 3 before bed lol it was certainly a watch...seeing people shit in slowmo, get thrown in the air while in a portopotty, rammed by bulls etc just made me think of how stupid they were not how funny they were lol. However I did genuinely laugh at some bits like the midget fight in the bar. Overall I'd give it a 4/10 lol
    Lol the only movies I like Jack Black in are King Kong and School of Rock...
    imageimageimage
    Lol the only movies I like Jack Black in are King Kong and School of Rock...
    Haha I hated school of rock lmao I cringe every time he opens his mouth Lmfao
  • OH MY GOD. Jackass 3 is so disgusting. I almost thrown up watching it. Hahahaha lmao
    image image image
  • Mr108jmlMr108jml Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    Midnight in Paris- 4/5
    The film was amazing and funny; I enjoyed a lot even though I'm not a big fan of romantic comedies and of Owen Wilson.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo- 4.5/5
    One of my top films of the year, Rooney Mara was amazing as Lisbeth. The movie is extraordinary, mysterious and dark, however, is not my favorite David Fincher film.

Tree of Life- 4/5
    Tree of Life is a great, beautiful film but I wish the film focused more on the character drama rather than the "visual treats".

The Debt- 3.5/5

Tree of Life- 4/5
    Tree of Life is a great, beautiful film but I wish the film focused more on the character drama rather than the "visual treats".
    I'd argue that the visuals are part of the characters' development.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2012
    We Need to Talk about Kevin (Lynne Ramsay, 2011)
    For me, the best movies are the ones that stick on your mind after you leave the movie theater. I have got a I'll be thinking about We Need to Talk about Kevin a lot for the next days. Tilda Swinton is a monster and the whole cast including Ezra Miller, is superb. The movie quietly engages you and when you see, you are already totally involved by the story. I loved all the symbolism regarding the colors and the sounds. It's that typical kind of movie with an amateurish look but has so much too say that you leave the theater astonished. By far, one of the best movies I've seen these past months. Do a favor to yourself and WATCH it :D
    image image image
  • chesterchester Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jurassic Park - Great movie but the children are soooo anoying. 8,5/10
    imageimageimage
    Contagion Pictures, Images and Photos
    Contagion
    7.5/10

It wasn't amazing, but it was certainly interesting and entertaining. The cast was great!
    The end was rather abrupt though...
    Mysterious thing time.
  • HessHess Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best part of Contagion was the final sequence. Powerful stuff.

The Artist 2011 - Before I started watching this movie, I never thought I would love it as much as I genuinely did. This is what movie making is all about in my eyes. Captivating the viewer even if your characters have no spoken lines. The emotions that each character conveys with body movement and simple looks, smiles, frowns...These actors did a superb job. The Music was absolutely stunning and complimented the film very well. The sets were one thing I kept oogling at and all the little artifacts. Above all these though, is the story. While The Artist is a shorter movie it conveyed a great story with excellent pacing and many surprises. The emotions these characters convey with just their body and their face...it had me stunned. I genuinely loved this movie and it is my favorite of 2011 hands down. This was a refreshing homage to cinema's past. I find it stunning that a movie with no spoken words or color can have more heart and better characters than most the movies released last year. I find that stunning. I never rate films a perfect score...but I am giving The Artist a 10/10 because of how the people behind this collaborated and made a stunning film. If you get a chance I highly recommend you see it.
    Now I have no patience... :'(
    I'll wait though.
    Did you cry?
    Mysterious thing time.
  • Martin1Martin1 Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    X-Men Origins: Wolverine - 3/10

Bad the first two times, still just as bad the third time :p
    The Artist - 10/10 (my review is the Artist Discussion Thread)

We Bought a Zoo - 6/10
    imageimageimage
    Death at a Funeral (Neil LaBute, 2010) 1/5
    I have no words to describe how the British the version is much better and funnier than this atrocious piece of filmmaking.
    image image image
    Batman Begins - 9/10

Better than every single film nominated for best picture this year.

Batman Begins - 9/10

Better than every single film nominated for best picture this year.
    How many times do you watch this? Lol
    imageimageimage
  • BaneBane Posts: 9,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Devil Inside (0/5)
    Bar none one of the worst films ever made and just proves that there is a certain level of skill that actually does got into the found footage genre-- if even the most ardent of naysayers were to watch this film after watching something like The Blair Witch Project, it may actually get them to appreciate the legitimately good ones a lot more. Nothing was new or unique about it and most of the more energetic moments were played up as nothing more than empty shock value and the entirety of the planet earth was right about the ending.

As a horror film buff I found this to be a complete travesty of monumental proportions and I could not even recommend it on the level of just passable horror fun, because it's not even that.
  • AllStar87AllStar87 Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭
    Death at a Funeral (Neil LaBute, 2010) 1/5
    I have no words to describe how the British the version is much better and funnier than this atrocious piece of filmmaking.
    Hahaha Come on Henrick! I'm still at the age where I find these comedies funny lol. Chris Rock, Tracy Morgan, Zoe Saldana, and Kevin Hart! That is an amazing and funny cast.
  • AllStar87AllStar87 Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭
    50/50:

Oh Wow! After I heard Morses and Aaron's opinions on the film, I was so excited to see. I'm not just saying this because I saw it about an hour ago, it's one of my favorite films. The film was just extraordinary. JGL was just got completly robbed of a nomination. He was so powerful and believable. I'm actually kind of echoing what everybody on the forum has said about the film. But the screenplay was so well done. Seth Rogen is known for the comedies but he was super good in this movie. I give it a 10/10!