Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

The Official Evanna Lynch Thread

Comments

• yonythemoonyyonythemoony Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/Theatre-review-Houdini/story-19777892-detail/story.html#axzz2ea9FKxWz?3807903435&redirected=true
  • UniversHarryPotter.cUniversHarryPotter.c Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭✭
    imageimage
    www.thestage.co.uk/reviews/review.php/38897/houdini?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A TheStageReviews %28The Stage %2F Reviews%29

"Jamie Nichols, in the title role, perfectly portrays the pain and angst Harry’s success and demanding workload brings him and the strain it puts on his marriage to beautiful wife Bess, played by the enchanting Evanna Lynch, best known for playing Luna Lovegood in the Harry Potter films"
    Tweets from today's show:

@Evy_Lynch thank you for tonight!! It means so much:) You were fabulous! xxx pic.twitter.com/F8v2umHwBf

Thoroughly enjoyed #Houdini tonight at the Rep Theatre! Stunning performance by @Evy_Lynch of course :D

• jdnightjdnight Posts: 846 ✭✭✭
    @yonythemoony Thank you for all of this!
    tumblr_mhclas5CtM1s17dn4o6_250 tumblr_mmo2p90zRk1qhivs3o6_250 tumblr_mpxnqxqxDJ1sax5w8o2_250
    One highlight of the evening was the final scene where Harry reappears to Bess but when she runs to him he is not real.

The way that this scene is staged makes it very powerful, particularly when coupled with the music of Tord Brudevoll.

[...]

The one negative about the performance was it should have been performed in a larger venue to a full house.

Read more: http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/Theatre-review-Houdini/story-19777892-detail/story.html#ixzz2ee7fNwXK
    Follow us: @thisisstaffs on Twitter | thisisstaffordshire on Facebook
    This section stands out the most.
    tumblr_mhclas5CtM1s17dn4o6_250 tumblr_mmo2p90zRk1qhivs3o6_250 tumblr_mpxnqxqxDJ1sax5w8o2_250
    edited September 2013
    Post edited by UniversHarryPotter.c on

statigr.am/p/544995696101733883_245989268

Ah, thank you so much for posting this. Evanna is absolutely gorgeous! ♥
    tumblr_mt519rjlbG1r8p2j2o1_1280
    startawarwithme:
    So I met Evanna (Luna Lovegood, Harry Potter) tonight!
    edited September 2013
    Post edited by UniversHarryPotter.c on

"Client EVANNA LYNCH ( @Evy_Lynch) has begun performances as Bess Houdini in the world premiere of Houdini ( @HoudiniThePlay) on its UK Tour"

"@Evy_Lynch and she is fantastic!!
    1:20 p.m. Mon, Sep 16"
    Ah, thanks again @yonythemoony & @UniversHarryPotter.c ♥

Evanna is seriously cute. It should be illegal to be this cute.

I think this dark-haired wig looks better and better on her in every picture.

Yeah. And she looks like a young Marion Cotillard.
    so true now you said yony
    imageimage
    imageimage

Yeah. And she looks like a young Marion Cotillard.

Oh yeah, I guess I can see a hint of it now that you mention it.
    edited September 2013
    RTÉ Ten conducted an interview with Evanna not too far back, in promotion of Houdini. It only runs for a little less than three minutes. The video won't embed, so it can be watched here: http://vk.com/wall-19817309_1058
    XsGxGUwHK6c
    Wales!
    YmvqLlmtCn4
    Beautiful beach run in Wales! :) #sheep
    Source: msevylynch on Instagram
    www.independent.ie/entertainment/books-arts/irish-harry-potter-star-evanna-lynch-took-on-dublin-stage-role-for-her-parents-29606786.html
    edited September 2013
    @yonythemoony Thank you for this. To make the article easier to access, I made the link ''click-able'': http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/books-arts/irish-harry-potter-star-evanna-lynch-took-on-dublin-stage-role-for-her-parents-29606786.html

Selected quotes:
    “Theatre was always something that’s been in the back of my mind and my parents were really keen for me to do it; so the little girl in me just wants to make them happy,” she said.

“I’ve been to the Gaiety plenty of times, since I was five years of age, so it will be a bit strange to be up there, on the other side of things, actually on stage.

“But I’m looking forward to it and it’s definitely something I’d like to do more of.”

[...]

While her character largely acts as an assistant, Lynch performs a live vanishing act.

