Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

Official The Cuckoo's Calling Thread - New Book Written by JK Rowling

RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 7,872 mod
edited July 2013 in Books
Harry Potter and The Casual Vacancy author J.K. Rowling has revealed that she ghost-wrote a crime novel titled The Cuckoo’s Calling.

Rowling operated under the pseudonym Robert Galbraith and published The Cuckoo’s Calling in April of this year.

The Telegraph received confirmation from the author as well as a statement. “I had hoped to keep this secret a little longer because being Robert Galbraith has been such a liberating experience,” said Rowling. “It has been wonderful to publish without hype or expectation and pure pleasure to get feedback under a different name.”

The author’s biography is as hilarious as this news that’s been kept secret from us for several months. It reads, “After several years with the Royal Military Police, Robert Galbraith was attached to the SIB (Special Investigative Branch), the plain-clothes branch of the RMP. He left the military in 2003 and has been working since then in the civilian security industry. The idea for Cormoran Strike grew directly out of his own experiences and those of his military friends who returned to the civilian world. ‘Robert Galbraith’ is a pseudonym.”

The book is available right now on Amazon and currently has a nearly 5-star rating.

Read’s the book’s official synopsis found on Amazon:

A brilliant debut mystery in a classic vein: Detective Cormoran Strike investigates a supermodel’s suicide.

After losing his leg to a land mine in Afghanistan, Cormoran Strike is barely scraping by as a private investigator. Strike is down to one client, and creditors are calling. He has also just broken up with his longtime girlfriend and is living in his office.

Then John Bristow walks through his door with an amazing story: His sister, thelegendary supermodel Lula Landry, known to her friends as the Cuckoo, famously fell to her death a few months earlier. The police ruled it a suicide, but John refuses to believe that. The case plunges Strike into the world of multimillionaire beauties, rock-star boyfriends, and desperate designers, and it introduces him to every variety of pleasure, enticement, seduction, and delusion known to man.

You may think you know detectives, but you’ve never met one quite like Strike. You may think you know about the wealthy and famous, but you’ve never seen them under an investigation like this.

Cover:

Developing… more soon…
Post edited by RyGuy on

Comments

• SoulxxBondSoulxxBond Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭✭
    Damn I was just about to post this! The book sounds pretty good!
  • RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 7,872 mod
    Move outta the way Casual Vacancy - this ones right up my alley... *Seeks to buy asap*
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    The reviews on Good Reads are pretty good.
    image image image
    We'll never be forgiven for what we did.
    Trust me, I'm a Film Grad ;)
    "Combines a complex and compelling sleuth and an equally well-formed and unlikely assistant with a baffling crime...A stellar debut." (Publishers Weekly, starred review)

"Instantly absorbing, featuring a detective facing crumbling circumstances with resolve instead of clichéd self-destruction and a lovable sidekick with contagious enthusiasm for detection. Strike bears little resemblance to Jackson Brodie, but Kate Atkinson's fans will appreciate his reliance on deduction and observation along with Galbraith's skilled storytelling." (Booklist)

"Plenty of twists...Totally engrossing...Galbraith's take on contemporary celebrity obsession makes for a grand beach read." (Library Journal, starred review (Mystery Debut of the Month))

"THE CUCKOO'S CALLING reminds me why I fell in love with crime fiction in the first place." (Val McDermid, bestselling author of The Vanishing Point)

"Cormoran Strike is an amazing creation and I can't wait for his next outing. Strike is so instantly compelling that it's hard to believe this is a debut novel. I hope there are plenty more Cormoran Strike adventures to come. A beautifully written debut novel introducing one of the most unique and compelling detectives I've come across in years." (Mark Billingham, author of The Demands)

"Robert Galbraith's debut is as hardbitten and hard-driving as its battered hero. CUCKOO'S CALLING scales the glittering heights of society even as it plumbs the dark depths of the human heart. A riveting read from an author to watch." (Mike Cooper, Shamus Award-winning author of Clawback)

"The private eye novel is not dead. It was merely waiting for Robert Galbraith to give it a firm squeeze, goosing it back to bold, new life. Hardboiled crime fans are going to go cuckoo for this one. I haven't had this much with a detective novel in years." (Duane Swierczynski, Shamus and Anthony Award-winning author of FUN & GAMES)

"A remarkably assured debut. Robert Galbraith's portrayal of celebrity-obsessed modern London is at once beautifully written and utterly engrossing, his characters so real you could eat dinner with them, his ever-coiling plot guaranteed to keep you up past your bedtime. I couldn't put it down." (Owen Laukkanen, author of The Professionals)
    I'm downloading this for my Kindle right as I type. This is so exciting and unexpected. This is the kind of story I would be into as well. I love crime dramas with plot that deals with something layered at least from what some of the reviews have said.

