Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

"Star Wars Sequel Trilogy" Official Thread

Comments

• darthorcruxdarthorcrux Posts: 584 ✭✭✭✭
    I could see them taking a look at Harry Potter directors like Yates or Cuaron even (who has had experience with fantasy and now sci-fi) because Harry Potter shares a lot in common with Star Wars and they were highly successful, or Pixar alumni like Brad Bird or Andrew Stanton, both of which also now have live-action experience as well as experience in animation.

Beyond that I have no idea.
  • MattCatMattCat Posts: 372 ✭✭✭
    Lucas had some skill as a storyteller, but he was a poor director and an awful writer. Yates, on the other hand, is a talented storyteller and director, and I think that's the key. He has a good understanding of tone (Half-Blood Prince and Part I, for example, are two very different films) and how to accomplish it. He also gets how to balance grandiose action with character intimacy, which is something that isn't easily achieved and requires a pretty adept hand to pull off: a lot of films generally have too much of one.. Another thing, and one of his biggest strengths, is his understanding of visuals and how to use them to convey the story: framing, angles, movements, colours etc.

What's also interesting about Yates is the movement of his films. I think they flow incredibly well, he's similar to Scorcese in this regard, in that his films don't feel like acts, rather more like a big symphony that transitions through various moods and actions very fluently. He's one of the few Directors I've seen who can actually create a film like this.
  • MattCatMattCat Posts: 372 ✭✭✭
    As it stands, I think Yates has proven to be a lot more competent at directing action sequences than a lot of other big blockbuster directors (*hint* Nolan *hint *). His action scenes are well framed and clear, they're well paced – very swift and high octane – and, especially with the Battle of Hogwarts, they can look downright spectacular. Again, he's got a fantastic eye for visuals, just check the opening shot of Courtyard Apocalypse or the shield destruction. They're hauntingly gorgeous.
  • NickNick Posts: 20,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    whats wrong with nolan.s action sequences?
  • IsaiahIsaiah Posts: 3,342 mod

I do think they'll hire either someone surprising, or someone nobody's ever heard of. I don't think they're going to go with any director that anyone has been guessing or even hoping for.

Thank you. Yates, Spielberg, and the rest had there chance to shine; Its time for some new undiscovered talent. Im tired of hearing the same directors names over and over again. Lucas said "new generation".

LoyalWeasley18 - POTTERMORE EARLY MEMBER -CRIMSONICE199-
    Photobucket

Photobucket
    These are directors that are rumored to be considered.

– Steven Spielberg, Neill Blomkamp, Alfonso Cuaron, Matthew Vaughn, Darren Aronofsky and Joss Whedon.
    Photobucket

Photobucket
    Nick said:

whats wrong with nolan.s action sequences?

They're badly:

-staged
    -shot
    -edited
    What? Batman vs Bane in the sewers was amazingly edited.
    Photobucket

Photobucket

What? Batman vs Bane in the sewers was amazingly edited.

Of course there are going to be instances where it's sound. But Nolan's action is dogshit compared to other action directors.
    Everyone has their own style. Who are directors that you considered better?
    Photobucket

Photobucket
  • Darth LedgerDarth Ledger Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zach Snyder is my favorite Action Sequencer.... lol
    "If you make yourself more than just a man... If you devote yourself to an ideal... You become something else entirely- A Legend."

Everyone has their own style. Who are directors that you considered better?

It doesn't matter what directors I name off, I'm just going by Nolan's awful action direction in every single film of his. He's good but he doesn't have an eye for action sequences. He doesn't really get concise editing and flow with them, the shots all over the place, they're very uneven and worst of all, they're boring. If you're fine with them, that's okay, I'm not here to judge anyone's taste with action. I just know that growing up since the early 80's and seeing the pantheon of legitimately great action films from legitimately great action directors, I can safely believe that Nolan doesn't even compare.

Zach Snyder is my favorite Action Sequencer.... lol

I completely agree with the "lol" part of your post!
    okay. But when you refer to the "concise editing" you mean the last 20 to 30 minutes of TDKR?
    Photobucket

Photobucket
    I mean several of Nolan's action scenes from Batman Begins-- which had awfully staged and shot fight scenes, from The Dark Knight where its centerpiece action sequence is one of the sloppiest action scenes I've seen in recent memory, from Inception which just had incredibly yawn-inducing action that lacked engagement, and so on. The Dark Knight Rises had slightly better shot and edited action.
    To me TDK was all over the place, sometimes you forgot that action was ensuing.
    Photobucket

Photobucket
    I'm talking about the scene in the city with all the vehicles. It's terrible. I still can't believe people think it's the best action scene ever because Nolan flips a truck over.
    The scene had amazing cinematography but i wont consider it the best action scene. I dont think TDK even had that many action scenes. TDKR had more action than TDK.
    Photobucket

Photobucket
    Yeah. TDK was pretty light concerning action. It was more of a thriller, which I dug.
    I still like it but the action is non existent to me.
    Photobucket

Photobucket
  • PumpkinjuicePumpkinjuice Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm talking about the scene in the city with all the vehicles. It's terrible.

Yep. I always skip that part.

I dont think TDK even had that many action scenes.

However what was there was piss poor, particularly the chopped up fight near the end and the truck flip scene.
    The scenes around the SWAT team and the ferries and Joker and his dogs are so bad that Nolan makes a very strong case for himself as to why he should never direct action.

If someone like Steven Spielberg or James Cameron, who can direct action in their sleep, did the stuff in the city in TDKR, it would have been amazing. The groundwork was there, but the Nolans can't write or direct action, plain and simple. It was one of those action scenes that felt huge and important, but was a snoozefest because it was just vehicles chasing each other. There were little to no other elements about it. Bane had already been comically taken out, and you're left with Talia who JUST NOW revealed herself to be a villain-- so there were no strong protagonist/antagonist aspects about it.

