Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

"Star Wars Sequel Trilogy" Official Thread

Comments

• yonythemoonyyonythemoony Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-deal-george-lucas-will-384947

For all the whiners.
  • IsaiahIsaiah Posts: 3,342 mod
    Godd for George Lucas. At least the money is going towards something useful.
    LoyalWeasley18 - POTTERMORE EARLY MEMBER -CRIMSONICE199-
    Photobucket

Photobucket
    Thank you to whoever changed the thread title.
    Photobucket

Photobucket
  • MattCatMattCat Posts: 372 ✭✭✭
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/new-star-wars-movies-director-384731

15 Directors Who Could Direct VII: Pretty typical list, really.

Abrams would be better suited to Star Wars than he is to Star Trek (big on action, short on depth), lots of superhero film directors, Nolan's placement is quite baffling though (and yet, typical). Yates gets a mention, though I'd rather he spend his efforts making films of those promising ideas he's talked about.
  • aaronaaron Posts: 20,950 mod
    I'm down for Alfonso Cuaron, Duncan Jones or Brad Bird. A Spielberg film would potentially be great too.
    imageimageimage
    I would choose Brad Bird, especially because Giacchino would be perfect to score a Star Wars film.
  • Darth LedgerDarth Ledger Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care who does it as long as the movie is amazing.

Great plot, acting, twists, lightsaber battles.... Cinematography
    "If you make yourself more than just a man... If you devote yourself to an ideal... You become something else entirely- A Legend."

Hans Zimmer for the score
    "If you make yourself more than just a man... If you devote yourself to an ideal... You become something else entirely- A Legend."

Amen bro.

Photobucket

Photobucket
  • darthorcruxdarthorcrux Posts: 584 ✭✭✭✭

The fastest way to get me to not care about the film this side of Uwe Boll hired as director. With other vastly superior composers out there like Michael Giacchino or Alexandre Desplat who actually have flavor and talent and don't normally hack their way through music-- and some of them having composed Williams-esque scores already-- hiring Hans Zimmer would be a fucking fatal clusterfuck right off the bat.

I'm not saying Zimmer is an awful composer. He's good at what he does, but for Star Wars? Are you shitting me? Do you even know what a Star Wars score is supposed to or should sound like? Come on. It really annoys me that Zimmer has become such a household name that nobody else fucking considers anyone else from the absolute plethora of fantastic film composers working today. If Zimmer got hired, chances are it would either:

a) sound nothing like Star Wars or
    b) he would write a few themes and get other, better musicians to fill out the rest of the score

So yeah, no thanks. Hans Zimmer is good but it doesn't mean he should score every fucking movie in existence just because he's did some "badass" abstract music for Christopher Nolan. Oh, I guess Christopher Nolan should direct the Star Wars sequels, because he's proven himself to be worthy of shooting the wide-shot action sequences that Star Wars is known for as well as the visual vibrancy that they need.
    lol
    Directors I would be okay with:
    Brad Bird (due to his experience with both phenomenal animated features and his first live action film being quite good and vibrant)
    Steven Spielberg (due to him being Steven Spielberg)

Composers I would be okay with:
    Michael Giacchino (John Carter, Super 8)
    Alexandre Desplat (Deathly Hallows Parts 1 and 2 which are borderline Williams quality particularly with the action)
    Hans Zimmer (ok I have absolutely no fucking framework here that would lead me to believe he would be good for SW)

Right, so, not many. I'm playing this one pretty close to the chest-- there are very few people I would trust with these movies and until I see something from someone else that tells me "hey this person would be good for Star Wars!" I'll stick to those safe bets.
    Er, by the way Ledger-- I had absolutely ZERO means to make it seem like I'm mad at you. I re-read my post-- and trust me-- it's out of debate excitement, totally not me trying to spawn a fight. I respect your opinion, I just disagree with it with the power of the shittiness of three Death Stars being in Episode VII.

I assure you that I meant no harm but it came across that way and I apologize. I'm just REALLY FUCKING EXCITED FOR THIS SHIT
    I wouldn't even trust Christopher Nolan with James Bond. Sure the movie would look good and it would be well acted with some good ideas, but it would also be utterly devoid of life with badly shot action sequences. I say let these people like Hans Zimmer and Nolan stick to what they're good at, and steer clear the fuck away from Star Wars.
    I will say that I think Michael Fassbender should play a badass Jedi mentor/tutor.