I find this line of an Amazon review the most hilarious though, "This book is so well written that I suspect that some years down the road we will hear the author's name is a pseudonym of some famous writer."

lololol :P

• JasonJason Posts: 7,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What!?
    Just ordered it from Amazon :P
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    If only she released this one under her name instead of The Casual Vacancy LOL
    image image image
    We'll never be forgiven for what we did.
    Trust me, I'm a Film Grad ;)
  • UniversHarryPotter.cUniversHarryPotter.c Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭✭
    Now i'm just waiting a french translation !!^^
    imageimage
  • yonythemoonyyonythemoony Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jo, you sneaky troll.
  • XWingardium_LeviosaXXWingardium_LeviosaX Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭
    Now THIS sounds like a good book.
  • RichardRichard Posts: 48,700 mod
    Gonna buy this :-bd
  • KranenKranen Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like I'm off to the book shop!
    edited July 2013

I'm dowloading the preview page of amazon and give them here after
    imageimage
  • SoulxxBondSoulxxBond Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭✭
    Saw this on Twitter:

Etymology says that Robert is "famous", Galbraith is "stranger"
    I thought this book seemed so familiar. And now I remember that my local bookshop has it on their 'must read' shelf. I've even picked it up once but put it back. I am really ashamed of myself for putting it back now!
    imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com
    imageimage
    I am absolutely loving this so far. :) I'm up to part five :P
  • aaronaaron Posts: 20,950 mod
    :O wtf
    imageimageimage
  • PeculiarPlimpyPeculiarPlimpy Posts: 35 ✭✭
    It's instances like this that remind you that she isn't in it for the money. She genuinely loves writing quality books. :x
    edited July 2013
    141 pages in...and I love love love this

but time for a break :3 haha
    Post edited by RyGuy on
    Got my copy!

I'm half way through Chapter 3 so far and I love it! So far it is making up for The Casual Vacancy! :)
  • Darth LedgerDarth Ledger Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You gotta be shitting me??

JK... This is the type of thing that makes me want to birth your grandchildren. Ill be buying immediately.
    "If you make yourself more than just a man... If you devote yourself to an ideal... You become something else entirely- A Legend."

Oh and now seems to be the right time to post this:

• Cathy97Cathy97 Posts: 239 ✭✭✭
    Which one do you think will be made in to a movie first?
    Probably this one since they're turning The Casual Vacancy into a mini-series show.
    Kranen said:

Got my copy!

I'm half way through Chapter 3 so far and I love it! So far it is making up for The Casual Vacancy! :)

I love this cover way more than the U.S. one.
    Richard said:

Kranen said:

Got my copy!

I love this cover way more than the U.S. one.
    Yeah the US cover looks like some YA nonsense. If it wasnt by Jo I wouldnt have picked it up or given it a second chance sadly.

This is really good though. How are you feeling about it so far @Kranen
    Do you think they'll reprint the book with her name on the cover?
    Jason said:

Now that it's public I'm sure of it :3
  • XWingardium_LeviosaXXWingardium_LeviosaX Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭
    I want to buy this ASAP, but if they reprint it with her name on it I think I'd rather wait. IDK.
    RyGuy said:

How are you feeling about it so far @Kranen

I am absolutely loving it. As I said, it is seriously making up for my disappointment in The Casual Vacancy.

And I am so glad that we didn't have to wait for this one like we did with Vacancy! :)
    This has me thinking- what if there is another novel out there she wrote that we dont know about? Its obvious she loves to write and doesnt do it for he money.
  • yonythemoonyyonythemoony Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At least we know why she was keeping writing the "pen and paper is my priority at the moment" part.

At least we know why she was keeping writing the "pen and paper is my priority at the moment" part.

lolololol

• nick_hansennick_hansen Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got my copy just then! I can't believe this, I love her for doing this.

I think if they decide to republish it with her name on the front I'll buy another copy just for the sake of it.
    Jason said:

In france i hope they will publish it with "Robert Galbraith aka JK Rowling" on it

imageimage
  • TubbyToastTubbyToast Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love that cover.

This is so great I was clapping my hands when I was reading about it. It seemed so obvious she was doing this and like Ryan said, the first thing that popped into my mind is where the other books are.

I love that cover.

This is so great I was clapping my hands when I was reading about it. It seemed so obvious she was doing this and like Ryan said, the first thing that popped into my mind is where the other books are.

I just had a thought...what if she's thrown out some HP fan fiction before...just to mess with us...

• Lord StaffordLord Stafford Posts: 27,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll be picking this up as soon as I can. Jo, you genius. :)

Lord Stafford.
  • TubbyToastTubbyToast Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RyGuy said:

I love that cover.

I just had a thought...what if she's thrown out some HP fan fiction before...just to mess with us...

Hahahahahahaha that would be hilarious!
    Knowing Jo, she probably has! :P

Lord Stafford.

Knowing Jo, she probably has! :P

Lord Stafford.

Knowing her she probably checks on sites like us...and if she ever does I just want it to be said that The Cuckoo's Calling is the best book I've read in a long time. I'm staying up because I can't put this down.
    Then, once again, Jo Rowling has captured our minds like only she can.

Lord Stafford.
  • phoenix1phoenix1 Posts: 2,293 mod
    It didn't take long to go to #1 at Amazon...a big jump from 98,424 :-bd I've downloaded it to my tablet and will buy the book version when it comes out in paperback. Haven't had a chance to start reading it yet, but I'm hoping by this afternoon I can settle down for a good read.
    photo niffler3b.jpg
    Wow! This is awesome! :D

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • chesterchester Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why didn't she release it as Rowling?
    imageimageimage
    I've read some comments saying she reveal she wrote it only to grown up the sells and make more money thanks to potterheads

i think this is the top best of stupid comment concerning JK Rowling I've ever read !!!
    imageimage