Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

The Official Alexandre Desplat Thread

yonythemoonyyonythemoony Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2012 in General

So, I wanted to make a official thread for this wonderful composer, and to talk, not just about his HP scores, but his recent and upcoming proyects.

Alexandre Desplat to Score Dreamworks Animation’s ‘Rise of the Guardians’ and Ben Affleck’s ‘Argo’

Alexandre Desplat has been hired to score the upcoming Dreamworks Animation feature Rise of the Guardians. The movie is based on the book series The Guardians of Childhood by William Joyce (Meet the Robinsons) who is also co-directing the film with Peter Ramsey. The movie follows a group of heroic childhood legends, including Santa Claus (voiced by Alec Baldwin), the Easter Bunny (Hugh Jackman), the Tooth Fairy (Isla Fisher) and Jack Frost (Chris Pine) who teaming up to stop Pitch the Boogeyman (Jude Law) from sending the world into eternal darkness. Joyce has also co-written the film’s script with David Lindsay-Abaire (Robots, Rabbit Hole). Christina Steinberg (Bee Movie) and Nancy Bernstein are producing the project and Guillermo del Toro and Michael Siegel (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) serve as executive producers. Rise of the Guardians marks Desplat’s first major animated feature and also his first project for Dreamworks. The movie is set to be release on November 21, 2012.

The prolific composer has also yet another high profile project coming up later this year. He will be scoring the thriller Argo, his first movie for director Ben Affleck who also stars in the film as Tony Mendez, the CIA exfiltration expert who created a fake Hollywood production to get six Americans who were hiding out at the Canadian ambassador’s out of Iran. Alan Arkin, John Goodman, Bryan Cranston, Taylor Schilling and Kyle Chandler are co-starring. Chris Terrio has written the screenplay based on an article in Wired from Joshuah Bearman. George Clooney & Grant Heslov (The Men Who Stare at Goats, Good Night, and Good Luck) and David Klawans (Nacho Libre) are producing the Smoke House and GK Films production. Desplat has previously worked with Clooney and Heslov on last year’s The Ides of March. Argo is currently in post-production and will be released on September 28, 2012 by Warner Bros. Pictures.
http://filmmusicreporter.com/2012/02/10/alexandre-desplat-to-score-dreamworks-animations-rise-of-the-guardians-and-ben-afflecks-argo/

Seems like this 2012 is going to be packed for Desplat!

Comments

• yonythemoonyyonythemoony Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bump
    double bump
  • RichardRichard Posts: 48,700 mod
    Epic!
  • JasonJason Posts: 7,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope he wins that Grammy he's nominated for tomorrow.
  • silverarrowgriffinsilverarrowgriffin Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ooh.Rise of the Guardians sounds interesting :D
    imageimage
    imageimage
    edited February 2012
    Hope he wins that Grammy he's nominated for tomorrow.

It would be a good consolation for the snub at the Oscar nominations.
    Desplat won! But, for The King's Speech.
  • aaronaaron Posts: 20,950 mod
    Desplat won! But, for The King's Speech.
    Best Score? But that's a 2010 film :O
    imageimageimage
    edited February 2012
    The Grammy nominates scores from almost two years ago. John Williams won for Munich in 2007. The score was made in 2005. Also, Tron: Legacy and Black Swan we're nominated. Those we're in 2010. DH2 is the only 2011 score nominated.
  • silverarrowgriffinsilverarrowgriffin Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hdgfhgsdfgs awwwwww.i wanted DH2 to win!!! at least he won though
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • BaneBane Posts: 9,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Desplat is so good, a score he wrote about two years ago won the Grammy.
    What's weird is that the Grammy nominates movies from two years ago, and still they choose nominate Desplat for DH2 instead of DH1.
    edited February 2012
    If anybody want it, I can pass the Academy Promo soundtrack of The Ides Of March.
  • Martin1Martin1 Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, looks like Potter had the best 2011 soundtrack according to the grammys because it was the only one nominated, possibly.
    Nah, I'm sure they'll nominate other 2011 scores next year.
  • Martin1Martin1 Posts: 7,844 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nah, I'm sure they'll nominate other 2011 scores next year.
    Oh true.
    For those of you who didn't know. Desplat scored a videogame (the cutscenes for the PS2/Gamecube versions):

And the opening/end credits for the 9/11 anthology:

edited March 2012
    New soundtrack announced:

filmmusicreporter.com/2012/03/02/cloclo-soundtrack-details/

It's only one cue, but seems that it's a 15 minutes suite. Last year, Desplat wrote 20 minutes of music for La Fille Du Puisatier.
    http://www.amazon.fr/Cloclo/dp/B007GIXSKS/ref=sr_shvl_album_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330828161&sr=301-1

You can hear a sample of the Desplat cue, it's a 16 minutes suite.
    New proyect for Desplat:

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2012/03/24/alexandre-desplat-scoring-big-house/

And a photo with George Clooney:

http://www.justjared.com/2012/04/02/marion-cotillard-first-look-at-rust-bone/

Sounds like Desplat is going to be really busy this month. Rust And Bone, and Big House, will be released on May for Cannes (though for Big House it's a rumour that it will be presented there). Asuming that he finished Rust And Bone, he's going to be really busy with Big House, which it was confirmed to score it a week ago.
    edited May 2012
    http://pitchfork.com/news/46377-wes-andersons-moonrise-kingdom-soundtrack-check-out-the-tracklist-and-a-piece-of-the-score/

You can hear a cue from Moonrise Kingdom. Very much like Fantastic Mr. Fox (including the banjo and choir) and The Tree Of Life. The CD will have five Desplat cues.
    You said you don't listen to your own scores, but do you follow the reactions at all? Do you read anything about them? Do you listen in to what people are saying about them?

