Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

Rate/Review the Last Movie or TV Show You Watched

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2011
    OMG. I really wanna watch Submarine. :D
    image image image
    We'll never be forgiven for what we did.
    Trust me, I'm a Film Grad ;)
  • Martin1Martin1 Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mission impossible: ghost protocol: 9/10
  • Darth LedgerDarth Ledger Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barbie in Fairy Land - 46%

Found myself somewhat interested towards the end... I also thought Barbie might die as well.
    "If you make yourself more than just a man... If you devote yourself to an ideal... You become something else entirely- A Legend."

I'm not shitting you guys I just watched that mess with my little sister
    "If you make yourself more than just a man... If you devote yourself to an ideal... You become something else entirely- A Legend."

• Pensieve SeekerPensieve Seeker Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭✭
    This past Sunday, Mom invited me over for dinner and a movie Dad had just gotten called Flight of the Intruder. It's a 1991 film with Danny Glover, Willem Dafoe, and Brad Johnson about some aircraft in the Vietnam War. Well, Dad kept getting distracted with other matters and so, after about 40 minutes or so, Mom asked me if I was interested in seeing the rest of it and I wasn't. I gave it a try, but it just wasn't my cup of tea.

I guess I'd give it 6/10.
    Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Pottermore user name: SilverQuest212
  • XDMorsmordreXDXDMorsmordreXD Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    X2: X-MEN UNITED Pictures, Images and Photos
    X2: X-Men United
    90%

Thrilling, fun, and a great sequel! I've loved this movie since I saw it in theaters!

Great scene.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Mysterious thing time.
  • NumberEightNumberEight Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inception is tolerable, but it's still not this grand epic people claim it is. The writing is still atrocious, though. So, the best way to put it is that it's like Transformers: shitty writing but interesting enough to watch more than once.
    Pottermore username: DustBlade76

So Crucify the ego, before it's far too late, to leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical. And you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable.
    Inception is tolerable, but it's still not this grand epic people claim it is. The writing is still atrocious, though. So, the best way to put it is that it's like Transformers: shitty writing but interesting enough to watch more than once.
    Inception defines everything movies are about.

• NickNick Posts: 20,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    inception was a good popcorn flick but thats about it.
  • PumpkinjuicePumpkinjuice Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Elf

A fun family comedy with charm and good messages that gets you in the right Christmas mood.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

(Posted over from another thread. Beware of spoilers.)

I still have to reflect a bit more on the film, but I can say that I liked it. It was stylistically shot and edited, especially the rape scenes with the way the camera slowly pulled out of the dimly lit hallway. The slow progression of the detective work was wonderfully captured and engaging, partially helped by the rising music in many scenes suggesting that they get closer and closer to the answer, but that it's still out of the reach. As such, it certainly put you into the shoes of the characters' mind. The climax was suspenseful, especially Blomqvist walking through the house near the end. That was perhaps the most suspenseful scene I've seen this year. The following car chase was a bit underwhelming and flat to be honest, especially when compared to the depth found in the Swedish version with the flashback to the burning of Lisbeth's father and the implications that she had put him on fire. That would have given a new meaning to the title of the film. I kept waiting for her to approach the dying man, but the car just exploded and that was it. Disappointing. The ending was also way too long. When the case was solved, the rest could have been saved for the sequel in my opinion. However I found the final scene of Rooney Mara eyeing Blomqvist and his wife quite touching. The script and Mara's sublime acting made it clear that her troubled background, which is hinted at, turned her into this mentally disturbed and socially awkward person. That makes her a likeable character because of what society has done to her and how she struggles to live a normal, good life. Behind the cool mask she is a vulnerable and emotional person who deep down wants to find someone to trust. And she does in Blomqvist, who she also falls in love with. Her disappointed look when he walks away with his wife was a powerful way to end the film.

All in all, while lacking in parts, a solid and strong film.
    Inception defines everything movies are about.
    I wouldn't say that.
    Inception has its good parts, I'm not going to lie, and it's very rewatchable for me, but there are some gaping problems: conflict, character, and science.

There's no conflict, which by gives full characters. The science introduced in the film is flip flopped and not handled as well as it should have handled.
    Melancholia: I'd rather watch Hugo again. Let your imagination run wild about what I think about this movie.

