Welcome to Harry Potter Forum! Below you will find many interesting threads and discussions. Enjoy.

A Song Of Ice & Fire - Official Discussion Thread ~ Game Of Thrones

Wolf_PotterWolf_Potter Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2012 in General
A Song of Ice and Fire is a series of epic fantasy novels by George R. R. Martin.

Martin began writing the series in 1991 and the first volume was published in 1996.
Originally planned as a trilogy, the series now consists of five published volumes;
a further two are planned. The fourth and fifth volumes reached the top of
The New York Times bestseller lists in 2005 and 2011.
Critics have described Martin's work as dark and cynical.
Martin is well known for killing off important characters as being necessary for the
story's depth.

A Game Of Thrones
imageimage

Published - August 1996.
"Long ago, in a time forgotten, a preternatural event threw the seasons
out of balance. In a land where summers can last decades and winters a lifetime,
trouble is brewing. The cold is returning, and in the frozen wastes to the north of
Winterfell, sinister and supernatural forces are massing beyond the kingdom’s protective Wall.
At the center of the conflict lie the Starks of Winterfell, a family as harsh and unyielding as the
land they were born to. Sweeping from a land of brutal cold to a distant summertime
kingdom of epicurean plenty, here is a tale of lords and ladies, soldiers and sorcerers,
assassins and bastards, who come together in a time of grim omens.

Here an enigmatic band of warriors bear swords of no human metal; a tribe of fierce
wildlings carry men off into madness; a cruel young dragon prince barters his sister to win
back his throne; and a determined woman undertakes the most treacherous of journeys.
Amid plots and counterplots, tragedy and betrayal, victory and terror, the fate of the Starks,
their allies, and their enemies hangs perilously in the balance, as each endeavors to
win that deadliest of conflicts: the game of thrones."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Clash Of Kings

Published - November 1998.
"A comet the color of blood and flame cuts across the sky. And from the ancient citadel
of Dragonstone to the forbidding shores of Winterfell, chaos reigns. Six factions struggle
for control of a divided land and the Iron Throne of the Seven Kingdoms, preparing to stake
their claims through tempest, turmoil, and war. It is a tale in which brother plots against
brother and the dead rise to walk in the night. Here a princess masquerades as an orphan boy;
a knight of the mind prepares a poison for a treacherous sorceress; and wild men descend
from the Mountains of the Moon to ravage the countryside. Against a backdrop of incest
and fratricide, alchemy and murder, victory may go to the men and women possessed of
the coldest steel...and the coldest hearts. For when kings clash, the whole land trembles."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Storm Of Swords

Published - August 2000.
"Of the five contenders for power, one is dead, another in disfavor, and still the
wars rage as violently as ever, as alliances are made and broken. Joffrey, of House Lannister,
sits on the Iron Throne, the uneasy ruler of the land of the Seven Kingdoms. His most
bitter rival, Lord Stannis, stands defeated and disgraced, the victim of the jealous sorceress
who holds him in her evil thrall. But young Robb, of House Stark, still rules the North from
the fortress of Riverrun. Robb plots against his despised Lannister enemies, even as they
hold his sister hostage at King’s Landing, the seat of the Iron Throne. Meanwhile, making
her way across a blood-drenched continent is the exiled queen, Daenerys, mistress
of the only three dragons still left in the world. . . .
A supernatural army of the living dead whose animated corpses
are unstoppable. As the future of the land hangs in the balance, no one will rest
until the Seven Kingdoms have exploded in a veritable storm of swords. . ."

A Feast For Crows

Published - October 2005.
"It seems too good to be true. After centuries of bitter strife and fatal treachery,
the seven powers dividing the land have decimated one another into an uneasy truce.
Or so it appears. . . . With the death of the monstrous King Joffrey, Cersei is ruling as
regent in King’s Landing. Robb Stark’s demise has broken the back of the Northern rebels,
and his siblings are scattered throughout the kingdom like seeds on barren soil. Few legitimate
claims to the once desperately sought Iron Throne still exist—or they are held in hands
too weak or too distant to wield them effectively. The war, which raged out of control
for so long, has burned itself out. But as in the aftermath of any climactic struggle, it is not long
before the survivors, outlaws,
renegades, and carrion eaters start to gather, picking over the bones of the dead and fighting
for the spoils of the soon-to-be dead. Now in the Seven Kingdoms, as the human crows assemble
over a banquet of ashes, daring new plots and dangerous new alliances are formed, while surprising
faces—some familiar, others only just appearing—are seen emerging from an ominous twilight of
past struggles and chaos to take up the challenges ahead. It is a time when the wise and the ambitious,
the deceitful and the strong will acquire the skills,
the power, and the magic to survive the stark and terrible times that lie before them. It is a time
for nobles and commoners, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and sages to come together and
stake their fortunes . . . and their lives. "