I will say that I think Michael Fassbender should play a badass Jedi mentor/tutor.

I absolutely fucking agree.

I really don't care if Zimmer does the score, I'm more concerned about the first thing I said about how I just want the film to be awesome. I LOVED and I repeat LOVED

Revenge of the Sith.

• RyGuyRyGuy Posts: 7,872 mod
    If John Williams ain't dead yet he could always make teh music.

George Lucas was quoted as saying this after the announcement, “It was originally a 12-part saga. The three most exciting stories were 7, 8 and 9. They had propulsive action, really interesting new worlds, new characters. I remember thinking, ‘I want to see these 3 movies.’”

...I find that really really interesting. Now I dont think people should jump and think AWHH GOD DISNEY BE DESTROYIN UP IN HURRR, Idk Im incredibly excited. New Characters, Fresh Elements, Luke, Leia, Han cameos? Who knows! Its too early to tell but thats the best bit, the speculation is the funnest bit. :)

Heres part of an article from cinema blend (link at bottom):
    The plan for episodes 7-9 was to follow Luke Skywalker in his ’30s and ’40s with someone else taking over the role from Mark Hamill who Pollock claims didn’t impress Lucas. For longtime fans disappointed with the current status of the Star Wars brand and film franchise, Pollack calls the prequel trilogy “dreadful” but has very positive things to say about the ideas behind the potential next two trilogies, stories he confidently believes Disney will use, claiming they represent one of the reasons Disney made the acquisition.

Sources of E! Online however, provide a different story, claiming that Disney will instead opt for an entirely original story for Star Wars Episode 7 and the following installments. They acknowledge that there are treatments in place and the despite the nine beloved Star Wars Expanded Universe novels written by author Timothy Zahn (most notably, the Thrawn trilogy which begins with Heir to the Empire) which technically qualify as canon according to the publishing department at Lucas Licensing in the ’90s, none of that will serve as the basis for the films going forward.

E!’s Leslie Gornstein reports that she’s heard directly from LucasFilm and other sources “close to the picture” that Star Wars Episode 7 will tell a story never before seen in the extended fiction. That of course, also applies to episodes 8 and 9 which were confirmed by Disney chairman Robert Iger on a conference call earlier today.

It’s no surprise that with the acquisition, Disney will plan out a full trilogy (at least) ahead of time, thus allowing them to get talent and a director locked for long-term deals from the outset, much like we’ve seen successfully implemented by Disney’s other recent $4 billion acquisition in Marvel Entertainment. With the acquisitions of LucasFilm and Marvel Studios, Disney currently has The Avengers 2, Ant-Man and Star Wars 7 all slated for 2015.

The press release about the announcement yesterday contained an official statement from George Lucas, who states that he aims to “pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers.” We’ll have to wait and see if that means we’re getting new stories to go along with it, or adaptations of elements from the Expanded Universe.

As for Fassbender...I think he could make an amazing Admiral Thrawn:

Anyway about it, he would be great in any part...heck even as 3P0 Protocol Droid and I would still be happy haha

It is indeedy an exciting time!
    Keep all of that shitty, fan-fiction Expanded Universe bullshit out of my Star Wars movies thanks. The second they start plucking crap from that, it's going to tell me they don't have enough fresh ideas to make an entirely new trilogy, and it's just going to cause book purists to bitch. Fresh ideas + not catering to pre-existing material = best possible outcome.
    I agree. It would be like Kloves and his invented Harmony scenes.
    haha that's awesome as shit RySir.

Keep all of that shitty, fan-fiction Expanded Universe bullshit out of my Star Wars movies thanks. The second they start plucking crap from that, it's going to tell me they don't have enough fresh ideas to make an entirely new trilogy, and it's just going to cause book purists to bitch. Fresh ideas + not catering to pre-existing material = best possible outcome.