“I suppose I am drawn to magic,” she told this newspaper.

“I have done other things, but I love fantasy and things out of the ordinary.

“Bess is the assistant, she’s the glue that holds everything together behind the scenes, but I have to know all of the tricks as well, so I can tell when to pull the curtain and the timing.

“I don’t think my parents are aware or know [of the risk involved in this role]. I don’t tell them much about roles that are risky, usually until after the job is done.”

[...]

Lynch said she’s hoping some of her old ‘Harry Potter’ co-stars will see her in action.

“We all stay in touch because we’re all in the same boat – especially the supporting cast – and moving on to new projects, so we do support each other when we can.

“It’s like a school reunion… when we get back together.”
    edited September 2013
    Although Houdini looks like it has been doing exceptionally well so far (something I initially did not expect), here's a more negative review (there's always those select few): http://www.thepublicreviews.com/houdini-grand-theatre-blackpool/

The ''critic'' (or blogger), Beth Walthaus only gave the production one-and-a-half star.

Selected Quotes:
    The first 30 minutes of the production played as though these actors were seeing their lines for the first time – the tone from all of them appeared to be as though they were somewhat bored of the whole experience.

[...]

The production does have some shining moments of potential brilliance, but even they need some work – the final scene of the first act, where Houdini (Jamie Nichols) performs the Chinese water torture cell act is surely the highlight of the production, despite it not being treated as such. Clever lighting was supposed to give the audience members “snapshots” of Houdini escaping the cell, with his worried wife watching on, ready to smash the cell to release him if needs be. At this point, the tension should really be mounting. Instead it climaxed with badly lit shadows of a man writhing within a box, next to a seemingly hysterical woman attempting to yell over the increasingly loud and “dramatic” sounds playing in the background.

[...]

Evanna Lynch as Bess Houdini plays the dutiful wife very well, but the hints at a somewhat emotional relationship between herself and Theo Houndini (Stuart Brennan) is somewhat at odds with the loving wife seeking mediums to speak to her dead husband that we see at the end of the production. Whilst the sentiment behind the ending is touching – it is not executed well. For a moment that is supposed to reaffirm the love between Houdini and his wife, it was so cheesy and over the top that many in the audience actually laughed. In this case, less may very well have been more.
    edited September 2013
    Interview with Evanna Lynch and the cast of Houdini | Gaiety Theatre

[Very long, dated interview of Houdini - watch out for the many careless spelling and grammar errors, keep in mind, from a published source; Selected Quotes:]
    Stuart: So this story is all about Harry Houdini and his brother Theo - who was a great magician in his own right. But Harry got the big break and became number one internationally and we explore that rivalry and the complex between the two brothers and of course Bess - Harry's loving wife who comes in between them and almost the peace maker at times… sometimes the point of conflict… and it's a journey of two brothers and how somebody sacrifices an awful lot to get to the top

I believe Bess was originally romantically invalid with Theo as well?

Jamie: There's a really nice underlying love story. So Bess was married to Harry. But it's true, they (Theo and Bess) did go on a date… so there's always those sort of tensions - I think they're always there and I think when times get rough and times get hard sometimes they come to the surface more than people might like.

[...]

Evanna, are you involved in the tricks at all?

Evanna: I have one trick. I've got a vanishing act, but it's not like that… it's not hardcore. But I am instrumental in helping the other tricks going well. She has to know the trick inside out they way they do so she doesn't expose certain parts of it, doesn't show when he's still there, when he's still struggling, things like that.

[...]

What's the first thing you're going to treat yourselves to when you finish up?

[...]

Jamie: Some of Evanna's Mum's cherry cake… and then a pizza and a cheesecake.

Evanna, will you introduce the guys to any Irish specialties when they're here?

Stuart: YES!

Evanna: I don't know if we'll have time because we'll have a show overnight, but I guess maybe I can get my mum to cook cause my mum's a really good cook.

Bess seems like quit a complex character, especially when you consider the man she loves is constantly putting his life on the line, how did you approach the role?

Evanna: Well the same as everyone, I just did a lot of reading. I wrote down everything she said about him. I think that's really important. And I remember when I was reading one book it said "oh a good source for us was this book" but it was skewed because it was told from the point of a loving wife, which was great for me. But yeah, I just found qualities about him that I really liked and Jamie reads as well and he shares things about her. It's good to have all these people around and just talk about the character. We've haven't gotten to the bit in the show yet where their lives are at risk but I think there will be a lot of adrenaline and it will be nerve-racking going through it on the night every night because as they've been saying, they are real stunts and these are real people that I care about and I don't want to mess up.

