Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

Rate/Review the Last Movie or TV Show You Watched

aaronaaron Posts: 20,950 mod
edited April 2012 in General
For the life of me, I cannot find the other thread, and we can't search for threads, so I'm starting a new one.

Rango - 9/10.

The most beautiful and dazzling animated film I've ever seen, surpassing anything from Pixar. Rango is witty, charming, and very very clever. It has a worthy vocal performance from Johnny Depp and while it moves at a bit of a slow pace, it has the oddball tone and Verbinski flare which culminate into a fantastic Western. Loved it!
imageimageimage
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• aaronaaron Posts: 20,950 mod
    Source Code--8.5/10. Probably the best mindfuck I've had since Inception...though nowhere near Inception's caliber, it was a great film, and Jake Gyllenhaal gave a terrific performance.
    imageimageimage
  • JoshieJoshie Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 - 10/10 - Amazing film, I truly loved it, mostly everything in the film was just so fantastic and heart-breaking. ;)
    Source Code--8.5/10. Probably the best mindfuck I've had since Inception...though nowhere near Inception's caliber, it was a great film, and Jake Gyllenhaal gave a terrific performance.
    How'd you see it? I don't think the DVD comes out 'til Tuesday...
    Maybe, dollar theater?

• HorcruxWandererHorcruxWanderer Posts: 1,562
    Just before Harry Potter:

Bridesmaids 9/10 (for comedy)
    Well me and my friends were in town and we went to the cinema and I wanted to see Bad Teacher but that was on too late so I reluctantly agreed to go see this; I was expecting it to be one of those movies where the funniest bits were shown in the trailer but I was so wrong.. in fact, it was the opposite - It was really rather funny, with hilarious moments and cringey situations which were so amusing :D Good acting and direction and worth £5.50
    How'd you see it? I don't think the DVD comes out 'til Tuesday...
    um...torrent leak perhaps?
    Yes, HD torrent leak.

imageimageimage
  • GredWeasleyGredWeasley Posts: 236 ✭✭
    Beside Harry Potter

Transformers: Dark of the Moon in 3D
    8/10

Great Action
    Great 3D
    Not so great acting
    Great CGI
    Okay Humor
    Pretty bad dialogue

Not anything Oscar worthy but the perfect example of a movie that gives you entertainment and fun for 2 and a half hours.
    This is what a wasted moment looks like.
    Friends With Benefits - 7.5/10

Funny, but it wasn't what I expected it to be, lol.

I wanted to go with a girl :)
    Batman Begins - 8.4/10

About my 3rd or 4th watch since the film came out in 2005, and certainly my first watch in over a year. I came at the film with fresh eyes and a passion for filmmaking, so I feel my analysis is better: IMO, the film's opening hour is brilliant and poetic. However, it gets kind of bland, and unrealistic towards the last half. Nolan really knows how to make good action sequences, but they can't all save the boring premise. Plus, Gotham just looks a little fake. Nowhere near The Dark Knight's legacy, but the second best Batman film ever and more of an emotional backdrop. I'll say I liked Bruce Wayne better in this film than the second. Can't wait for TDKR.
    imageimageimage
    Good review, aaron, Batman Begins and of course Dark Knight was GREAT.
  • MayFruitMayFruit Posts: 333

Die Hard 8/10I finally saw this for the first time. Very entertaining and better than most action films nowadays, plus Alan Rickman played his role wonderfully. Rickman's Hans Gruber is my second favorite characters after Snape.

The Social Network 9/10 I understand now why this one is phenomenal. It's a challenge to make movie about computer programmer without being boring, but they manage to make it entertaining and smart at the same time.

I Saw The Devil 1/10 What a disappointing movie. The violence was so overrated and most of the time it actually unnecessary. I don't mind violence movie, by the way. In fact, I watched this because it was being compared to another Korean movie, Old Boy (which I think is one of the best movie of all time).
    Accio Alan Rickman

Wah-wah! Here comes the sun http://www.miedy.com/ (my personal website)
  • Marie_AnetteMarie_Anette Posts: 3,506
    Fantastic Mr. Fox - 9/10

It's an animated film, stop motion style. Just like The Nightmare before Christmas and others like that. The story centers around a family of foxes living in/under a tree. They have a son, Ash, who's 12 and kinda awkward. The action begins when Mr. Fox decides to go back to the old days with his friend, the badger and steal something from the 3 most vicious and mean farmers in the area. They end up putting everyone in danger and losing their home... And the rest I'll let you see for yourself! It's really enjoyable, has good jokes and really nice animation!
    The voices of Mr. and Mrs. Fox are George Clooney and Meryl Streep
    Photobucket
  • marques18marques18 Posts: 334 ✭✭
    The Descent - 8/10
    Before watching the movie I thought I was a great film to be scared with. But I was really surprised when I watched it! It was fantastic, although it was kinda freaky there was really some story behind some of the characters. I jumped lots of times! It's a great movie to watch if your into horror movies :-D
    Pottermore - ThestralStorm79

• The Descent - 8/10
    Before watching the movie I thought I was a great film to be scared with. But I was really surprised when I watched it! It was fantastic, although it was kinda freaky there was really some story behind some of the characters. I jumped lots of times! It's a great movie to watch if your into horror movies :-D
    YAY BUD!
    I'm glad you liked it! :D

image image image
    We'll never be forgiven for what we did.
    Trust me, I'm a Film Grad ;)
  • Darth LedgerDarth Ledger Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Twister- 9/10

To this day I have not seen a tornado movie that sells me on the CGI like Twister. This movie, like Jurassic Park, will live on no matter what the time period.
    "If you make yourself more than just a man... If you devote yourself to an ideal... You become something else entirely- A Legend."