If the story is good thats all that matters to me, I have never touched one of those books. In high school if I picked one of those up I would have been labeled a snerd, plus I honestly do judge a book by its cover and the cover art made me want to carve out my insides with a rusty spoon...lol I havent checked out the graphic novels either. I have seen a bit of the Clone Wars stuff and I thought it was okay. Its going to be interesting where it goes.

haha that's awesome as shit RySir.

I just bumped into it when reading up on some stuff and had to post it. :ar!
    Yeah. The more original it is, the better. What they need to do is use this opportunity to start a brand new slate-- make it chronologically after Episode VI (duh) but it doesn't necessarily have to continue that story. It can continue it from perhaps an ideological standpoint, but Episode VI resolved that storyline-- Empire is defeated, Palpatine is dead, Anakin is dead, etc. That story is done. Episode VII needs to start its own brand new thing, a brand new story that is riding the waves of the defeat of the Empire, but has nothing to do with that.
  • aaronaaron Posts: 20,950 mod
    RyGuy said:

imageimageimage
    The important thing for me is for Episode VII to craft a great Villain... It's what I love about Star Wars. I like feeling like I can be a Sith.

• Onset23Onset23 Posts: 448 ✭✭
    Thinking about how it may look i designed this Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This shows the opening disney logo featuring the coruscant planet forming the castle
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    @Onset23 This is amazing. You are too talented.
    Photobucket

Photobucket
  • RichardRichard Posts: 48,700 mod
    Onset youre awesome.
  • Wolf_PotterWolf_Potter Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭✭
    I saw this coming... Disney bought part
    of the studio years ago, that's the
    reason Disney's Hollywood Studios
    Orlando has this Star Wars section on
    it, with Mickey dressed like Luke and
    Minnie like Lea lol I mean, this didn't
    surprise me at all. Same will happen
    someday with Avatar, as Disney bought
    some rights of the studio in order to
    open the Avatar Experience at Disney's
    Animal Kingdom, but that's another story.
    Honestly and I know this seems obvious coming from me, but I think I would be okay with David Yates. For one, his experience on four Harry Potter movies certainly can't be a bad thing, particularly with him showing that he can stage good action sequences (the chase in Part 1 comes to mind, with its excellent framing, editing, and scoring), he has a ton of experience with heavy special effects, he can direct actors very very well-- and in this case, he wouldn't be able to "OH WAHHH CUT TOO MUCH OUT!!!" because he would be directing from an original screenplay and not an adaptation.

Hate on it all you want or complain about this or that, but the bit starting at 1:15 and on is seriously awesome. That's some of the best action directing I've seen in a couple of years.
  • RustyBonesRustyBones Posts: 470 ✭✭✭

I saw this coming... Disney bought part
    of the studio years ago, that's the
    reason Disney's Hollywood Studios
    Orlando has this Star Wars section on
    it, with Mickey dressed like Luke and
    Minnie like Lea lol I mean, this didn't
    surprise me at all. Same will happen
    someday with Avatar, as Disney bought
    some rights of the studio in order to
    open the Avatar Experience at Disney's
    Animal Kingdom, but that's another story.

Why would they do that with Avatar? That movie sucks.
    Yates has become the next Lucas, with all the bashing he has from the fans. Already with the rumours of him directing Fantastic Four and Doctor Who, people complained a lot.
  • Lord StaffordLord Stafford Posts: 27,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He was also rumoured for The Hobbit.

Lord Stafford.
  • NumberEightNumberEight Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MattCat said:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/new-star-wars-movies-director-384731

15 Directors Who Could Direct VII: Pretty typical list, really.

Abrams would be better suited to Star Wars than he is to Star Trek (big on action, short on depth), lots of superhero film directors, Nolan's placement is quite baffling though (and yet, typical). Yates gets a mention, though I'd rather he spend his efforts making films of those promising ideas he's talked about.

That lack of Neill Blomkamp is unfortunate. He is the most obvious choice as he made one of the best science fiction films in years. Not only is it loaded with CGI (Lucas likes that), it is actually commentary on humans as a whole when the unknown is not understood.
    Pottermore username: DustBlade76

So Crucify the ego, before it's far too late, to leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical. And you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable.

Yates has become the next Lucas, with all the bashing he has from the fans. Already with the rumours of him directing Fantastic Four and Doctor Who, people complained a lot.

