Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

Christopher Nolan's "Interstellar" Thread

Darth LedgerDarth Ledger Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2014 in General
With his Batman trilogy now complete, Christopher Nolan has found his next project.
our editor recommends
Christopher Nolan: Superman Is More Challenging Than Batman
Christopher Nolan on 'Extreme Places' in the Making of 'The Dark Knight Rises'
'Dark Knight Rises' Director Christopher Nolan's Shocking Admission: No Cell Phone, Email Address
Morph of Every Actor to Play Batman Reveals Ultimate Bruce Wayne

According to multiple sources, Nolan has set his sights on a sci-fi project titled Interstellar, which he is in talks to direct and produce. The project involves time travel and alternate dimensions in a story that sees a group of explorers travel through a wormhole. The script is based on scientific theories developed by a Kip Thorne, a theoretical physicist, a gravitational physicist and astrophysicist at Caltech.

Sources say that dealmaking has been underway for months and is described as very complex.

Interstellar is set up at Paramount but would be made by both Paramount and Warner Bros., where Nolan and his Syncopy banner are based and for which he has made the three Batman movies as well as Insomnia and Inception. (The Prestige was made for Disney.)

The script for Interstellar was written by Jonathan Nolan, Chris' brother, who worked on The Dark Knight Rises and The Dark Knight, as well as Prestige. Jonathan Nolan (known as Jonah) also has a "story by" credit for Memento, Chris Nolan’s breakout movie.

Steven Spielberg was previously attached to direct Interstellar and produce with Lynda Obst. It is unclear if Spielberg will remain involved, especially considering the director's planned next movie, Robopocalypse, was delayed indefinitely on Wednesday.

Regardless of how a deal shakes out, Interstellar has all the elements that seem to attract Nolan. Apart from his brother’s involvement, there is the complex and multi-layered nature of the story.

Nolan is repped by WME and Bloom Hergott.
"If you make yourself more than just a man... If you devote yourself to an ideal... You become something else entirely- A Legend."

Post edited by Samch92 on

Comments

• Darth LedgerDarth Ledger Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Credit to @RyGuy for finding it first!!!!!!!!
    "If you make yourself more than just a man... If you devote yourself to an ideal... You become something else entirely- A Legend."

For those wondering, Kip Thorne from CalTech, from whom Johnathon Nolan based his screenplay, has been the name attached to the theory of time travel due to wormholes, using black hole cosmology.

• nick_hansennick_hansen Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds interesting and something that Nolan would do, with it being complex and all. I'm excited.
    I have been wanting him to do scientific time travel.... I'm overjoyed right now!!!!

• RichardRichard Posts: 48,700 mod
    Anything Nolan makes, I will see. Im fuckin stoked!!!
  • JordyJordy Posts: 613 ✭✭✭✭
    Very interesting/nice. Hope he doesn't make it too inceptionish.
  • Martin1Martin1 Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I hope stays away from inception like connections. I don't want it to be "oh jump in this wormhole and oh look another wormhole and OH LOOK ANOTHER" kinda like the "oh heres a dream and lets just OH LOOK ANOTHER DREAM IN A DREAM IN A DREAM."

So yeah hopefully it stays away from something like that. Still excited :D
  • HessHess Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only hope he adds some emotion to the film this time.
    Martin1 said:

Yeah I hope stays away from inception like connections. I don't want it to be "oh jump in this wormhole and oh look another wormhole and OH LOOK ANOTHER" kinda like the "oh heres a dream and lets just OH LOOK ANOTHER DREAM IN A DREAM IN A DREAM."

So yeah hopefully it stays away from something like that. Still excited :D

That's why I loved inception

• aaronaaron Posts: 20,950 mod
    Can't wait to see how Nolan handles the greatest canvas in contemporary cinema: outer space. Add in a little mind-boggling Nolan flair and his gritty vision (hopefully he finds a fantastic new editor and DP), and I'm really, really intrigued.
    imageimageimage
    November 7th, 2014
    imageimageimage
  • RichardRichard Posts: 48,700 mod
    I will be at the cinemas that day.
    So will I, it's going to be incredible.

Time travel + Nolan = Mind fuck
    My most anticipated

I wonder which one will be more anticipated. Hobbit 3 or interstellar?
  • Lord StaffordLord Stafford Posts: 27,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends on how well The Desolation of Smaug does.

Lord Stafford.
    True. Who do you think will get the leading part staff?
    As usual, he'll go for someone he knows.

Lord Stafford.

As usual, he'll go for someone he knows.

Lord Stafford.

I'm not sure, Leo also was a new actor. And Inception and this are definetely comparable.
    Well, that was me saying without hearing any descriptions for characters. Once I do hear, names will pop up everywhere in my mind, and hopefully new. Nolan's casting has been good, if not slightly predictable.

Lord Stafford.
  • dobby_freak19dobby_freak19 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭✭
    I would definitely run to the theather to se a nolan's sci fi! The simple idea is just thrilling!
    Hope you like it!
    I hope he brings everybody back.

Leo, Tom Hardy, Michael Caine...

Mainly I hope Hans Zimmer is back.

I'm pretty sure out of those, they'll all return.