So Crucify the ego, before it's far too late, to leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical. And you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable.
  • Melancholia: I'd rather watch Hugo again. Let your imagination run wild about what I think about this movie.
    :O

Write more.
    image image image
    edited December 2011
    It's empty, insipid, devoid of anything redeemable, boring, plodding, dumb, stupid, trash. This is the prime example why I try and stay away from art cinema. Von Triers is 0-2 for me.

Edit: The best things about this movie belong to Kirsten Dunst.

• :OOOO

Can you give you justify your reasons, man? I mean... You're the first person I know that haven't enjoyed the movie and I would like to read your point of view.
    image image image
    I think it is wholly uninteresting from the beginning of Part One until the end. None of the characters are interesting; it's boring as hell; it says nothing interesting; it's pretentiously directed, just like its misogynistic predecessor; the acting is nothing to praise because all of the characters mope around and do nothing but look sad; the director's fascination with depression is getting old and tiring; Dunst is hilariously awful in her role; etc. There's not much to talk about because it's an empty movie. I'm glad you like it, but I think it's irredeemable trash that would have been better off if the stock was burned and Von trier's assets seized for pranking audiences into spending money to see it.

Damn, now I need to see this movie to give my two cents.
  • Wow. I'm surprised because I find exactly the opposite about everything you said.
    image image image
    Note that I'm a cynical motherfucker, and the end of the world would be hilarious to me. How I did not find this entertaining shows how terrible it is.

• HessHess Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lmao this dude is funny. In a good way though.
    Why am I funny?

• For me, there are some different ways to judge a movie. From what you wrote, I understood that you didn't like the movie from a personal point of view. That can happen with anyone. There are a lot of illustrious and respected films that I didn't catch my attention or that I didn't feel a connection with it. However, we have to be careful while judging the quality of a piece of art when we, personally, don't feel connected to it.

Melancholia, in my opinion, is a great character study as the scientific background emerges as trigger of this development. It's basically a rehearsal of rational conditions of the human being. I would like to read more from you, as you basically gave some adjectives to define the movie.
    image image image
    edited December 2011
    Well, you're not getting anything else from me as I see it as empty and not worth discussing in detail.

Keep in mind that when I eventually revisit it, I may like it. That happened recently with Inception, which I used to hate to death

• I think you should. You may find yourself disconnected from it, boring, slow-paced. But I can't see how a movie with some many debatable subjects and questions can be empty. Maybe you couldn't find it, but they are there.
    image image image
    Tonight I watched my baby.

REVENGE OF THE SITH

Best Star Wars movie to me and also the most emotional. Had this been filmed with a red epic imax 3D camera and shown to the public it woulda broke out like avatar and been a visual masterpiece. When Anakin and Padme are looking at each other from one building to another before he sheds a tear is one of my favorite moments. Thank you Jedi/Palpatine for creating a monster. Order 66 was saddening and Anakin killing younglings was disturbing. The end shot of dead Padme with the necklace thing Anakin made for her in Episode 1 makes me uncomfortable emotionally. Lightsaber duals were best in the series. The only nuance is Hayden's acting but I'll put it this way: I'm not concerned with weird dialogue in a galaxy where every other fucking life form has a fish head or speaks gobbledegook. I love this movie.

stand Pictures, Images and Photos
    9.5/10
    Fun, emotional, coming-of-age classic. One of my favorite movies, if not my favorite. I re-watch it a lot.

:)
    Mysterious thing time.
    edited December 2011
    I think you should. You may find yourself disconnected from it, boring, slow-paced. But I can't see how a movie with some many debatable subjects and questions can be empty. Maybe you couldn't find it, but they are there.
    Because its a boring Saturday, I'll bite. What questions could this ghastly film possibly bring forth? Just because you say they are there doesn't mean they are.

Would you mind explaining what you mean by this? "However, we have to be careful while judging the quality of a piece of art when we, personally, don't feel connected to it." I interpret this as a tacit dismissing of complaints garnered towards this movie. What's the point of liking a movie when you aren't connected to it? Try and be less pretentious in your answer, please.

