Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

The Casual Vacancy (mini serie) Official Thread - Casting updated

silverarrowgriffinsilverarrowgriffin Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2014 in General
imageimage
imageimage
Post edited by UniversHarryPotter.c on

Comments

• nick_hansennick_hansen Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not completed the book yet but I think it's a good move to adapt it as a television series. From what I have read it just seems like it can work really well as a series and not a film.

Very good move if you ask me.
  • silverarrowgriffinsilverarrowgriffin Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    True. I knew they'd try to adapt it and it would work better if it were a TV series instead of a film
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • SoulxxBondSoulxxBond Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭✭
    And I still need to read this book... but this news isn't surprising... knew it was coming sooner or later.
  • chesterchester Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMFG!!!!!!!!!!! YES!!!!! It's such a good book and with the right actors and screenwriter it can be a masterpiece.
    imageimageimage
    edited December 2012
    Some mild spoilers about the book

I wonder how they will do the drugs, rape, domestic violence,...
    This will definitely not be a PG rated series. :P
    imageimageimage
  • UniversHarryPotter.cUniversHarryPotter.c Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭✭
    Hope french channel will have the brilliant idea to bought copyright from BBC *fingers crossed*
    imageimage
  • Martin1Martin1 Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see how this works as a movie or television. Way too many characters and point of views. It will be interesting to see the outcome.
  • Darth LedgerDarth Ledger Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also think it serves better as a TV series.
    "If you make yourself more than just a man... If you devote yourself to an ideal... You become something else entirely- A Legend."

• aaronaaron Posts: 20,950 mod
    An excess of characters and view points works well for television. It's called subplotting! :P
    imageimageimage
    Martin1 said:

I don't see how this works as a movie or television. Way too many characters and point of views. It will be interesting to see the outcome.

There are like 6 or 7 main characters, all the others are more supporting characters.
    imageimageimage
    I hope some of HP actors will be on

imageimage
  • IsaiahIsaiah Posts: 3,342 mod
    Im glad JK is doing it this way, a movie would be a disaster, a miniseries sounds about right.
    LoyalWeasley18 - POTTERMORE EARLY MEMBER -CRIMSONICE199-
    Photobucket

Photobucket
  • TubbyToastTubbyToast Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yay, BBC!
  • Lord StaffordLord Stafford Posts: 27,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably the best option.

Lord Stafford.
    Of course it is!
    Oh, I agree.

Lord Stafford.
  • SoulxxBondSoulxxBond Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, a nice television series, or mini-series would definitely be better suited for this instead of a movie.
    Certainly.

Lord Stafford.
    Fantastic news! I can't wait to see how this project turns out. :O
    imageimageimage
  • dobby_freak19dobby_freak19 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    How good is this book? I want to read it!!

Is it any good? I´m aware is not HP, but I love JKR, her writing style matured a lot in DH and Im eager to see the outcome in this genre
    Hope you like it!
    I think it is a very good book. It looks like there are lots of main characters (when you finish the book you'll realize not all of them were main characters) and the beginning can be slow. But it still is a great book. It also isn't about politics, the election is a plot line that connect's the characters in some ways. It's a book about characters and their drama.
    imageimageimage
  • dobby_freak19dobby_freak19 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭✭
    I love character-driven stories!
    I´llbuy it as soon as I can
    Hope you like it!
  • XWingardium_LeviosaXXWingardium_LeviosaX Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭
    I'm actually excited about this, and I haven't finished reading the book :O
  • RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 7,872 mod
    My reactions to this, in order...

"Eh, Whynot?"

• KranenKranen Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll watch it.

I gave up on the book though.
    Me too, but that's more because I have to read 12 Dutch books before the end of January. I'll pick it up after (: it was sort of good.
    I've got another copy, if you want it? One with Jo's signature, and one without, of course. :)

Lord Stafford.
    edited December 2012
    Kranen said:

I'll watch it.

I gave up on the book though.

Let it rest for a few weeks/months and give it another try. It would be such a shame to never finish the book, it's a good book.
    imageimageimage
    Casting will begin in the spring.
    imageimageimage
  • mattStrelowmattStrelow Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    I'll watch it, but honestly, I'd rather just have it as a book. I can't see it working so well on screen.

Aequus156 said:

I FREAKED OUT when I heard this. I loved the book and I am on the edge of my seat waiting and biting my nails to find out who the cast is and if the screenwriter will work with Jo and if the director will be any good unlike David Yates. I just can't wait! =))

Aequus156 said:

and if the director will be any good unlike David Yates

Aequus156 said:

any good unlike David Yates

:|
    imageimageimage
    Aequus156 said:

aaron said:

Aequus156 said:

I FREAKED OUT when I heard this. I loved the book and I am on the edge of my seat waiting and biting my nails to find out who the cast is and if the screenwriter will work with Jo and if the director will be any good unlike David Yates. I just can't wait! =))

Aequus156 said:

and if the director will be any good unlike David Yates

Aequus156 said:

any good unlike David Yates

:|
    Sorry!!!! Don't really like him, but if you like him its cool :)

Yates is the best director of the series, bar none. His adaptations of the final four films are the most artful and mature of the Potter films, save for Cuaron's Azkaban, which is also masterful. Why don't you like him?

imageimageimage
  • yonythemoonyyonythemoony Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    Untrue to the books? The guy adapted the last book into two movies. Any other director would have decided to make a single movie and cut half of the book (like Newell did). And OOTP was 45 minutes longer, and WB made Yates to cut it. The guy took ideas from the books (Snape wanting to quit as a double agent, the breakout from Azkaban, the Death Eaters destroying a bridge, Hermione obliviating her parents, the set up to the Battle of Hogwarts, and the destruction of the cup in the Chamber Of Secrets).Yates did with Harry Potter what Nolan did with Batman, he made the most realistic and emotional movies from the series, he brought back the english tone of the books which it was missing because of Columbus's generic american fantasy style that pigeonholed the franchise as films for children.

Columbus himself praised Yates by making the films dark like he would wanted to. And Rowling's happy for what he did for the franchise (which it was practically, doing the most difficult half of the franchise, over the last 7 years).

Boring and monotonous? Bitch, please.
  • seamusseamus Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    ^^^ =D>
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Agree to disagree?

Lord Stafford.
    Warner Bros. will serve as the worldwide TV distributor (excluding the U.K.) of J.K. Rowling’s upcoming television adaptation for the BBC of “The Casual Vacancy,” her best-selling first novel aimed at adult audiences. This miniseries begins production in 2014.

The relationship will be managed in London by Neil Blair of The Blair Partnership, Rowling’s literary agency, and Josh Berger, President & Managing Director, Warner Bros. UK, Ireland, and Spain, who will serve as Warner Bros.' chief business contact for all J.K. Rowling initiatives going forward.
    imageimageimage
    they filmed the openning scene 4 day ago

http://www.southwestbusiness.co.uk/news/21082014110140-gloucestershire-businesses-given-makeover-as-crews-film-for-jk-rowlings-the-casual-vacancy/

and if you interested i have uploade part of cast i know HERE
    imageimage