Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

DVD/Blu-ray cover of Deathly Hallows (Part 1+ Part 2) - Director's Cut Fan Made Edition

Comments

• darthorcruxdarthorcrux Posts: 584 ✭✭✭✭

Your right @darthorcrux....maybe I can put the opening scene with Snape at fisrt sunshine Hogwarts in another position in the film....

Well, I'm not really "right" as there isn't exactly one single way to go about it. Again, just offering suggestions and input from someone who absolutely loves these, er, this... er, these... the Deathly Hallows film. I'm sure whatever you do will be really good and it will be interesting to hopefully see the final product.
  • IsaiahIsaiah Posts: 3,342 mod
    How about muting the soundtrack and putting in another. Since Harry is near a beach, maybe you could find a track with waves and seagulls to convey its a beach.
    LoyalWeasley18 - POTTERMORE EARLY MEMBER -CRIMSONICE199-
    Photobucket

Photobucket
    And by all means get input from other people who are passionate about it. My suggestion probably wouldn't go over very well with a lot of fans because while I'm a Harry Potter fan in general, I'm more about the filmmaking aspects because these are, after all, films, and not books. You'll find me praising the filmmaking aspects over what they include in the film or cut or this or that because a movie should first and foremost satisfy filmmaking aspects because that's what it is. If you were to ask some random person if it would be a good idea to remove some of that opening fluff from Part 2, they would probably yell at you, but that's what you have to deal with when both trying to please the fans as well as doing what's best for the flow and atmosphere of the movie.
  • HogwartSiteHogwartSite Posts: 630 ✭✭✭
    @darthorcrux

I'm grateful to you for your advice, no problem. I will create different versions and I will propose, the best will be final, with no regrets.

Regarding the audio. I pull the six audio tracks from Blu-ray movies. There is a track about score and one about the only voice. In the voices track, the score is not totally absent, but it is in the background and if I do not put some powerful you will feel the same.
    I have wondered from time to time what it would be like if that Snape/Hogwarts scene fell in somewhere during that montage of Voldemort's regime taking over everything, like when they sabotage the train and whatnot. There's a lot of various "here's what's going on elsewhere" scenes right there that maybe it could fall into-- certainly not in its current state, and that would also require some soundtrack tinkering. Just a thought. Basically that Part 2 opening, it doesn't really have a dire chronological placement.

I have wondered from time to time what it would be like if that Snape/Hogwarts scene fell in somewhere during that montage of Voldemort's regime taking over everything, like when they sabotage the train and whatnot. There's a lot of various "here's what's going on elsewhere" scenes right there that maybe it could fall into-- certainly not in its current state, and that would also require some soundtrack tinkering. Just a thought. Basically that Part 2 opening, it doesn't really have a dire chronological placement.

That sequence may well be there between the vision of Harry and Gregorovitch of the scene between Hermione and Scabior, where we learn that Snape is headmaster at Hogwarts

That would be killer. Just saying, if you feel uncomfortable about completely removing it, it may very well have its time and place elsewhere in the film.
    I was thinking that. But the audio for Snape becoming Headmaster is short.
    Photobucket

Photobucket
  • JasonJason Posts: 7,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

My two cents, and I realize this may be a very unpopular vote, but the opening of Part 2 at Hogwarts I feel is merely there for the sole purpose of opening Part 2. The scene doesn't really show us anything we need to know; it's nice to have that Snape scene and it looks great, but it doesn't really serve that big of a purpose story-wise. In fact, when you watch it straight through, I think the impact of the truth about Snape is a bit more surprising, even though WE know he's "good," and showing us Hogwarts there I think lessens the impact of when Harry and co. finally arrive there.

What I'm trying to say is cut it. It's really unnecessary when considering it as one movie, and it kind of disrupts the pacing from the events at the end of Part 1. I think a better edit would be to go from Voldemort shooting the spell into the sky, and then somehow back to Harry at Dobby's grave. The single film itself is already going to be really long, especially with some of the deleted scenes added back in, so really you'd have a bit of stuff to cut that IMO is pretty much fluff and serves no point. Showing Snape and Hogwarts there doesn't establish anything or provide any worthwhile information.

At least toy around with it and see what you could do without it.

ANOTHER idea, and this is purely an artistic one, is that you could even do without the full Voldemort scene. It's pretty dark seeing Deadbledore and Voldemort hijacking his tomb, but what if you treated it like one of Harry's visions instead of a full scene. Imagine only using bits of it-- take out that TERRIBLE CG shot of the tomb being opened (the one that looks like blocks of unfinished textures), and maybe just have a shot of Voldemort striking the tomb open-- you know that shot where it cracks-- and then cut from that to Harry looking in the mirror. This way we know that Voldemort has broken into the tomb, and then Harry says "he already has it" to Ollivander which tells the audience that Voldemort did in fact get the wand out of the tomb.

The trick here is to make it feel like one film straight through, and the way that Part 1 ends and Part 2 begins makes that difficult unless I think you actually cut some stuff out. Again I realize that this may be debatable for some, but when you're editing a film you have to consider pacing and information above showing fans what fans want to see. Just some food for thought.

That's a good idea. The music from the elder wand scene makes it sound like the end of a film. It doesn't really work when you go from that to the beach scene/Snape scene.

Cut it that way and it won't feel like a cliffhanger, but part of the whole film.
    Right. That building crescendo from Desplat gives it that "end of part 1" feel-- as it should-- but this wouldn't be the same circumstance.
    In my opinion, i would would try it and see how it would work.
    Photobucket

Photobucket

In my opinion, i would would try it and see how it would work.