In Spielberg or Cameron or Lucas films, their action is highly engaging, well shot, and just supremely entertaining. In Nolan's films, the action feels tacked on and poorly conceived, but unfortunately a large number of today's audiences don't really understand action direction and they just think that shots of big vehicles driving around makes an action scene great.
    And yes, I mentioned James Cameron. Before you simpletons decide to start bashing Avatar, perhaps take a good, long look at the action sequence at the end of Avatar, and the action in Cameron's earlier films. Because I'm talking about staging and shooting action and that alone-- make what you will of Avatar's story but it has nothing to do with this specific subject.
  • Lord StaffordLord Stafford Posts: 27,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You make a strong point, darth. He has a fine sense of spectacle, and knows how to direct action sequences. Star Wars has always had good visuals, and good action; it helps that James Cameron is a great when it comes to both. So, I believe he would be a good choice, as far as directing Star Wars 2015 goes. Though, we all know that won't happen, since his sole focus is Avatar 2 and 3, with the first possibly coming out in 2015.

Lord Stafford.
  • RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 7,872 mod

And yes, I mentioned James Cameron. Before you simpletons decide to start bashing Avatar, perhaps take a good, long look at the action sequence at the end of Avatar, and the action in Cameron's earlier films. Because I'm talking about staging and shooting action and that alone-- make what you will of Avatar's story but it has nothing to do with this specific subject.

Yep, that'd be a six-second clip of some kind of creature in the jungle. What does that have to do with his action directing abilities? :p

You make a strong point, darth. He has a fine sense of spectacle, and knows how to direct action sequences. Star Wars has always had good visuals, and good action; it helps that James Cameron is a great when it comes to both. So, I believe he would be a good choice, as far as directing Star Wars 2015 goes. Though, we all know that won't happen, since his sole focus is Avatar 2 and 3, with the first possibly coming out in 2015.

Lord Stafford.

Oh no I wasn't saying Cameron would ever direct Star Wars, I'm merely talking about his and other directors' talents in the action department.
    Still, I think he'd be a good choice for director.

Lord Stafford.
    Sure, as long as he doesn't write the script.
    He probably would, since he always does. But, I'm pretty sure he won't be directing the movie, since I'm just talking about how I think he would be a good choice.

Lord Stafford.
    Changed the title of the thread for all the sequels.
    Photobucket

Photobucket
  • nick_hansennick_hansen Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be honest, I wouldn't mind if Darth Vader returned somehow.

• SoulxxBondSoulxxBond Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭✭
    Mark Hamill rumored to star!

"Yavin 4 and the rebel base return to the Star Wars plot in the forthcoming Episode VII, announced in October by the Walt Disney Co, in which Skywalker comes back to the planet to build a Jedi Knight academy. However, fans said that Disney will likely film those scenes in a studio rather than return to Tikal."

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/729809/star-wars-vii-rumor-luke-returns-to-yavin-4/
    I really wish we had the Old Republic storyline but this Is fine I guess :P
    "If you make yourself more than just a man... If you devote yourself to an ideal... You become something else entirely- A Legend."

• PhineasPhineas Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mark Hamill rumored to star!

"Yavin 4 and the rebel base return to the Star Wars plot in the forthcoming Episode VII, announced in October by the Walt Disney Co, in which Skywalker comes back to the planet to build a Jedi Knight academy. However, fans said that Disney will likely film those scenes in a studio rather than return to Tikal."

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/729809/star-wars-vii-rumor-luke-returns-to-yavin-4/

Please CHRIST yes.
    imageimage
  • It already had a resolution, so I don't quite get how or why they're continuing it. It sounds stupid, but you never know.
    Loki said:

heres to hopingto see the first trailer for episode VII with the hobbit: there and back again THAT WOULD BE THE MOST EPIC COMBONATION EVER

I'll pass. I'd rather not have to watch Hobbit 3 with shit-stained underwear the entire time. It would smell and be very uncomfortable.
  • JasonJason Posts: 7,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/174551-drew-struzan-approached-for-star-wars-episode-vii

"Oh my god, I’m trying to be retired!" Struzan laughs. "You know, I spent 35 years painting 'Star Wars'. I painted 'Star Wars' before most of you were born! But I guess there is always a chance. There’s no intention. But I would love to have a day off every now and again, and I have to work a weekend and all through the night. If the opportunity arises, it will be a real temptation. But it’s going to have to be a real temptation to get me away from my wife and my little grandkids and my family. Away from the green trees and the blue skies for a change instead of just locked in the studio. But, you know, never say never. All things are possible."
    Bring him back! This man was the go-to guy!

Lord Stafford.
    JJ Abrams!!!!!

Yes!

Lord Stafford.
    HOLY FUCK THIS ALSO MEANS MICHAEL GIACCHINO WILL SURELY SCORE IT

THE COSMOS HAS SPOKEN MOTHER FUCKERS
  • yonythemoonyyonythemoony Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes!
  • HessHess Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, now I'm not interested...
  • NickNick Posts: 20,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    blehhh.
  • chesterchester Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Star Trek AND Star Wars for JJ Abrams? Really don't know about that. He's a good director but those 2 are quite familiar series with a lot of simularities.
    imageimageimage
  • SoulxxBondSoulxxBond Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Well apparently Ben Affleck was also in contention to direct...

Frankly between Abrams and Affleck, Abrams is definitely the better choice.

In my opinion.
  • nick_hansennick_hansen Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow I can't wait for the space sequences, he definitely knows how to make a good space sequence.

I like this choice :)
  • aaronaaron Posts: 20,950 mod
    :O
    imageimageimage