SPOILERS ABOUND IN THIS REVIEW

Steven Soderbergh rarely fails to impress me. After seeing his biopic of Che Guevara (the best biopic I've ever watched), I vowed to see everything he makes in the future. While I have not yet seen The Girlfriend Experience, I did just finish watching Contagion. It has shot to the number one spot of what I saw released last year. It is everything I want in a movie like this: realistic characters and events, excellent music, captivating story, politics that makes sense, no dull moments, no moments that have me rolling my eyes. I could go on.

What makes this movie work for me is how realistic it is, down to the story, the characters, and how government agencies and private entities would behave given the presented scenario. No thread is left untouched in the story; every question that flowed through my mind was addressed. How will the government handle this? What about corporations? How about the pharmaceutical companies? And the conspiracy theorists? How will those who work for the government agencies deal with their family members? What will become of that? How will society as a whole react? Will it be realistic? Will there be a character that we connect to who will become the ultimate cliché that any other unskilled director would have him be?

I don't know much about viruses and how they work, but when one of the doctors mentions that bacteria causes ulcers and not stress, like hacks claim, I knew that there must be some plausibility to it. If not, who cares? The reaction to this viral problem is what matters. Running on the banks, murders, robberies, quarantines, National Guard deployment, anti-vaccine nutjobs, politics between countries, etc.? All of this happens and it makes sense.

One of best parts of the film, and note that this would not have happened in lesser hands, is how Jude Law's character, Alan, is dealt with. The plausibility of the character is immensely high, so that's not a problem. What he does is not a problem given the circumstance. How the film deals with the character in the end is not a problem. In fact, it aptly demonstrates how dangerous people like Alan are and how they can affect the safety and well-being of people in such an event. Just look back to the swine flu, where people were urging others to not take the vaccine. Even Bill Maher, who I admire at times, called people who took it stupid. That response would be far, far more prevalent given the scenario in Contagion. Alan's followers number over 10 million and they bailed him out after he was arrested for fraud. People like him are frauds and dangerous, and it's absolutely exquisite that this film shows them for who they are.

The best thing about it, however, is the lack of aversion to science and the advancements we have made, outside of the nut-jobs. Seeing them in action and being conflicted with not being able to find a vaccine quick enough is fascinating. Seeing how they deal with death on their own turf and with their family shows that they are human instead of cliché scientists who only want to play God. It’s this positive attitude toward the various fields within the film that cement it as the best thing from 2011 that I saw, surpassing The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Deathly Hallows Part 2, and even the magnificent Drive. It’s this positive attitude toward the individuals who are the reason why you are here alive and well that makes it the best and most pro-science movie I have ever seen.

Just finished reading TGWTDT. I NEED TO FUCKING SEE THIS SHIT NOWWWW!
  • I think you should. You may find yourself disconnected from it, boring, slow-paced. But I can't see how a movie with some many debatable subjects and questions can be empty. Maybe you couldn't find it, but they are there.
    Because its a boring Saturday, I'll bite. What questions could this ghastly film possibly bring forth? Just because you say they are there doesn't mean they are.

Would you mind explaining what you mean by this? "However, we have to be careful while judging the quality of a piece of art when we, personally, don't feel connected to it." I interpret this as a tacit dismissing of complaints garnered towards this movie. What's the point of liking a movie when you aren't connected to it? Try and be less pretentious in your answer, please.

I would say that the movie is a study about depression and, well, melancholia, presented from two different perspectives. I think that depression is a subject that already is related to debates.

First Chapter - Justine
    Over here we follow a woman that is really unhappy with her life and tries to fake it and live by appearance. Basically, it's the first step of depression: she is unhappy, lying to herself. In my opinion, this is already something to discuss. How honest are we with ourselves? Do we really live a life that we want? Over here, Justine is after something she doesn't know what it is. And it's funny how she and her family faces the marriage. Is it a legit ceremony? Or pure hypocrisy? Do we, humans, live by appearance? What's our purpose?

Second Chapter - Claire
    Now, Justine's depression has developed. She's not trying to find a purpose, she is now convinced that we actually don't have a purpose. It's the unknown. Depression is, sometimes, fearing the unknown. Claire starts getting depressed because... she doesn't know what's coming next. Have you notice that Justine starts to get better when the disaster seems inevitable? And Claire starts to get worse? There this existencialism subject on it. And we can't deny it.