A Dance With Dragons

Published - July 2011.
"In the aftermath of a colossal battle, the future of the Seven Kingdoms hangs in the balance
once again--beset by newly emerging threats from every direction. In the east, Daenerys Targaryen,
the last scion of House Targaryen, rules with her three dragons as queen of a city built on dust and death.
But Daenerys has three times three thousand enemies, and many have set out to find her.
Yet, as they gather, one young man embarks upon his own quest for the queen,
with an entirely different goal in mind.
To the north lies the mammoth Wall of ice and stone--a structure only as strong as those guarding it.
There, Jon Snow, 998th Lord Commander of the Night’s Watch, will face his greatest challenge yet.
For he has powerful foes not only within the Watch but also beyond, in the land of the creatures of ice.
And from all corners, bitter conflicts soon reignite, intimate betrayals are perpetrated, and a
grand cast of outlaws and priests, soldiers and skinchangers, nobles and slaves, will face seemingly
insurmountable obstacles. Some will fail, others will grow in the strength of darkness.
But in a time of rising restlessness, the tides of destiny and politics will lead inevitably
to the greatest dance of all. . . . ."

The Winds of Winter

FORTHCOMING

A Dream of Spring

FORTHCOMING

HBO Adaptation

Season 1: April 2011
Season 2: April 2012

The growing popularity of the series led to it being optioned by HBO for development of a television adaptation,
Game of Thrones, after the first novel. The series premiered on April 17, 2011 to great acclaim and ratings,
and two days later the network picked the show up for a second season. Shortly after the conclusion of the
first season, the show received 13 Emmy Award nominations, including Outstanding Drama and
Outstanding Supporting Actor.

imageimage
imageimage
Post edited by Isaiah on

Comments

• Wolf_PotterWolf_Potter Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    That was long xD

This series became my new obsession LOL!

I'm currently reading the first book (Loving it so far)
    And watching the first season, which is phenomenal.
    I love the storytelling, the way the characters are
    described.

Has anyone read one of these? :)
    Post edited by Wolf_Potter on
  • NickNick Posts: 20,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ive read the first 2 books there amazing!!! the HBO T.V Series is awesome.
    ive read the first 2 books there amazing!!! the HBO T.V Series is awesome.
    Awesome! I'm on the first one!

The series just WOW!
    The acting, the picture,
    the music, effects,
    everything is perfect!
    Oh and the ladys ;)
  • CarneCarne Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭
    I'm about halfway into the second book :)
    I'm about halfway into the second book :)
    And what are your thoughts so far?
    Loving it!

I read the first one after watching the show. I must say they did a fantastic job adapting it.
    the second season of Game of Thrones starts on april 27th 2012 FYI.
    Loving it!

I read the first one after watching the show. I must say they did a fantastic job adapting it.
    Agreed. Just imagine, it's like a 10 hour movie :) 900 pages to 10 hours.
    Yeah and the second book will be edited here at my country with a promo from season 2 just like they did with the first one, with Sean Bean's promo as the cover of the book :)
  • dobby_freak19dobby_freak19 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭✭
    Only seen the 1st season. I loved it.
    Are the books great?
    Hope you like it!
    edited December 2011
    Are the books great?

So far I think the books are great. Although there's almost no point in reading the first book if you've watched season 1, as they're so close.
    Are the books great?
    If the series is rated 9.4 of 10, just imagine how good the books are :)
  • dobby_freak19dobby_freak19 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭✭
    Are the books great?

So far I think the books are great. Although there's almost no point in reading the first book if you've watched season 1, as they're so close.
    That close?? So i skip to book 2? :P
    Hope you like it!
    Are the books great?