• Captain America: The First Avenger (2011, Joe Johnston) - 2/5
    It begins promising, but it turns out being just another super hero movie. Everything is flat: the narrative, the acting, the editing, even the special effects. It's funny how the movie is directed in a really political and diplomatic way. There are no big moments or great action scenes. And, honestly? Chris Evans doesn't have enough charisma to play an super hero like Captain America. The First Avenger is just... Average.

Battle Royale (Batoru rowaiaru, Kinji Fukasaku, 2000) - 3.5/5
    Now we all know from where Suzanne Collins found inspiration to write The Hunger Games, proving that is hard to have an original idea these days. Battle Royale is a good and provocative movie, with some memorable sequences. The pace, though, is harmed by the multiplotting and the number of characters on screen. Sometimes, it's hard to sympathize with the background of the characters because there are just... too many. Despite that, I really recommend it, specially for the fans of The Hunger Games.
    image image image
  • AllStar87AllStar87 Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭
    The Fighter

10/10

This movie is flawless. I bought a couple months ago and rewatched it today.
    It's so good because of the acting, brilliant cinematography, and an all star cast.
    Mark Wahlberg{favorite actor} and Christian Bale steal the show. The Academy noticed how good it was and Christian Bale won as Best Supporting. The movie was based on a true story about a boxer and how his druggy brother almost ruined his career. I sure recommend this!
  • Cyber-LogicCyber-Logic Posts: 508 ✭✭
    Source Code and Sunshine. Loved both of them.
  • Sunshine is amazing. One of the best science-fiction movies of the decade, even though I'm not a huge fan of the final twist.
    image image image
    Source Code, words can't even describe how good it was.
  • LisaLisa Posts: 38
    Twister- 9/10

To this day I have not seen a tornado movie that sells me on the CGI like Twister. This movie, like Jurassic Park, will live on no matter what the time period.
    Oh my gosh! I absolutely love Twister. LOL, much better than the movie I watched last night. Daylight. I guess it was okay, but I'd give it a 5/10.

Photobucket
    I'm going to see Crazy, Stupid, Love in a few hours and Rise of the Planet of the Apes on Friday. Excited for both, should have reviews up soon.
    imageimageimage
    edited August 2011
    Film I recommend: Nemo Nobody
    It's really really interesting and weird and the kind of story that makes you think for days after watching it :D At least it was like that for me. It can be a bit confusing if you don't pay attention at all times though
    Photobucket
    Crazy, Stupid, Love - 8.1/10. Really a great, unpredictable, and sad/sweet romantic comedy. The twists were hilarious, the relationships were funny and overall it was a well-shot, brilliantly acted and wonderfully well-written film. As far as rom-coms go, probably one of the best I've ever seen. Really sweet. I recommend it.
    imageimageimage
  • RichardRichard Posts: 48,700 mod
    captain america- 8/10

very entertaining and a really good story but it was slow at parts.

• PumpkinjuicePumpkinjuice Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    True Grit - 3/4

An entertaining, fun and occasionally exciting film with strong characters. The weakness of the film is that it was mostly driven forward by incidents, for instance when
    SPOILER
    she suddenly met the (not so menacing) villain by the water and how he randomly appeared later, which again led to the snake biting her. Why didn't they check if he was dead in the first place?
    SPOILER END

And the middle dragged.
    Post edited by Pumpkinjuice on
    edited August 2011
    In True Grit, the riding in the woods and climbing up the tree part was pretty pointless I thought, which led to it dragging.

EDIT: I am not a huge fan of the Coen brothers, though this was pretty good and less odd than the others I've seen, ie The Big Lebowsky, No Country for Old Men and A Serious Man (all of which I disliked) and an acceptable rom-com called Intolerable Cruelty. Oh, and I liked Miller's Crossing, which is probably my favourite Coen film.
  • Martin1Martin1 Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Captain America - 8/10
    Cowboys and Aliens - 5.5/10

Seeing Planet of the Apes Tuesday :)
    edited August 2011
    Well that stuff probably comes from the source material, but the production is astounding; the acting, Deakin's cinematography, art direction, costumes, sound editing, etc, etc
    I won't deny that. As I said, it's good, but the way the plot unfolded needed some changes as well as some Mark Day editing here and there B-)
    Crazy Heart - 8.5/10
    Good movie, good music. Really liked it.
    Photobucket
  • OSDude94OSDude94 Posts: 85
    Rise of the Planet of the Apes - 8/10! A thrilling, action-packed, visually-satisfying film with well-balanced emotion and sufficient acting throughout. :)
    Irlkg was Cowboys and Aliens really that bad?
  • Martin1Martin1 Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, it's fun a movie. Grading for films doesn't work like that you see.