The difference being that Yates is a really good director. It isn't his fault that people only judge Harry Potter based on what's in the movie as opposed to how well its handled. Most Harry Potter fans have no fucking idea how to criticize film, they just bitch about what isn't there.
    Not to mention critics loved his Harry Potter movies, particularly the last one. I don't think any critic or anyone in their right mind would consider the Potter films to be the perceived disasters that the prequels were-- they merely got bashed because of purist bullshit and nothing more.
    Anyway, I'm just making this suggestion based upon what I have seen Yates do-- IMO he's extremely good at balancing good performances/quirks with extravagant action and special effects. In his Potter movies, we got both sides of the coin-- good acting/cinematography and good action/special effects. Most of the time it seems to be one or the other. In the Star Wars prequels we got good cinematography/effects/action but bad writing and performances.

And Desplat's score for Parts 1 and 2 were very Star Wars-ish. A Yates/Desplat combo on Star Wars would work wonders IMO.
    I agree. The problem is that Star Wars is a established franchise, and Yates will be judged by how he'll continue that franchise.
    It wouldn't be a problem and here's why.

The originals: regardless of the popularity and classic status of the originals, they were far from well acted. They had better acting than the prequels, but the writing, acting, and even the cinematography in some cases is nothing to write home about. I think they were framed very well, especially IV and V, but it was still pretty standard fare.

The prequels: the acting and writing was very arguably worse than in the originals, and a fair share of people found the prequels to not only be disappointing, but childhood-tarnishing stuff. Personally, I don't agree with that, I think they were very fun and entertaining movies with brilliant spots here and there, but I cannot speak for the majority.

When you lay it all out and look at the actual filmmaking qualities of all six films, aside from the special effects, when it comes to the screenplays and performances-- they could have been way better. They're great movies because of the ideas and vision, not necessarily the execution in every regard. Therefore, I don't see how the next trilogy could possibly be handled any worse than the prequels were despite me being okay with them, and they could easily be better than the originals.

In the long run, there are plenty of directors that would do a good, if not better job than Lucas and even the director of Empire Strikes Back and definitely the director of Return of the Jedi, who did a piss fucking poor job with that film. In general, I don't think David Yates could possibly do any worse than the movies we've already gotten, especially I through III.
    In my opinion, Deathly Hallows Part 2 flatlines any of the Star Wars movies when it comes to general filmmaking. It was grand and emotional, but it also had subtlety and some artsy aspects. All six of the Star Wars movies, while filled with vision and awesome ideas and tell a traditional good versus evil story, there's nothing, again, aside from the effects and vision, that is particularly amazing about the filmmaking qualities.
    Give David Yates a good script to work off of, and I'm pretty sure he would do a great job-- as would many other directors. I'm just saying that his work on Harry Potter combined with Desplat's music gave me more of a Star Wars vibe than any other film in recent memory. That's what I'm going on here. I'm going by what I've personally seen.
  • PumpkinjuicePumpkinjuice Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is Yates working on now anyway?

What is Yates working on now anyway?

Probably something but he's keeping it pretty close to the chest-- I imagine with the success of Potter combined with the critical reception of the last movie a lot of studios are going to be jumping at him with offers. Hopefully Kathleen Kennedy will consider him.
    I would also be okay with a new, young-gun director with a great vision. Really, after the prequels it's hard to go anywhere but up. I welcome any kind of new, good, fresh vision for the series.
    edited November 2012
    Yates is like Del Toro, he's attached to a lot of proyects, but most of them are cancelled or delayed. He recently step out of Your Voice In My Head, which it was his big proyect with Emma.
  • PumpkinjuicePumpkinjuice Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt he would be interested, but hiring an interesting/promising director for these upcoming films is one of few things that could drag me to the cinema.
    Oh I'd be there day one, been a Star Wars fan as far back as I can remember, it's what got me into movies in the first place. Like I said there's no way they'll be worse than the prequels, and with a bit of luck they could even be better than the originals in some ways.
    Like Lucas said, Star Wars needs a new generation of filmmakers.
    I do think they'll hire either someone surprising, or someone nobody's ever heard of. I don't think they're going to go with any director that anyone has been guessing or even hoping for.