That close?? So i skip to book 2? :P
    You should read it anyways!
    Imagine having all the saga
    without the first one xD
    I think you should read it!
    And as we are from the same
    country, let me tell you
    that a new Editorial (Latin Edition)
    is releasing the books with
    latin language, and with Sean
    Bean's promo as the cover.
    They have released the first
    one so far. They are planing
    to release each book ever
    3 months, so, we are expecting
    the second book until march!
  • MattCatMattCat Posts: 372 ✭✭✭
    The first three books are great and some of the strongest fantasy out there. Crows and Dragon are both plodding, over-long and suffer from almost no plot development. At al. The show's good but I don't see it lasting past Storm, if I'm honest.
    edited December 2011
    Look at these shots :x

Amazing! :)
    Oh and Natalia Tena is there:

And she's nude in the second book, so hopefully they did a good job adapting that, if you know what I mean ;)
    And she's nude in the second book, so hopefully they did a good job adapting that, if you know what I mean ;)

Let's hope they do a good adaptation...

• NumberEightNumberEight Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Song of Ice and Fire is a series of epic fantasy novels by a Hobbit George R. R. Martin.

I have only seen the television series, and it is quite good.
    Pottermore username: DustBlade76

So Crucify the ego, before it's far too late, to leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical. And you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable.
    A Song of Ice and Fire is a series of epic fantasy novels by a Hobbit George R. R. Martin.

I have only seen the television series, and it is quite good.
    LOL!

I highly recommend you the book :)
  • I got a House Stark Tshirt for christmas saying "King in the North" I love it :)

But I'm gonna side with House Lannister
    I got a House Stark Tshirt for christmas saying "King in the North" I love it :)

But I'm gonna side with House Lannister
    That's awesome! Would like to see it :)

I hate the Lannisters! My faves are
    the Starks and Targaryen!
    the lannisters are a bunch of inbred assholes. i hope Rob Stark Kills Jamie.
    the lannisters are a bunch of inbred assholes.
    Indeed. The only one I kind of 'like'
    is Tyrion, but the Queen and the Prince X(
    i feel the same way Tyrion seems like the only Lannister with a soul. I cannot stand the Prince he,s another one i would like to see get dispatched.
  • HessHess Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm buying the first book tomorrow! :D I love the tv show, so I decided this is a must read.
    I'm buying the first book tomorrow! :D I love the tv show, so I decided this is a must read.
    Awesome! You are from Latin America
    right? Get the new edition, the one from
    Spain is expensive as hell! ;)
  • KranenKranen Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Random fact: I could go to A Game of Thrones convention next year with some of the actors.

But I'm not.
  • HessHess Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the tip! ;)
    Random fact: I could go to A Game of Thrones convention next year with some of the actors.

But I'm not.
    Because you're worth it.
    lol
    Thanks for the tip! ;)
    Anytime! ;)
  • ezanieezanie Posts: 167 ✭✭
    Guess you haven't read A Storm of Swords yet right? ;)

Anyway, i highly recommend to everyone that haven't read this series to go grab it and read it now! I'm almost 70% of book 3 now and my favorite characters is definitely Arya and Brienne. Both of them kick ass! :D
    no ive only read the first book.
    Guess you haven't read A Storm of Swords yet right? ;)

Anyway, i highly recommend to everyone that haven't read this series to go grab it and read it now! I'm almost 70% of book 3 now and my favorite characters is definitely Arya and Brienne. Both of them kick ass! :D
    Yes! I'm on the first book, and
    Arya is one of my favorites! And
    Jon Snow :)
    i love jon Snow,s Charecter and Arya
  • My favourite character is/was Viserys Targaryen until he got crowned :(

http://store.hbouk.com/detail.php?p=303726&SESSID=a885483bf386a483755a28c41b65922c&v=hbo-uk
    It's that t shirt, it's nice :D

I can't wait to see Joffrey's gets killed. I fucking hate him so much. xD
    My favourite character is/was Viserys Targaryen until he got crowned :(

http://store.hbouk.com/detail.php?p=303726&SESSID=a885483bf386a483755a28c41b65922c&v=hbo-uk
    It's that t shirt, it's nice :D

I can't wait to see Joffrey's gets killed. I fucking hate him so much. xD
    Oh! Don't spoil D:

And I want that shirt!
  • aaronaaron Posts: 20,950 mod
    So yeah, the screencaps alone that were posted have interested me enough to want me to check out the series. I'll probably get time over the summer to watch the first season but I'm a sucker for anything that remotely resembles LOTR, and this looks really good. Thanks for the recommendation. :-bd
    imageimageimage
    So yeah, the screencaps alone that were posted have interested me enough to want me to check out the series. I'll probably get time over the summer to watch the first season but I'm a sucker for anything that remotely resembles LOTR, and this looks really good. Thanks for the recommendation. :-bd
    I'm glad you're interested :)
    Believe me, you won't be
    disappointed! If you're watching
    the first season till the summer you
    will have to watch the second
    season too (well If you like it -and I'm sure you will-) Season 2 starst on April :)