[...]

You’re all living together at the moment, what are the off stage relationships like - does the proximity ever get to intense?

Evanna: I think it's fun because we all love the story and love our characters and there's been a few scenes where some characters might not be needed but most people just stay in because they enjoy it. It's great… again we learn new things everyday so it's great to go through that together.

Jamie: There was a scene last week we were doing and I don't know if I felt tired but I just felt like I wasn't getting it. And you (Evanna) just gave me a look, there was a look you gave me and you were thinking about your character and it sucked me straight back in. People just love their characters and when they say something it makes you listen and it really has rubbed off.

[...]

You can add no magic/escapism to your CV but have any of you got any other oddities on there already?

[...]

Evanna: Everytime on the language section I put Irish and people are like "that's not a language". And I'm like "Yes… it is!" They don't think it's a language!

[...]

Evanna, I can’t not bring up Harry Potter... have you found the part to be a hindrance at all in terms of breaking away from Luna?

Evanna: I don't really want to shake it. I think it's been such a blessing to me. It's opened so many doors and I also think like she was such an eccentric character, it stands out. It's a way for people to remember me for that, so I'm glad. And I know I'm confident that when I meet people I can change their mind that I'm not that and I can be something else. Like having a character be that extreme, be that quirky and different gives me the chance to go the opposite direction. If I had just played a random kid in a Hogwarts uniform it wouldn't be as much of a statement to do something different so yeah it's just been a great opportunity and I'm always flattered when people identify me with the character.

You’re living in LA at the moment - how are you getting on over there and do you have anything else in the pipeline?

Evanna: I'm just focusing on Houdini at the moment. I did a teen comedy a while ago - it did the festival circuit but I think now it's getting its theatrical release early next year. It's called GBF. So I did that and it was fun, but no at the moment I'm just focusing on Houdini and I just did my Yoga Teaching Cert, so I've got that (laughs). My mom wanted me to have at least one sensible job.

And finally if Luna got a spinoff movie would you do it?

Evanna: 100%. I'm always at Warner Bros for that. Where is it? I want my TV show (laughs).
    Rest of the interview can be found at the Source: http://entertainment.ie/theatre/feature/Interview-with-Evanna-Lynch-and-the-cast-of-Houdini-Gaiety-Theatre/210/4769.htm
    edited September 2013
    Harry Potter star Evanna Lynch talks Houdini at Swansea Grand Theatre
    From magic in the movies to magic on-stage, Evanna Lynch speaks to MARK REES ahead of her visit to the city.

T'S such a coincidence," says Evanna Lynch of the fact that, having originally made her name starring as loveable witch Luna Lovegood in the mind-blowingly successful Harry Potter series of films, she now returns in another magical show.

"I'm just drawn to things that are a bit different," she says of her decision to appear as Bess in Houdini, the new play which combines illusion and drama into a unique theatre-going experience.

Not that the supernatural magic of Hogwarts is comparable with the sleight of hand illusions performed by the true masters of their trade - such as the great Harry Houdini.

"It's traditional magic this time. It's old school," says Evanna, who is currently enjoying her first taste of performing in a touring play.

"It's going great. It's a new experience, and I'm seeing things in a different light."

"People assume that because I did Harry Potter I'm experienced, but I'm not. I'm learning new things all the time. Even things like a stage call are new to me as I've been away from it all."

But it's not just the basics of stage craft that Evanna has been learning – she's even had to try her hand at a spot of health and safety.

"Anyone who's not involved in the tricks needs to know how to help out in case something goes wrong," she explains.

"There's one trick where Houdini gets submerged in water and he has to hold his breath, and the assistant needs to know how to smash the tank if it goes wrong. So no pressure!" she laughs.

But it's not all watching from the side-lines for Evanna. She even gets a chance to join in herself.

"I do one trick in it," she says. "But it's a secret!"

But as Evanna points out, the tricks are only one part of the show, which delves into the lives, dreams and obsessions of the two Houdini brothers.

"It's not just a magic show," says Evanna.

"Most of it is the acting, exploring the cost of being such an icon. The two brothers encompass the lengths people will and won't go to; it's a show within a show.