I'll do it in this way

Im gonna give it a try also and see.
    Photobucket

Photobucket
    edited January 2013
    @Hogwartsite I know this is your thread but I wanted to pass this theory and see how it goes with your vision. I gave it a try and then I had another idea, in the first one I cut back to Harry at Dobbys grave but in the second one I cut back to it in Shell Cottage. I had to mute the audio for the point after the cracking of the tomb.

Photobucket

Photobucket

@Hogwartsite I know this is your thread but I wanted to pass this theory and see how it goes with your vision. I gave it a try and then I had another idea, in the first one I cut back to Harry at Dobbys grave but in the second one I cut back to it in Shell Cottage. I had to mute the audio for the point after the cracking of the tomb.

Do not worry. However, if you do not create something perfect with the audio you can not understand all .. wait for my version, but already this something we can understand the yours
    Got what you said about the audio, i just didnt know what to put there.
    Photobucket

Photobucket
  • RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 7,872 mod
    @HogwartSite I don't mean to be Captain Bringdown, but I wanted to see how you were going to deliver the final product to the fans? The only thing I really have to say is be careful in making people pay for this if you are, or how they can download this. If WB finds out I don't think they will be too kind.
    RyGuy said:

@HogwartSite I don't mean to be Captain Bringdown, but I wanted to see how you were going to deliver the final product to the fans? The only thing I really have to say is be careful in making people pay for this if you are, or how they can download this. If WB finds out I don't think they will be too kind.

Unfortunately... I know....
  • RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 7,872 mod

RyGuy said:

Unfortunately... I know....
    Your picture didnt show up :/ I was just curious if you had thought that bit out. The last thing I want to see is a great fan invested in a project they love and care about slammed into a cell for merely doing what WB should have done in the first place with the added scenes and environments and such. It's ridiculous but something thats so common in this century. :(
    edited January 2013
    Although the track "Dragon's Flight" is spectacular, I wanted to experiment with something else in the same sequence

This is not about my edition of the Deathly Hallows!!!!!!

I always thought that this part of the film hasn't a cinematic atmosphere, do you?
    The color of the walls really dampened this sot.
    Photobucket

Photobucket
    edited January 2013
    at this link:

www.mediafire.com/?17mbx4q3m8b33r0

all of you can download a new clip video that show my my edits about photography of part 1. I could not put the video on youtube, because WB deleted it from my account! It's over 7 minutes..... Let me know what you think
  • The Best WizardThe Best Wizard Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭

at this link:

www.mediafire.com/?17mbx4q3m8b33r0

all of you can download a new clip video that show my my edits about photography of part 1. I could not put the video on youtube, because WB deleted it from my account! It's over 7 minutes..... Let me know what you think

Very good work, HogwartSite! I was one of the persons who said that the color was one of the problems of DH1/DH2.
  • Samch92Samch92 Posts: 6,398 mod
    Love better the color you choose!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    edited January 2013
    The color is amazing, more cinematic. Can't wait to see how you handle the dark scenes in DH2
    Photobucket

Photobucket
    Thank you

The color is amazing, more cinematic. Can't wait to see how you handle the dark scenes in DH2

The work on the Deathly Hallows Part 2, is largely already done.

• nick_hansennick_hansen Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The track you used instead of Dragon Flight worked really well, I really enjoyed it. Can't wait to see some of your other work you are working on :)

The track you used instead of Dragon Flight worked really well, I really enjoyed it. Can't wait to see some of your other work you are working on :)

think the track I used, comes from "Clash of the Titans" score, which is awesome than the entire movie.

I wanna see the whole thing now.
    Photobucket

Photobucket

Me too...but good/perfect work will come with at right time! Even if it takes years, I must do this!
    Dont say years! Lawd not years.
    Photobucket

Photobucket

Me too...but good/perfect work will come with at right time! Even if it takes years, I must do this!
    Really?!?! What's your estimation to be done?
    @Samch92 I hope to complete it for the summer!

Right now I'm working on this sequence! Original or Edited? Which do you prefer? The original version is very colorful. I have always like it! The modified version is more cinematic...probably

• SoulxxBondSoulxxBond Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭✭
    I like the original
    Same the original :)
    I'm rendering the chapters of the Deathly Hallows Part 1 Blu-ray 15 to 22: escape from the gringott - Ron's return!

In the coming days I will send you (I hope to put it on youtube without problems) a video with the new changes!
    If YouTube doesn't work then use like last time mediafire
    @Hogwartsite I like the edited, for some reason it makes me feel like im there. Cant wait to see how you deal with the Gringotts cart ride, every time I watch it, its so dark.
    Photobucket

Photobucket
  • aaronaaron Posts: 20,950 mod
    If you don't mind me asking, what program are you using to edit the color grading of the film?
    imageimageimage
    aaron said:

If you don't mind me asking, what program are you using to edit the color grading of the film?

I'm using Adobe After Effects CS6, it's perfect to do this thing!

Here is the link to download my new video clip. This time I loaded the file into a format that is heavier, but improves the quality: https://sizablesend.com/irhvwc/HP-DEATHLY-HALLOWS.Title100.chapter15.m2ts.mp4#cid=11

Let me know what you think, of all my changes. Thanks
    Nice I liked! I ask myself why they didn't just do it this way! why to dark!
    Samch92 said:

Nice I liked! I ask myself why they didn't just do it this way! why to dark!

This is true, but there are some parts where I obscured some sequence like:

Question...how do you decide this will look better lighter or darker? What's your process?
    edited January 2013
    @Samch92 Sounds silly...but I experiment with dark and light version of a scene. The goal is to give a new but right atmosphere. However, Do you like the dark version of this sequence?
    Well, side by side I prefer the lighter version.
    The brightness is not always synonymous of naturalness. You mast see that scene on TV and in a dark room! Is different...trust me