That's some of the questions :D
    image image image
  • By the way, @NumberEight, I agree with everything you said about Contagion. Great movie.
    image image image
    Unknown - 8/10

Really good spy thriller, Liam Nesson is a mother fucking badass.
  • RayeRaye Posts: 2
    Sweeny Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street.
    8/10, due to the fact that the over usage of blood to the point it was comical. But honestly it had its moments of brutal gore. It was neat seeing four HP alumni in a diffrent setting. I think its a Tim Burton classic through and through.
    Fellowship of the Ring

91%

Being my third favorite series of fantasy after Harry Potter and Star Wars I naturally give all three LotR films high ratings. But you know what? They deserve it. I love nothing more than a film that takes itself seriously.

• GodricGryffindorGodricGryffindor Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    ONE DAY - 90%

Twenty Years, Two people, One Day.

Romantic, beautiful, and tragic.
    "One Day" is a rarity; it manages to tell
    the story of Emma and Dexter throughout
    two decades, making it a wonderfully emotional journey.

Anne Hathaway gives an extraordinary performance as
    Emma, I fell in love with her from the first moment I saw
    her. Jim Strurgess' Dexter is phenomenal.

The direction is quite imaginative and captivating. The
    score is outstanding. My only complaint would be that
    the film feels a tad disjointed. Every year is a different
    story, but they connect through Dex and Em's friendship.

I LOVE THIS FILM.
    ------------------------------------------------
    I cried for an hour after I finished watching the film.
    The ending is one of the most tragic things I have
    ever seen.

G.G.
    I need to check that^ out, it sounds interesting

• BaneBane Posts: 9,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

This movie is FUCKING AWESOME. And you wouldn't think so-- you won't even believe it until the credits start rolling. This is an incredibly clever, well written and directed horror comedy with something rare in the field: heart. Check it out promptly. It's on Netflix. I don't have enough great things to say about it.
    88%
    I love this film - it's filled with heart and charm.
    It's also very tragic, especially near the end.
    Mysterious thing time.
    Ondine (Neil Jordan, 2009) 4/5
    I love independent and arthouse movies that has a mystical or fairytale approach on it. And that's all Ondine is about. Let's say that Ondine is everything that Lady in the Water tried to be and wasn't. A beautiful and lyrical tale, opened to self-interpretations and conclusions. The enchanting cinematography, the astonishing landscape from Ireland and the hypnotizing performance of Alicja Bachleda turns Ondine into a totally remarkable experience.
    image image image
  • GodricGryffindorGodricGryffindor Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I need to check that^ out, it sounds interesting
    You should!
    It's really sad, though.

G.G.
  • Mr108jmlMr108jml Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    Into the Wild- 4.5/5 stars

This is a beautiful and amazing character-driven film. The story is inspiring and the cinematography is beautiful; the cast deliver great performances (especially Emile Hirsch). Sean Penn really surprised me with the screenplay and direction.
    THE SECRET GARDEN (1993)

I know this is random as shit on a skyscraper but I loved it... 87%

• BaneBane Posts: 9,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WATCH TUCKER AND DALE YOU UNDERDEVELOPED ZYGOTES
    WATCH TUCKER AND DALE YOU UNDERDEVELOPED ZYGOTES
    I NEED MOVIE FIRST

edited January 2012
    Lars von Trier should watch Tree of Life for the rest of his days to see how you make an art movie that isn't a complete bore and utter train wreck. It has shot to my #1 of 2011.

• AshAsh Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gayniggers from Outer Space - 10/10. This is everything 2001: A Space Odyssey wishes it could be. A masterpiece on every level.
  • RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 7,872 mod
    edited January 2012
    Salo: 120 days of Sodom...Well I dont have many words for this...and I dont even know if I can give it a decent rating but for now I will say 4/10 lol...

Drive - 8/10 I really liked this movie, very good character development.
  • RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 7,872 mod
    Gayniggers from Outer Space - 10/10. This is everything 2001: A Space Odyssey wishes it could be. A masterpiece on every level.
    It's a classic bahahaha. 10/10 here too