"Every icon that we grew up with fades away. But these people were amazing. I just love to explore the backstory, and it inspires me to do the same."

Of the two brothers, Evanna likens herself more to the single-mindedness of Harry, as portrayed by Jamie Nichols, rather than his more reserved brother, brought to life by BAFTA winner and Houdini playwright Stuart Brennan.

"I'm an all or nothing person," she says.

"I just admire people who can find what they love to do and let it kill them if it comes to it.

"The Harry Houdini story doesn't need to be embellished. It's a special kind of story, and it's historically accurate."

Acting aside, Evanna is also looking forward to arriving in Swansea, having had some memorable visits to Wales before.

"I remember going with my family on a holiday to the place with the longest name – which no, I can't say!" she laughs, with reference to Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwyll- llantysiliogogogoch.

And more recently, she was here filming one of the more poignant moments in the Harry Potter films.

"I was there for Dobie's [lol; Dobby's] funeral," she says of the memorable scene filmed at Freshwater West beach in Pembrokeshire.

"That was a beautiful place. We were there for three weeks, and they built this lovely shell cottage."

And it is to the Harry Potter series that Evanna will be eternally grateful for her current level of fame.

"Harry Potter has done nothing but open doors for me" she says of her unique place in cinema history.

And while their time on the screen might be over, Evanna is still in contact with her magical co-stars.

"We're always keeping in touch, following each other on Twitter and Facebook," she says.

"The whole experience has been very humbling. I love meeting the fans, it's a lovely feeling just to be yourself and have fun with it. I keep expecting it to go away."
    Read more: http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/Harry-Potter-star-Evanna-Lynch-talks -Houdini/story-19818696-detail/story.html#ixzz2gH96vzBc
    Follow us: @thisisswales on Twitter | thisissouthwales on Facebook

Twitter.com/chrisrankin/status/384079511069159424?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C7023029757
  • chesterchester Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's really sad :(
    imageimageimage
  • Lord StaffordLord Stafford Posts: 27,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RIP, Robyn. :(

Lord Stafford.
    http://charlottekane.wordpress.com/2013/09/29/houdini/

"Windsor, go & see @HoudiniThePlay @Evy_Lynch does the most amazing New York accent & @stubrennan @JamieNichols69are incredible too :-D ".
    edited September 2013
    Thank you for sharing. This is truly heartbreaking. Such a beautiful little girl gone too soon. :(

Cannot believe you are gone. Rest in peace, beautiful Robyn. Such a bright, fun and amazing girl who I feel privileged to have known. The top pic is from 2009 when we first met and the bottom from just a few weeks ago. Robyn really put things in perspective for me and I will never forget her playfulness and positivity even in the face of such struggle and pain. She just accepted things and got on with life, doing the things she wanted to do. Please send love to Robyn and her wonderful family robyngenavievex to give them strength and support.

7.06 am 9/29/2013
    Robyn Genavieve Higgins 19.03.02 ~ 29.09.13

1.28 am 9/29/2013
    http://statigr.am/p/555521111130348017_257907533

Sleep well beautiful girl, Robyn Genivieve Higgins @RobynsAppeal Sending love & light to Lisa, Greg & Tommy. Xxx

— Evanna Lynch (@Evy_Lynch) September 29, 2013
    Post edited by jdnight on
    Selected Quotes:
    I am not a very big theatre fan, so when I found out that Evanna Lynch (Luna Lovegood from the Harry Potter movies) was staring in a show called Houdini that was playing in Swansea, I knew that I had to attend. And I am so thankful that I did. I didn’t know what to expect and was not very much aware of the Houdini Brothers story although I had some information I had heard growing up.

[...]

I was in awe when Evanna came out and I found myself getting teary that I was that close to her (being a big Harry Potter fan).

[...]

It was soon clear that the brothers were not on the same level – Harry was offered a position with Martin Beck, but only without his brother. Harry declined this but Theo told him it was a great opportunity and let his brother – and wife/assistant Bess – move onto bigger and better things. But it wasn’t long before fame and jealously started to kick in. Harry’s fame got to his head and he started to forget about the people that were important to him – his brother and his wife. He was obsessed with being perfect but didn’t realise that his life around his was falling apart.

[...]

Unfortunately, Harry’s life was brought to an end at the age of 52. The play ended with a look at 10 years in the future when Harry appears to Bess and gives her snow – which she always loved. And the audience were treated to foam being showered during this scene.

