Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

Things that occur to you after having read HP

Cathy2315Cathy2315 Posts: 122 ✭✭✭
In PS/SS it is said in Ch 2 that Harry would be attending Stonewall High and, in a way, he did. No, he didn't attend a school with that specific name, but couldn't Hogwarts be described as a place having stone walls that were high?

Comments

• PhineasPhineas Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What if Stonewall High actually is Hogwarts, and he was actually going to attend Hogwarts all along?
    imageimage
  • Cathy2315Cathy2315 Posts: 122 ✭✭✭
    I would think it would have been Jo's disguised way of saying it.

I have a few more, but I want to see your contributions.

Jo named the Four Marauders Sirius, Peter, James, and Remus John. I got to thinking about the latter three's names and the act of transfiguration.

2Six days later, Jesus took with Him Peter and James and John, and brought them up on a high mountain by themselves. And He was transfigured before them; 3and His garments became radiant and exceedingly white, as no launderer on earth can whiten them.… (Mark 9:2-3)

The final chapter in HP 1 is The Man With Two Faces in which Harry, during his confrontation, finds out that Prof Quirrell has Voldemort's face on the back of his head. So, it's literally a man with two faces. However, I was wondering if this could also apply figuratively to what the reader would come to know about Dumbledore.

In the 3rd chapter from the beginning of DH, The Dursleys Departing, the family Harry doesn't love goes away from him. In the 3rd chapter from the end of DH, The Forest Again, the family Harry loves comes back to him.

This isn't something that occurred to me, but I still found it interesting nonetheless. Recently I had been listening to the Ted Sherman lectures on the HP books on youtube. In his final DH lecture, he brought up a symbolic connection between Harry pursuing the silver doe and finding the silver cross-shaped sword of Gryffindor and the legend of St. Eustace:

According to legend,[2] prior to his conversion to Christianity, Eustace was a Roman general named Placidus, who served the emperor Trajan. While hunting a stag in Tivoli near Rome, Placidus saw a vision of a crucifix lodged between the stag's antlers.[3] He was immediately converted, had himself and his family baptized, and changed his name to Eustace (Greek: Ευστάθιος (Eustáthios), "well stable", or Ευστάχιος (Eustáchios), "fruitful/rich grain").

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Eustace