Desplat: Yea, there is no way you can get away from critics. It's all over the net. Sometimes it's useful to read things, good or bad. Sometimes it's painful. Sometimes it stupid because they say stupid things. Like you read that it's a great scene, people love your music in the scene in Birth when Nicole Kidman is at the opera and she is listening to Wagner and people think it's my music. It's certainly embarrassing. I like that people think I write as good as Wagner, but... it's part of the game.

I try not to be to... I always try to... Even the painful ones I try to understand and make it into a positive thing. You know, understand that maybe there is something I could... there's maybe something right even if it's wrong. If it resonates that way for someone, then that may be something to think about. I can be humbled always. And the great masters I've met from David Raksin to Henry Mancini, and Maurice Jarre, they were very humble. So I would be stupid to not be that way, too.
    I love Desplat's humilty here. By the way, he'll be on Cannes giving a masterclass on film music on May 19:

http://www.festival-cannes.fr/en/article/58962.html
  • UniversHarryPotter.cUniversHarryPotter.c Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    some days ago i was watching an french show and learnt that Alexandre Desplat have wrote the score of "Oh mon bateau" an song of Eric Morena just shock

Eric Morena - Oh Mon Bateau! Vidéo gotti57 sélectionnée dans Musique
    imageimage
    Sound clips of Rust And Bone:

www.amazon.fr/rouille-dos-Bande-originale-film/dp/B0081GOQ0K/ref=sr_shvl_album_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336724216&sr=301-1
    Conrad Pope posted on Facebook that he finished his work on Desplat's score for Argo. Mentioned that the score is very ethnic.
    Confirmed: Desplat is a robot. That's why he never sleeps and he's always scoring films.

filmmusicreporter.com/2012/05/13/alexandre-desplat-scoring-renoir/

It's now seven 2012 proyects which he already took care since December. Moonrise Kingdom, Cloclo, Rust And Bone, Reality, The polanski documentary, Renoir and Argo. Seven in just six months!

lol Desplat.
    He's thinking.
    Thinking like a Lovegood xD
    edited May 2012
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304203604577397852162876534.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Since that the only thing that Desplat wrote for Moonrise Kingdom is the seven part suite called The Heroic Weather Conditions of the Universe.
    For people who don't know how to pronunce his name, Desplat says how:
    "I've been nominated for four Oscars and they alway read my name out wrong," he tells me. "It's Day-plah, I say, no S, no T, and yet every time they read the nominations: Alexander Dessplatt." Maybe they're waiting till he actually wins one to get it right, I venture? "In that case, I will be very forgiving."
    Also, Desplat being a BAMF on his masterclass in Cannes:
    I have more pics
    imageimageimageimageimage

Alexandre is also nominated for the 7th "Prix France Musique-Sacem" for movie score , The Artist music composer is also nominated
    Result November 12th
    imageimage
    Nice!
    Badass. Damn. That suave son of a bitch.

LMAO. Perfect.
    I imagine Desplat saying it with his voice and it's awesome.
    During the masterclass he gave some day ago he speak about Williams Score
    I try to found again the article and translate it for you
    imageimage
    Thanks!

LMAO. He scored Fantastic Mr. Fox having the actual puppets of the characters right there.
    Here you can download the Moonrise Kingdom soundtrack:

http://bitshare.com/files/sjxlmzg7/MoonK.rar.html
    edited June 2012
    Desplat is not going to score Emperor, the movie with Matthew Fox and Tommy Lee Jones. Seems that next year he's going to really take it easily. He's only confirmed to score Zulu, a movie with Djimon Hounson and Orlando Bloom. And except Rise of the Guardians, which he must be working on it right now, I don't think he has other proyects for the year. But again, he was only confirmed to three films for this year and he has scored seven, the Polanski documentary and his short film.
  • Lord_DarkeyesLord_Darkeyes Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭✭
    This guy is beast. Nuff said.
    image image image

Totally would be interesting to have Desplat scoring a Bond film (the closest thing of it was Largo Winch).
    How Desplat managed to rework one of his themes for La Fille Du Puisatier in Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close with a even better emotion:

• Lord_DarkeyesLord_Darkeyes Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭✭
    Found her, muahaha!

Behold, the voice of Lily's Theme image
    image image image

• Lord StaffordLord Stafford Posts: 27,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    She has such a beautiful and haunting voice.

Lord Stafford.