10 = legenday
    9 = must see or you'll regret it
    8 = great
    7 = very good
    6 = above average
    5 = average, this is the rating silly movies that are fun (like a cowboys and aliens) would get
    4 = couldve been better
    3 = bad
    2 = never going to recommend this...
    1 = MY EYES!!!!!!
    0 = every time i pass dvd/blu ray on a shelf, i pick it up and stomp it to pieces until it bleeds
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2011
    Atrocious (2010, Fernando Barreda Luna) - 3/5

After being a hit on Slamdance's Festival in the beggining of the year, Atrocious is making an international career and already found distributors in some countries. Despite using a familiar kind of filmmaking style and language, it is a really well-executed movie that proves, once more, that less is more in horror movies. There are some interesting moments and the acting is surprisinly good. It's a shame that the final twist or revelation sounds totally unconvincing - what is odd, because they try to give the story a real and natural side. It would be much better if they left some unanswered questions. Still, is a really well made and intense movie that I recommend for fans of The Blair Witch Project, Paranormal Activity and REC.
    image image image
  • Festax0333Festax0333 Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crazy Stupid Love-the underdog of all the movies ive seen thus far this summer and....it cracked my top 4 films of the summer.

Great Cast, Great Mood and a real suprise for me when i saw it!
    Carell is great in this one IMO, he gives one of his best performances.

9.5/10
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Festax0333Festax0333 Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do I even need to ask how Ryan Gosling is? Oscar worthy again?
    great as usual
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
    Do I even need to ask how Ryan Gosling is? Oscar worthy again?
    The greatest revelation of this film is how great he is in a comedic role. The cast is terrific, top notch performances by all of them, even the kids.

imageimageimage
  • RichardRichard Posts: 48,700 mod
    No, it's fun a movie. Grading for films doesn't work like that you see.

10 = legenday
    9 = must see or you'll regret it
    8 = great
    7 = very good
    6 = above average
    5 = average, this is the rating silly movies that are fun (like a cowboys and aliens) would get
    4 = couldve been better
    3 = bad
    2 = never going to recommend this...
    1 = MY EYES!!!!!!
    0 = every time i pass dvd/blu ray on a shelf, i pick it up and stomp it to pieces until it bleeds
    I like this!
  • MayFruitMayFruit Posts: 333
    Django (1966) 6/10

This movie was so popular at that time, there are rumored to be over 100 unofficial sequels. I watched it as a child (I probably shouldn't due to some graphic violence) and I remember loving it. So I decided to watch it again as an adult and unfortunately the 'magic' has gone, but I can still understand why it has influenced many spaghetti western films to this day. So, if you just want to watch some entertaining movie without thinking too much, then you should rent this one.

Accio Alan Rickman

Wah-wah! Here comes the sun http://www.miedy.com/ (my personal website)
  • NumberEightNumberEight Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Django (1966) 6/10

This movie was so popular at that time, there are rumored to be over 100 unofficial sequels. I watched it as a child (I probably shouldn't due to some graphic violence) and I remember loving it. So I decided to watch it again as an adult and unfortunately the 'magic' has gone, but I can still understand why it has influenced many spaghetti western films to this day. So, if you just want to watch some entertaining movie without thinking too much, then you should rent this one.
    Expect the unoriginal and vastly overrated Tarantino to replicate many things in it with his new movie.
    Pottermore username: DustBlade76

So Crucify the ego, before it's far too late, to leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical. And you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable.
    edited August 2011
    Super 8 (2011) 7,5/10
    sci-fi

It's fun, nice story, good acting, and fortunately, a bit unexpected.
    The first part of the film made me think of some sort of military-government conspiracy, and it leads you on... Until it hits you with the "it's an alien!" coin. It could've been much better if the alien was at least less... Hollywood-esque.
    Nothing over the top, but it's fun to watch.
    Photobucket
  • AshAsh Posts: 6,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't Let Him In (2011) - 7.5/10.
    Has Super 8 opened in the U.K./Brazil yet? I remember Henrick and Cadmus having not seen it yet.
    imageimageimage
  • Aaron.. This WEEK! I can't wait :D :D :D
    image image image
    Has Super 8 opened in the U.K./Brazil yet? I remember Henrick and Cadmus having not seen it yet.
    If it opened here, it must've opened in the UK for sure
    Photobucket
    Yay! I recently saw it again in theaters and since I've seen tons of other films this summer, it was kind of overshadowed, not as glorified as I thought it was back in June. :| But on a first time viewing I'm sure it'll still be great.
    imageimageimage
  • Really, bud? :(
    Is it worth it watching in IMAX?
    image image image
    Yeah, I guess it would be.
    imageimageimage
  • Haylee12Haylee12 Posts: 294
    I saw super 8 too and I liked it. But I have to agree with Aaron other movies do overshadow it.
    imageimage
  • brian6brian6 Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭
    I'm renting Source Code tomorrow. Can someone describe the plot? The trailer really confusesd me. And is it good?