Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

Official Fantastic Beasts Thread - TEASER TRAILER RELEASED

silverarrowgriffinsilverarrowgriffin Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2015 in General
Warner Bros. has announced a new Harry Potter-related film series based in the world of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

The Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them movie will be an “original story and will mark Rowling’s screenwriting debut. It is planned as the first picture in a new film series.”

What’s more, the series will focus on the author of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, Newt Scamander.

“Although it will be set in the worldwide community of witches and wizards where I was so happy for seventeen years, ‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them’ is neither a prequel nor a sequel to the Harry Potter series, but an extension of the wizarding world,” said Rowling in a statement. “The laws and customs of the hidden magical society will be familiar to anyone who has read the Harry Potter books or seen the films, but Newt’s story will start in New York, seventy years before Harry’s gets underway.”

It all started when Warner Bros. came to me with the suggestion of turning ‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them’ into a film. I thought it was a fun idea, but the idea of seeing Newt Scamander, the supposed author of ‘Fantastic Beasts,’ realized by another writer was difficult. Having lived for so long in my fictional universe, I feel very protective of it and I already knew a lot about Newt. As hard-core Harry Potter fans will know, I liked him so much that I even married his grandson, Rolf, to one of my favourite characters from the Harry Potter series, Luna Lovegood.

As I considered Warners’ proposal, an idea took shape that I couldn’t dislodge. That is how I ended up pitching my own idea for a film to Warner Bros.

Although it will be set in the worldwide community of witches and wizards where I was so happy for seventeen years, ‘Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them’ is neither a prequel nor a sequel to the Harry Potter series, but an extension of the wizarding world. The laws and customs of the hidden magical society will be familiar to anyone who has read the Harry Potter books or seen the films, but Newt’s story will start in New York, seventy years before Harry’s gets underway.

I particularly want to thank Kevin Tsujihara of Warner Bros. for his support in this project, which would not have happened without him. I always said that I would only revisit the wizarding world if I had an idea that I was really excited about and this is it.”

“We are incredibly honored that Jo has chosen to partner with Warner Bros. on this exciting new exploration of the world of wizardry which has been tremendously successful across all of our businesses,” said Tsujihara. “She is an extraordinary writer, who ignited a reading revolution around the world, which then became an unprecedented film phenomenon. We know that audiences will be as excited as we are to see what her brilliant and boundless imagination conjures up for us.”

Developing… more soon.
imageimage
imageimage
Post edited by Kranen on

Comments

• BrianBrian Posts: 171 mod
    SWEET BABY JESUS I AM GOINEEEEEE
  • RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 7,872 mod

From her official Facebook page:

Warner Bros. announced on 12th September 2013 that J.K. Rowling would be making her screenwriting debut with 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them', the first in a new film series which is part of their expanded creative partnership with J.K. Rowling. The films will be inspired by Harry Potter’s Hogwarts textbook of the same name, and will feature the book’s fictitious author, Newt Scamander.

“It all started when Warner Bros. came to me with the suggestion of turning 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' into a film. I thought it was a fun idea, but the idea of seeing Newt Scamander, the supposed author of 'Fantastic Beasts', realized by another writer was difficult. Having lived for so long in my fictional universe, I feel very protective of it and I already knew a lot about Newt. As hard-core Harry Potter fans will know, I liked him so much that I even married his grandson, Rolf, to one of my favourite characters from the Harry Potter series, Luna Lovegood.

As I considered Warners’ proposal, an idea took shape that I couldn’t dislodge. That is how I ended up pitching my own idea for a film to Warner Bros.

Although it will be set in the worldwide community of witches and wizards where I was so happy for seventeen years, 'Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them' is neither a prequel nor a sequel to the Harry Potter series, but an extension of the wizarding world. The laws and customs of the hidden magical society will be familiar to anyone who has read the Harry Potter books or seen the films, but Newt’s story will start in New York, seventy years before Harry’s gets underway.

I particularly want to thank Kevin Tsujihara of Warner Bros. for his support in this project, which would not have happened without him. I always said that I would only revisit the wizarding world if I had an idea that I was really excited about and this is it.”
  • silverarrowgriffinsilverarrowgriffin Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought it was a joke by Andrew Sims and Hypable but I checked her site and it was there. Guys I am crying so fucking hard right now. I was like finishing the Cuckoo's Calling
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • FangwidgeonFangwidgeon Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry, but...I just can't get excited about this. It feels like they're flogging a dead horse. What's next, a Quidditch Through the Ages movie? The way studios just milk a popular franchise annoys the hell out of me. I feel the same way about Star Wars, it's not that I'm sick of sequels, but it's that the story ended fine and adding more just feels forced. If the last story ended more openly I might be excited but it was wrapped up so well. Yes, I'm sure I'll eat my words come trailer time, but right now I just think it's a quick cash grab.
  • nick_hansennick_hansen Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this real life?

imageimage
    imageimage
  • Lord StaffordLord Stafford Posts: 27,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the way that I haven't been for two years, I am excited. A return to the wizarding world is something I relish, and I'm happy to hear that Jo pitched the idea.