Try the books! They are masterpiece.
    Each season is a book. Good luck bud!
  • Almost bought the book today. But it's so big... Is it really worth it guys?
    image image image
    We'll never be forgiven for what we did.
    Trust me, I'm a Film Grad ;)
    Almost bought the book today. But it's so big... Is it really worth it guys?
    Yes! It's HUGE and the third one
    is like 1200 pages long LOL!

But yeah it's REALLY WORTH IT!

You never get bored. The book
    is told from different point of views.
    Like 10 pages of each character! You
    read like 10-12 pages of a character,
    then u transport to other character,
    and so on. You get to know the characters
    pretty well, and all the characters are
    related! The storytelling is pretty awesome
    and the characters feel pretty real.
    There's war, action, suspense,
    sex (graphic), incest, homosexuality,
    betrayal, fantasy, etc. The book is
    really worth it man, ask anyone who
    has read it! :) Read it!
    Season two VFX will be handled by Pixomondo.

Last season the visual effects for Game of Thrones was handled primarily by two VFX studios,
    Screen Scene and Blue Bolt, and both did a fabulous job. This year, due to increased VFX work,
    these two smaller studios have had to bow out and Thrones producers went searching for a
    larger VFX studio to take over. It appears they have found their replacement.
    Pixomondo is an international visual effects company boasting
    24-hour production capabilities, sharing projects across a global network of 11 facilities
    in Frankfurt, Stuttgart, Berlin, Los Angeles, Shanghai, Beijing, London, Munich, Burbank,
    Toronto and Hamburg. Founded by CEO Thilo Kuther in 2001, Pixomondo has created
    visual effects for more than 30 feature films including Hugo, Super 8, Fast Five,
    Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief, 2012, A Nightmare on Elm Street,
    Ninja Assassin and Sucker Punch. The company is currently in production on upcoming
    features including Red Tails, Snow White and the Huntsman, and TV series including
    Terra Nova and the upcoming season of Game of Thrones. In addition to visual effects,
    Pixomondo delivers the full range of creative, production and post services required
    to produce design-driven storytelling for commercials and special venue projects.
    These are good news! If Season 1's VFX were sublime & breathtaking,
    imagine Season 2's with higher production budget! \m/
    Can't wait! :D Although I'm a bit worried about the VFX,
    I'm sure everything will be more than fine!
    edited January 2012
    It's been moved to APRIL 1ST 2012!

"HBO CONFIRMS DEBUT DATES FOR HBO FILMS’ GAME CHANGE,
    RETURNING SERIES GAME OF THRONES.
    GAME OF THRONES kicks off its ten-episode second season
    SUNDAY, APRIL 1 (9:00-10:00 p.m.). Based on the popular
    book series “A Song of Ice and Fire,” by George R.R. Martin,
    this hit Emmy®-winning fantasy series chronicles an epic
    struggle for power in a vast and violent fantasy kingdom.
    Among the returning members of the ensemble cast are
    Emilia Clarke, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Emmy® winner Peter
    Dinklage, Michelle Fairley, Lena Headey and Kit Harington.
    David Benioff and D.B. Weiss executive produce."

FUCK TO THE YES!
    Peter Dinklage wins a Golden Globe for 'Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series'

George R.R. Martin at the Golden Globes

Emilia Clarke

Martin & Clarke :)

And Lena Headey

• NumberEightNumberEight Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Martin really does look like a blind, obese version of Gandalf. :)
    Pottermore username: DustBlade76

So Crucify the ego, before it's far too late, to leave behind this place so negative and blind and cynical. And you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable.
    Martin really does look like a blind, obese version of Gandalf. :)
    :)) Hahaha Yes! He's like the old version of Al from Toy Story 2 :)) Nah but he's very talented :D
  • JoshieJoshie Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm on Clash of Kings.

I hope to start A storm of swords soon!

• chesterchester Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Spoilers! DONT READ WHEN YOU HAVEN'T SEEN SEASON 1!!!!!!!

Was anyone as surprised as me when
    Sean Bean got beheaded
    ? That was such a surprise to me!
    Post edited by chester on
    imageimageimage