[...]

The acting in the play was flawless and although there had been a few things that had gone wrong according to Evanna, I was unable to find any faults with the show. The acting was fantastic and well rehearsed. The play ran at a good speed and allowed us to see the important parts of the lives of the Houdini Brothers. There was a good mix of humorous parts, breath taking parts and tear jerking parts and it was brought together in a fast paced, well researched manner.

And to top off the evening I got to meet the wonderful Evanna and Chris Rankin who was also in the Harry Potter movies as Percy Weasley.

If this play was to be shown again next year and following years, with the same actors, I would be more than happy to see it again and again and continue to be entranced with the lives of these two brothers – who despite being apart – were nothing without the other.

Have we mentioned that @hankgreen is writing a HP fanfic that's being narrated by him and @Evy_Lynch? Get it here: http://t.co/ouTEk752iD

— TheHPAlliance (@TheHPAlliance) September 20, 2013
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=biEYP1mF3cg&sns=tw

www.youtube.com/watch?v=biEYP1mF3cg&sns=tw

Aw, thanks. Much better quality than what I've previously seen.

edited October 2013
    Okay, this isn't embedding properly. Fuck you, Twitter. :(

Edit: Fixed.

A dramatic exit is significantly less dramatic when you get lost in/eaten by the curtain...3 times. :( Tomorrow will be better!!

— Evanna Lynch (@Evy_Lynch) September 30, 2013

@Evy_Lynch Oh no, poor girl, tomorrow is a new day, do not worry, smile :D

— Jahar's Pz (@AAbbeyRoad) September 30, 2013

@Evy_Lynch channel your inner haughty-cat-who-fell-over-but-pretended-it-was-intentional

— Jacinda Straka (@jacindastraka) September 30, 2013

@Evy_Lynch I got trapped on stage once when the door I had to exit through didn't open. I had to exit dramatically through the french window

— Chris Rankin (@chrisrankin) October 1, 2013

@Evy_Lynch make it 4 times today ha ha!

— Ryan Turner (@ryanturner2) October 1, 2013

Wearing a £15,000 pair of authentic Houdini handcuffs. No biggie.

4.31 am 10/3/201
    http://statigr.am/p/558512511704544433_245989268

Lovely, props for Houdini.

I really wish they would create and release a trailer/TV spot for Houdini, but I know they won't unless it becomes a bigger show. :(
    @yonythemoony Much better photo.

Oh, this is what she's doing:
    Evanna Lynch, who played Luna Lovegood in the Harry Potter films, and who is currently touring in a new play about the life of Harry Houdini, playing his wife, models a pair of handcuffs at Leicester Square's Hippodrome which Houdini used in one of his most famous escape routines.
    Source: http://huff.to/174R6ST | http://homes.yahoo.com/photos/evanna-lynch-photocall-london-photo-111610976.html

Evanna Lynch to attend Armageddon Expo in Australia & New Zealand in October
    Harry Potter actress Evanna Lynch is all set to visit Down Under this October. She will be attending the annual Armageddon Expo in both Melbourne and Auckland later this year. Along with Evanna, the Expo will also see international stars from Doctor Who, Lord of the Rings, Supernatural, The Walking Dead and more in attendance.

All the details of the event can be seen below:

Melbourne
    October 19-20
    9:00 AM – 6:00 PM
    Melbourne Showgrounds
    Tickets: here.

Auckland
    October 25-28
    Friday: 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM, Saturday/Sunday/Monday: 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM
    ASB Showgrounds, Greenlane
    Tickets: here.

There’s an online token system for Autographs and Photos, that will go on sale from October 4.
    Source: http://lunafans.net/2013/09/evanna-lynch-to-attend-armageddon-expo-in-australia-new-zealand-in-october/
    Haven't seen this before:

This is from the Irish Daily Star, a tabloid newspaper, so... :/

Source: http://lunafans.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=238

Houdini Plaque Unveiled in London

'Houdini' cast members Stuart Brennan, Evanna Lynch, Jamie Nichols, Peter Snee and expert Paul Zenon attend the unveiling of a plaque to Houdini in London. The event, which took place at the Hippodrome, also had some of the stars trying to escape from Harry Houdini's original handcuffs.
    (October 3, 2013 - Source: PacificCoastNews.com)

Source: http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/_R0PsQphkWp/Houdini+Plaque+Unveiled+London/HFuSSfPUkaL