Lord Stafford.
  • FangwidgeonFangwidgeon Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
    Ok, I guess I'll reserve my judgement until the trailer, but for the love of god, don't let it be apart of the already movie-bloated 2015 :p
  • mattStrelowmattStrelow Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An original story written by Jo herself set on the wizarding world?! That's absolutely amazing! I'm so happy right now

• RichardRichard Posts: 48,700 mod
    Holy shit... I havent read that one.

And my heart like skipped a beat.. I thought remakes for a second I got super excited, you have no idea. This is good too :)
  • Wolf_PotterWolf_Potter Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭✭
    These are really great news!! :D OMG I'm really excited! Jo adapting her own
    book into a new film series? Fuck yes. I'm glad she's more involved now.
  • mattStrelowmattStrelow Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a feeling this will be a sort of Indiana Jones-like adventure movie, but with Harry Potter magic

• seamusseamus Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Oh my Lord!!!!!!!
    (although I think The Tales of Beedle the Bard would be much more easier to transform into film series but God, this is amazing!)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • And suddenly all of the users come back to HPF hahaha lol
    image image image
    We'll never be forgiven for what we did.
    Trust me, I'm a Film Grad ;)
    They'll pull this off. With the author of the book pitching the idea and penning the screenplay, how can they not? Jo is a wonderful writer, that we already know, and as WB have always shown, they are once again showing their dedication to the world that Jo created.

Lord Stafford.
  • UniversHarryPotter.cUniversHarryPotter.c Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭✭
    Guys this make me so happy !! image

Newt Scamander stories , return to Wizarding world
    70 years before Harry come to Hogwarts : 1920's (newt is born in 1897) and in NEW YORK !!!

Now who could play Newt ??

imageimage
  • KranenKranen Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wtf? I have mixed feelings.

That is all.
    I'm reading comments all over the web, and most feel the same as us. There are some (who are delusional) who think this is merely an attempt at making even more money from the Harry Potter name, but do Jo and WB look like they need it? Firstly, they don't. Secondly, while it is related, this isn't even Harry Potter.

Lord Stafford.
    my friend suggested Colin Firth
    imageimage
    imageimage
    Too old in 1920's newt have 30 years old

James D'Arcy ??
    imageimage
    Age isn't the be all and end all.

Lord Stafford.
  • JasonJason Posts: 7,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woah... And she's the screenwriter. So excited right now!!!!
    Evanna is so fun !!
    https://twitter.com/Evy_Lynch
    imageimage
    Matt Smith?

Lord Stafford.
    hahaha I love her XD
    imageimage
    imageimage
    Eddie Redmayne?

Lord Stafford.
    Fans are so disturbing : they could believe an article publish april 1st saying WB will film an 8th movie but doubt when info is publish on official fb page

imageimage
  • PhoenixGoblet86PhoenixGoblet86 Posts: 52 ✭✭
    Evanna's so cute. I love her.
  • SwedishSkinJerSwedishSkinJer Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭
    My choices are either Tom Hiddleston or James McAvoy.
  • JordyJordy Posts: 613 ✭✭✭✭
    WOA YEAH!
    I hope for Yates producing and Cuaron producing and directing \:D/
    They've got to bring Cuarón back. I'm sure if Jo were to ask, he'd say yes.

Lord Stafford.
  • My reaction to this whole project is:

DRACO DORMIENS NUNQUAM TITILLANDUS.

Enough said.
    image image image
    We'll never be forgiven for what we did.
    Trust me, I'm a Film Grad ;)
  • yonythemoonyyonythemoony Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jordy said:

WOA YEAH!
    I hope for Yates producing and Cuaron producing and directing \:D/

And Desplat doing the score!
    Yes!

Lord Stafford.
  • Accio_LogAccio_Log Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭
    Interesting...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    The return of all, indeed. Welcome back, those who have returned!

Lord Stafford.
    And of course Stuart Craig at design even we just lost Stephenie !!!
    imageimage
  • KranenKranen Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jo really likes announcing things at the most random times with no warning, doesn't she? I love it.

And of course Stuart Craig at design even we just lost Stephenie !!!

That's a must and a given, I think, with Jo's relationship with him.

Lord Stafford.
    i think will be learnt more from Newt via Pottermore quickly ^^
    imageimage
  • Samch92Samch92 Posts: 6,398 mod
    So does that mean they going to close the Studio tour and re-use it for filming?
    No because the story will be in NEW YORK
    imageimage
  • Mr108jmlMr108jml Posts: 610 ✭✭✭
    This is awesome \:D/. So do you guys like the title "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" or you wish WB/Jo come up with something different to name the new series?
  • alexdridhpalexdridhp Posts: 627 ✭✭✭
    i want emma back <3
  • darthorcruxdarthorcrux Posts: 584 ✭✭✭✭
    OKAY I'M BACK NOW

HI HPF
    Doesn't mean they have to film in New York lol :P
    edited September 2013
    I bet the sale of that book is going up right now since everyone wants to know what it is about.