Lord Stafford.
    Joseph Gordon Levitt as well
    Hope you like it!
  • HessHess Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm tired of watching the same people in his movies, he should pick some new actors.
    Leo is not going to return. I do hope he brings back Caine and JGL though, but I'd love to see some new faces.
    imageimageimage
  • yonythemoonyyonythemoony Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since that the film will be original and different from recent Nolan's films, I do believe that he needs to work with other actors.
    aaron said:

Leo is not going to return. I do hope he brings back Caine and JGL though, but I'd love to see some new faces.

Out of the lot, I believe he would be the one to not return.

Lord Stafford.
  • NickNick Posts: 20,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since his breakout role in 1993′s Dazed and Confused, Matthew McConaughey has been a Hollywood star, but the 43-year-old actor has been on an especially impressive run over the last two years. In 2011, McConaughey won praise for performances in three critically-acclaimed films: The Lincoln Lawyer, Bernie, and Killer Joe. Then, in 2012, McConaughey continued his streak with two well-received indie films (The Paperboy and Mud) and the box office hit Magic Mike.

Now, as one of Hollywood’s most in-demand actors, McConaughey will have the opportunity to take his career to yet another level in Christopher Nolan’s Interstellar.

According to Deadline, Nolan has already offered McConaughey the lead role in the science fiction film. As we reported when Nolan was first circling the project, Interstellar focuses on a group of explorers who travel through a wormhole and is based on the scientific theories of Caltech astrophysicist Kip Thorne. The film, which was written by Jonathan Nolan, was originally set up for Steven Spielberg. Since taking over the project, Nolan has worked with his brother on the script to incorporate some of his own original ideas.

McConaughey recently wrapped up both Dallas Buyers Club (for which he lost a reported 40 lbs) and The Wolf of Wall Street, but seems to have an opening in his schedule. There’s no word yet on whether he has accepted the part, but given Nolan’s track record, it would be hard to pass up.
    There was a time when it was very easy to dismiss McConaughey as an actor, particularly in the early to mid-2000s when he mostly starred in romantic comedies. “Oh, Matthew McConaughey? Yeah – the guy who women love because he takes his shirt off in all his movies.”

In hindsight, however, it’s apparent that McConaughey has always been a strong actor when he’s chosen the right roles. If Interstellar offers the same kind of storytelling that we’ve come to expect from Christopher Nolan, then it could be the perfect opportunity for McConaughey to parlay his recent success in smaller character-driven features into an intelligent and action-packed blockbuster.

What do you think of Nolan’s choice for lead actor? Let us know in the comments.

Interstellar is scheduled to be released in theaters November 7th, 2014.
    I haven't really seen any of his movie so I don't know what to say. But Nolan knows what he is doing when it comes to casting.
  • IsaiahIsaiah Posts: 3,342 mod
    I don't know, I can only see Matthew in rom com movies, i will have to wait and see.
    LoyalWeasley18 - POTTERMORE EARLY MEMBER -CRIMSONICE199-
    Photobucket

Photobucket
    edited March 2013
    It's not like he did lots of them. I remember him from Ed TV and How to Lose A Guy In Ten Days, but in that time, he did dark films like Frailty.
  • Sir_CadoganSir_Cadogan Posts: 89 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully not. McConaughey is a typecast actor for me - it will be hard to picture him in something other than "They get younger, I stay the same age." However, this film still sounds awesome and I can't wait!

edited April 2013
    lol
    BURBANK, CA, – Paramount Pictures announced today that Channing Tatum has been cast as a young graduate student in Christopher Nolan’s “Insterstellar.” He will be starring alongside Matthew McConaughey, who will play the lead role of Dr. Cooper, an acclaimed Astrophysicist.

Christopher Nolan stated, “I am thrilled to have the opportunity to work with Channing Tatum. I believe he is a raising star in cinema, and I think he’s a perfect addition to our cast.”

Nolan will direct the film from a screenplay he wrote with Jonathan Nolan. Nolan will also produce the film with his longtime producing partner, Emma Thomas, and Lynda Obst.

“Insterstellar” is slated for release on November 7, 2014. The film will be distributed domestically by Paramount Pictures, a subsidiary of Viacom, and internationally by Warner Bros. Pictures, a Warner Bros.

Good joke.
    lol I forgot april´s fool! In my country today is just a regular day.lol
    Hope you like it!
    Predicitions for trailers:

Teaser - The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
    Trailer 1 - Transcendence/The Amazing Spiderman 2
    Trailer 2 - ?
  • silverarrowgriffinsilverarrowgriffin Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great news!

Lord Stafford.
    sweet!!!
    Anne Hathaway confirmed to star in the film:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=102682
    sweet!!!!!!!!!!!! love hatheway she,s purrrrfect
  • chesterchester Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Make Anne's character sassy... Nothing better than a sassy Anne!
    imageimageimage
    ive never seen her sassy I like her snarky much better.
  • chesterchester Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    She was a bit sassy as Catwoman. But most of the time she was just snarky and plain awesome.
    imageimageimage
    yes snarky hatheway is the best!!! :)
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

omg

now we need Hardy and JGL pls
    imageimageimage